Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
27 EB Fridge Issues

First off hi to all. I purchased a 2014 27 Eddie Bauer and am loving every second of it. Even at 12 degrees it rocks! However sense I bought the Airstream I drove it on her maiden voyage from FL to NC the fridge has stopped working. Just won't cool. On gas or electric. I have tested everything I know. Gas lights, electric is working, no fault codes, moved slider inside fridge and nothing. Just stays at 60 degrees on the screen.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on the matter? I'm to the point of going in to a dealer to have the services guys look at it. It's cold out so nature makes an awesome fridge for now.
vwklick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.Johnson View Post
First off hi to all. I purchased a 2014 27 Eddie Bauer and am loving every second of it. Even at 12 degrees it rocks! However sense I bought the Airstream I drove it on her maiden voyage from FL to NC the fridge has stopped working. Just won't cool. On gas or electric. I have tested everything I know. Gas lights, electric is working, no fault codes, moved slider inside fridge and nothing. Just stays at 60 degrees on the screen.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on the matter? I'm to the point of going in to a dealer to have the services guys look at it. It's cold out so nature makes an awesome fridge for now.
Sounds like you may have a blockage in your cooling unit. It could also be a bad thermistor inside the fridge section, bad control board or upper control unit. You are under both Airstream and Dometic 2 year warranties, so take it back and let them figure it out. If it needs the cooling unit replaced, it should be done NO CHARGE under your warranty.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Sounds electrical if nothing works and simple since everything is out. Does the refrigerator light go on? If not I would find out why the fridge is not getting 12 volt power. Since it is a new trailer, likely culprits are a loose connection. Start at the fuse box and wiggle the refrigerator fuse and then look for loose wires at the back of the fridge.
I would get the manual out and go through the basic trouble shooting steps in it. If that doesn't work I would ask I would ask the local campground expert to take a look. There is always one, ask at the office. If he is stumped, I would call mobile rv service. Sometimes they are authorized Dometic repair people. If not, it may be better to pay for a service call rather than drive to the dealer for repairs.
Good luck, you are lucky that it is cold.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
I had a controller card go out and a loose connector in my wiring harness...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ed-129602.html
Old 01-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
All> Thanks for the ideas. So I did a couple things to test today.
1. Checked all cabling for loose connections. Negative
2. Verified power. 115-118v AC. 12.8-13.5v DC
3. Tried a resistance test on the thermistor. Was reading 6.5k at first. Then with cold water slowly climbed to 8.7k ohms. Took like 10-15min
4. Took some pictures of the backside. I've heard some possibilities of the vent at the top being blocked. From what I can tell all good.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Photos Attached

Hopefully. haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_142120.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	230249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_142126.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	230250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_142143.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	230251  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I believe there is a fuse in the panel in the back of the fridge, check and see, some of them do have the fuse ...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I believe there is a fuse in the panel in the back of the fridge, check and see, some of them do have the fuse ...
Thanks for the info. Tested that too. Both of em actually. You are talking about the one on the Control Board right?

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fairhope , Alabama
Bad Fan

Had a similar problem with my 2013 25 FC RB. Fridge went out, would not work on gas or electric, and temp read 60 F. Turned out to be faulty coil cooling fan. May not be the answer for you in cold ambient, but worth checking. Just open the upper access door on the outside of your fridge and see if the fan is running. You must be getting power if the digital temp is working. I had to locate a campground handy man in Pala Dura Canyon to repair mine. Fortunately he knew the Dometics. Good luck.
Grey Goose 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Goose 2 View Post
Had a similar problem with my 2013 25 FC RB. Fridge went out, would not work on gas or electric, and temp read 60 F. Turned out to be faulty coil cooling fan. May not be the answer for you in cold ambient, but worth checking. Just open the upper access door on the outside of your fridge and see if the fan is running. You must be getting power if the digital temp is working. I had to locate a campground handy man in Pala Dura Canyon to repair mine. Fortunately he knew the Dometics. Good luck.
I'll give that a go for sure. Thanks man. One question... Where is this upper access door on the outside of the fridge?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fairhope , Alabama
Just walk out and look (on the port side). Perhaps the 27' is different, but the 25' has an upper and lower door on the external, traffic side of the trailer. Easy to open, no tools required.
Grey Goose 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Goose 2 View Post
Just walk out and look (on the port side). Perhaps the 27' is different, but the 25' has an upper and lower door on the external, traffic side of the trailer. Easy to open, no tools required.
Oh okay, yeah like the exhaust for it. 27 EB has it on the roof. And is covered with a hood like structure. But if I find a way to get on the roof I'll check.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Simple things first. If propane has run on while fridge is on gas, the fridge needs to be shut off to recycle (same with furnace or water heater). Has happened a couple times, no big deal. One one occasion, fridge simply wouldn't recycle. A kindly forum savior pointed out that like any computer, rebooting the chip by turning off clears registers that expect certain conditions such as when the propane runs out. But turning the fridge off and back to gas or auto is only a partial reboot of the chip. When I shut off power to the trailer by going to Store on the power panel, it allowed the fridge to reset with a full reboot. Might not be your problem, but can't hurt to try.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
It should be covered under warrantee. Have the dealer fix it... free.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Hi,
Just checking, did you ever get your fridge to work?
Did you bring to the dealer?
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #16
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I found mine blinking LP last week. I was running it on 120v, at some time it switched itself to LP and my tank went empty. Switched tanks and got it running on LP. It won't run on 120v. the icon dot for auto will stay along with the icon dot for LP, but they don't switch one for the other. I have 120v at the plug, I tried rebooting from "store" with shore power off. Time for a service call.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Our fridge was doing something like that this weekend while camping.
Turned it off and then on a couple of times and then it seemed to start working. Not blinking anymore and seemed to be chilling.
Will watch for further issues with the fridge.
Anyone else having problems with their fridge?
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Just a status update. I called the closest Airstream dealer. And the service technician told me the weirdest thing. In all his 15 years of working on Airstreams. He ran into an issue where the fridge wouldn't cool. He said that he had to leave the door open and heat the fridge. Once he did that it started to cool. I tried a similar setup, I place a hot cup of water inside the fridge, with thermistor on it. Sure enough the freezer had a ton of frost on it. And the Fridge was reading 48 on the outside screen.
So I tried to duplicate the effect without the hot water, but I can't seem to get it to cool. So I thought it was maybe the thermistor. So I ordered the Snip-The-Tip dealio. Just installed yesterday. I'm crossing my fingers, I must say the ambient temp is pretty cold out, not sure if that has an effect on it or not. And the fridge is completely empty, haven't put anything in it. If this doesn't work I'm taking it to a camping world or something at the end of the week.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
All,
So took it to the dealer. And sure enough the whole cooling unit was bad. Go figure. Brand new and broken. hmm... Doesn't make me happy at all. So on that note, it was purchased from North Trail RV in Fort Lauderdail, Florida. Got a great deal and now I know why. Dometic is replacing it no worries. But still.