Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
No memory foam on our 2015 EB mattress ...yes, to ducted air and quiet! Yes to Clarion and USB charging ports. Also there is now a 1000 watt inverter up from our 2013 EB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-21_08-30-56_835 - Copy.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	222885  

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
San Francisco , California
Our '15 International Signature 27FB came with the dog bone adaptor (50 -> 30 amp), which was included in the external locker along with the anaconda.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
No memory foam on our 2015 EB mattress ...yes, to ducted air and quiet! Yes to Clarion and USB charging ports. Also there is now a 1000 watt inverter up from our 2013 EB.
I know you have said before that you got the first 2015 EB off the line. I wonder if you received your 2015 before the new mattresses arrived.

I have paperwork from Airstream that lists all of the changes for 2015 and the memory foam mattress is listed as a change over the 2014 for the EB 2015 model.

We pick up our Serenity next month, I will let you know if we get the new mattress that is listed as a change for the 2015 Serenity models.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Ours didn't come with memory foam, either.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Are you saying your 2015 does not have the memory foam top or that you do not want it to have that?

I inspected a 2015 this weekend and did not feel like the mattress was particularly feeling like memory foam on top but maybe it's just a thinner amount than often.

I don't really like the stuff on normal mattresses as it stays deformed when you roll around at night and it's always warmer. I've become spoiled by my 8" latex mattress in extra firm/zoned with 4" wool topper.

The charging ports are cute but certainly not absolutely necessary. Some other very basic things would be much more appreciated.

I quizzed the sales person and the head service guy about the ducted air. They don't know much.

What they have no idea about is this: With either a single or double roof unit, can any vents, front or rear, be shut off at the unit in order to have air coming out of just the front or rear vents?

For example, and the idea of purpose, with the non-ducted design, two roof units would allow you to choose from 3 combinations: front only, rear only, or both units running. This would allow just cooling the smaller front or rear section with closure between bedroom/bathroom, front area.

Or for quieter sleeping, have only the front unit on (I'm not so into having a machine running over my head)

I realize the ducting design provides a couple nice things:
-quieter all around
-no roof unit to run into if you're that tall
-visual aesthetics are obviously nice without the units in the ceiling, but then the ducts are all over instead which really breaks up the continuous metal look. (This one is obviously a personal preference)

However, sitting there, thinking about using in winter, or summer too.... the ducting is in the form of several channels throughout the ceiling. This displaces insulation that would be there instead...

Also, in winter, the heat will want to rise into that area which seems easier to escape.

It seems these cool duct ports ought to include covers. They could also be more consistently installed, snug against the ceiling....without gaps on one side on 20% of the ones I saw.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 Ducted dual A/C 30 amp vs. 50 amp

Ducted air is a win. Running A/C or heat pump in the far zone is a great option for super quiet heating & cooling, since the air comes out all of the vents (albeit not as strongly as in the zone of origin.

I had the dealer snug all of the vents properly as part of PDI. No gaps.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Personally, I don't like memory foam either.

I was just quoting from paperwork I received from Airstream that listed the changes from 2014 models to 2015 models. One of the items listed was "new memory foam pillow top mattress" It could be only 1" of memory foam integrated into the standard mattress, who knows.

Supposedly the raised area of the roof, besides containing ducting also has much more insulation than the standard roof. While there might not be more directly over the ducts themselves, overall the 2015 roof is supposed to be much better insulated.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Just there are two duct lines, one on each side of the trailer running the length of the trailer. Saw them being built and installed last week in Jackson Center. The cold air returns are just under the A/C units and it looked liked that's where the filters are located.

There are no on/off devices on the air exhaust registers so they can't be turned off individually. Some enterprising person will come up with an attachable disk that you can place and remove as desired.

The ducts themselves are a silver Mylar type of material bonded to a core. Looked like foam. Then folded to shape and assembled with silver heating duct tape. I didn't notice on the tour whether there was insulation above them between the top of the duct and the roof.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Not certain what this thread is about, but as to the mattress on my 30 RB Serenity, I cover it with a four inch feather bed, this eliminates the hot/cold issue if it is memory foam. I was going to put in a Select Comfort mattress like I had in my Moho, but with the feather top it is so comfortable I have decided against this.

The A/C ducts, for sure need some type of either on/off or directional control as the bedroom ones blow in my face more than I like, and strangely enough this seems to be more using the front zone, or at least what I think is the front most unit, than when having the rear zone running. So to have the quietist, running the front I have the most wind in my face. All subjective of course.

I will be working on a solution to the air direction of the ducts, possibly something behind the wire mesh grill.... Like a curved deflection piece to bring the air back headed more toward the front of the trailer, yet maintain airflow.

And on another thread I have posted a solution to lugging around the 50 Amp cord when it is not needed, as when on either a 30 Amp shore line or running from my 4000 watt generator. It is a 30 Amp cord to which a 50 Amp RV plug is spliced, much less of a hassle when boon-docking.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Here is the 50 Amp RV female plug to 30 Amp shore line plug. Also shown is the adaptor for my 4,000 watt generator. This is a 30 foot 30 Amp cord to which i spliced a 50 Amp RV plug and it is much more manageable than the huge 50 Amp cord when using only the generator.

Airstream_Electrical_50 to 30_09.25.2014 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #25
jwp
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Supposedly the raised area of the roof, besides containing ducting also has much more insulation than the standard roof
How are there 2 different roofs on an airstream? You say raised vs standard. I am not aware of any roof differences between EB models of the same year but maybe there is a change in the roof design/build from 2014 to 2015?
Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
jwp...as of 2015, I think all 25 foot and up airstreams come with "quietstream" - that is a form of "ducted air" - it has always been that the roofs of airstreams have been simply the same as the walls as a single "flat" layer up there (although it is I think 2 layers...outside shell of aluminum, and inside shell with a bit of insulation between) - the AC units in these "non-ducted" models simply sat on top, with their intake vents visible inside the cabin of the airstream directly blowing air down into the cabin (albeit with some direcitonal control with some vents on the unit).

But with the "ducted air" models, the roof consists of a small raised area of the roof that creates a "duct"...AC units on top of roof now put out their heat and cold into this duct and then from there to different vents I believe. Inside the trailer you do not see the AC units anymore....

This is a major change from 2014 to 2015....airstream had not to date created a "ducted air" model...while various "other brand" trailers have with varying end results.

It is in my opinion a very interesting and cool change.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp View Post
Are you saying your 2015 does not have the memory foam top or that you do not want it to have that?

I inspected a 2015 this weekend and did not feel like the mattress was particularly feeling like memory foam on top but maybe it's just a thinner amount than often.
...It seems these cool duct ports ought to include covers. They could also be more consistently installed, snug against the ceiling....without gaps on one side on 20% of the ones I saw.
Our 2015 did not come with a memory foam mattress top. Perhaps that is on a Classic model that they were quoting ?? AS covers themselves by saying that specifications are subject to change. We were also told that the main TV would have the same pivoting / movable mount as previous models - but it is now a fixed mount.

We have, however added a mattress memory foam topper from Wally and the bed sleeps great - the EB is provided with nice goose down comforters - one lighter ... and one heavier. As the quality control varies from unit to unit, we were fortunate to have no gapping in the AC vents ... but issues with the D-ring tie downs, refrigerator mounting, general craftsmanship, etc. are not only discouraging, but also down right disappointing. Our FC20 was great, but these last two EB models have had more than just a few issues.

Please don't think that we are sour on the AS - we really like and enjoy it. It is just that for the cost being well north of $92k (up ~10k over our 2013 model), we might be expecting too much. The ducted air is a huge improvement! Is it worth the extra $$$? To us yes, but not sure that we'd get into the AS trading-up for longer / newer scheme again. The factory has been slow in addressing some of the issues with our unit. Might it be a better option to buy two or three SOB for the same cost ??? It is hard to put a value on pride of ownership - as someone else said , like a Porsche ... but it is clear to us that AS has lost their pride of craftsmanship !
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #28
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Having worked the Coachman assembly line back in the early '70s
Quality suffers when the production manager increases weekly finished rig numbers. Get them out the door fast and hope rework can keep up. Then you have supply problems with the parts vendors, rigs in rework with missing parts.
As to the vent outlets, check for a manufacturer name, then look online for their product line, they may have up rated vents with the same fit.