Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
First thing I did when we got our AS was to use letter stamps and put ID's on each of the keys! Still use them all the time!

Brian

(second thing I did was to hide a spare set "somewhere" on the trailer!)
Thank for the information. Is it possible to load a 600 pounds motorcycle in a Eddie Bauer? Thank for your reply.
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toutsi 1957 View Post
Thank for the information. Is it possible to load a 600 pounds motorcycle in a Eddie Bauer? Thank for your reply.
Hopefully someone more familiar with the EB can comment. I would imagine you could fit it in ok, but I don't know enough about that particular trailer nor what tow vehicle you have or what else you carry to really provide meaningful comment.

To do things properly, you would need to ensure that with the bike on board along with all other gear that you carry, that you do not exceed the GVW of the trailer, nor the individual maximum axle ratings.

Also that you are within the CGVWR (combined gross vehicle weight rating) which takes into account both the trailer and tow vehicle.

Of course some folks exceed the ratings and get away with it ok, but I
wouldn't recommend it personally.

Unfortunately my bike has to stay in the garage when we travel with the truck and trailer, The bike weighs in at around 900 lbs.

I might be able to get it in the bed of the pickup, but I'd be reluctant to try without one of those automatic loaders! And in any case, we have a cap on the
pickup and use the back as the "basement" for the trailer!

It probably would exceed the permissible weight ratings anyway - especially with the added weight of the loading device.

We take a couple of mountain bikes instead which I cary on a regular bike rack using a front mounted 2" trailer hitch on the truck.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #23
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I travel with a Triumph scrambler in the back, @ 450 #'s. I weighed my rig fully loaded for full timing and is under max weight specs. Pix in my gallery, threads in EB section.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
I thought my handful of keys was because my trailer is 39 yrs old.
Mine has different keys for:
entry door
refrigerator access door
battery door
water fill door
I have added the following to the ring
Hitch receiver key
Tongue lock key
Key to padlock for generator cable etc...

If you don't have a locking bolt for your hitch receiver or stinger, get one. We just got back from a caravan thru Santa Fe and they told us to put the hitch in the truck or lock it because they have been stolen (to sell for scrap). Someone on the prior caravan had to drive to Albuquerque twice to get his stolen hitch replaced and set up.
These keys are funny because we added locks everywhere one after each other. Tried to buy all new locks from Master but ended with no match. We have 10 keys total plus those for the TV. We also got from AS a lock for the propane reservoir.
Regards to all participants to these forums.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I carry one key for the deadbolt and all other keys are locked in the trailer near the door for easy access. I disabled the door latch key for fear of it locking automatically. I do not hide a key on the trailer and get my wife to carry one spare deadbolt key also. I also keep a duplicate set of keys in the tow vehicle. The Eddie Bauer has one more key from a different manufacturer for the rear hatch otherwise it has many keys like all Airstreams. Too bad they don't go keyless like modern cars and homes. I have a transmitter (FOB) for my vehicle. I don't carry keys anymore except when travelling with the Airstream.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I travel with a Triumph scrambler in the back, @ 450 #'s. I weighed my rig fully loaded for full timing and is under max weight specs. Pix in my gallery, threads in EB section.
Thanks for the info. Regards.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Enjoy!
We filed a small notch or drilled shallow hole and filled with paint to distinguish the various keys ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When our 2014 Classic arrived, the factory had keyed all the external access hatches with the same universal CH751 water compartment key used in the entire industry. So much for security. We were able to rekey them to a unique configuration that was on our pickup camper shell.

We have the two main door keys, the water compartment key, the external storage hatch's key, the door key to the pickup, the battery compartment key (on the 23D) and also a wheel lug nut key socket for the SenDel alert market wheels. The keys for each trailer are on a 1.5" ring that is clipped to an actual climbing Carabeaner that I clip to a belt loop on my pants. We travel with at least three sets of keys - hers, mine and the battle spare trailer set in the truck and battle spare truck door key in the trailer.

I never go outside without my keys as the main door has been known to blow closed and self lock.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Still...a wonderful problem to have. Before long the keys will be second nature. Congratulations on your Airstream and adventures to come!
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:04 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Liberty , Missouri
Yes it is, Westcoastas, your perspective is totally on point. Thank you! If, "a lot of keys", is my biggest concern, then Im living life in the correct direction. Now...for that appropriate tire pressure issue.
Sgtlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #31

Liberty , Missouri
Is your 2012 EB still for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtlegal View Post
Finally got one! New to us, 2012 Eddie Bauer. The people at Bill Thomas Camper Sales in Wenttzville Mo, were wonderful. First outing this weekend, cold nights, great heater; according to wife and daughter. Thanks to everyone posting on this forum, we've learned so much that our first outing was an unqualified success. Just, a lot of keys to figure out.
Sgtlegal-is your 2012 EB still for sale??
natmatt411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
You might want to check out BOLT Lock who makes Padlocks, 6′ Cable Locks, 5/8″ Receiver Locks, 1/2″ Receiver Locks, Coupler Pin Lock, Jeep Locks, Toolbox Latch Retro-Fit Kits, GM Tailgate Handle that can be keyed by the user to match their tow vehicle ignition lock if you want to save on some of the keys you need to carry. I use the padlock on my receiver, the 5/8" receiver lock and the 6' cable lock and use the ignition key that I have with me any way.
I recently discovered Bolt, as well. Trying to use as many of their products as I can to cut down on the number of different keys. Very pleased so far!
2Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
A lot of keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmatt411 View Post
Sgtlegal-is your 2012 EB still for sale??

We will be putting our 2013 Eddie Bauer up for sale shortly if you’re interested
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, I have lots of keys.
Not only the Airstream keys, which I keep in a pencil case- blue.
The door keys are on a leather fob, the door keys without storage lockers on another leather fob (for guests) The storage lockers have either a black rubber ring or a red rubber ring depending if it's for the water door or the storage compartment.
It never leaves the truck.
Then there's the key for the coupler lock, the receiver pin, the Kryptonite lock on the generator, the cable lock for the EMS, on and on. For each of those I use a plastic key tag, printed the label, duplicate the spares, and keep in the truck console.

My rule of thumb is to keep it as simple as possible and never walk away with keys in your pocket, never set them on the bumper!!!
Then when I take a trip, I know where all the keys are.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote