Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
2012 27FB Cold Floor

With the digits in the low 20's, we have been using the furnace and Dyson Heat fan a lot. My search tonight is "why is the bedroom floor so cold"? I noticed it up towards the very front- by the night stands. I think tomorrow I will look at insulating the space between the storage and under the bed. I don't know why Airstream made that a pass thru compartment under the master bed on the 27FB model.

Any recommendations on how to properly insulate that storage compartment? I am assuming that is the reason the floor is so cold up front :-)

Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
With the digits in the low 20's, we have been using the furnace and Dyson Heat fan a lot. My search tonight is "why is the bedroom floor so cold"? I noticed it up towards the very front- by the night stands. I think tomorrow I will look at insulating the space between the storage and under the bed. I don't know why Airstream made that a pass thru compartment under the master bed on the 27FB model.

Any recommendations on how to properly insulate that storage compartment? I am assuming that is the reason the floor is so cold up front :-)

We have one of the few 27FB trailers built with closets on the sides of the bedroom, instead of night stands, and no pano window in the bedroom (our bedroom looks like the bedroom in the 28' units). The absence of the bedroom pano window results in our bedroom being warmer in winter than the dinette and kitchen area which has the pano window. We do have carpeting on the bedroom floor, including the bottoms of the closets, and floor of the storage compartment. The carpeting acts as an insulator. As a result stepping onto the floor barefoot on a cold morning is not a shock to the system.

Only the bedroom floor in our trailer is carpeted. The rest is vinyl. We do have a nice thick shag area rug on top of the vinyl under the dinette to shield bare feet from the cold vinyl floor in the winter.

The carpeting in the bedroom is original to our 2008 model trailer and is typical Airstream "cheap" quality. We will likely replace it in 2014 with Flor brand carpet squares. When I do the Flor installation I will also install the Flor carpet squares on the storage compartment walls and ceiling to serve as insulation.

One of the issues with insulating the storage compartment may be moisture buildup depending on how much of a vapor barrier you create. We have experienced some issues with the underside of the mattress getting damp in cold weather when the humidity is high in the trailer. If you experience this problem there are synthetic spacer fabric materials you can buy to put under the mattress which will allow air to circulate between the mattress and the plywood base thereby minimizing the dampness. These spacer fabrics are sold for use under cushions on boats. Another solution is to take the linens off the mattress and flip it when not camping so the underside dries. The mattress will mildew if allowed to stay damp too long.

If your bedroom floor is not carpeted you may find that putting down carpeting and pad (or a quality carpet tile like Flor) will provide enough insulation to keep your floor from being too cold.

We've been comfortable camping in our 27FB with temperatures in the 20's and the carpeted bedroom floor doesn't feel too cold. We typically use our heat pump for heating until it automatically switches to the propane furnace when the temperatures drop into the 30's. We haven't tried the Dyson but we do have a small portable electric heater we sometimes use to take the chill off on cool days when we don't want to listen to the noisy heat pump.

TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
South Hero , Vermont
We own a summer lakeside cottage rental business. I know that this doesn't answer your question, but is a storage tip. When we shut down our cottages we stand all of the mattresses on their edge for winter storage. With wild temperature swings, it helps with any possible moisture issues. I'll do the same when we store the AS which we pick up in month!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
When I removed the carpeting from our 27FB I discovered that Airstream routed wiring under the right side cabinet..and did not seal it well at all. In fact, you could see daylight through the hole in the floor where the wire is running. If you have a cold floor, I will bet that you have air moving in from that hole. I would remove my spare tire and find that hole and seal it with some insulating foam as a temporary fix..then give it some thought as what the permanent repair needs to be.

I removed the carpet, cut the wiring and rerouted it all out of the bedroom, sealed the hole and then used laminate flooring. Things are much warmer now.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
Thanks all for the replies. The quick answer is to get some carpet down. This week I will also enclose the storage area so it doesn't reach under the bed.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, the carpet helps a lot. We went to Target and found a long runner for the center of the trailer, and some matched rugs for the rest. Much nicer on the feet and most probably less heat loss.

The outside storage compartment doors may not be sealing well. One of our doors was not sealing and the way I found it was I left the compartment light on by accident, and noticed light around the edges of the door when closed (at night). Adjusted the latch by bending it a bit and it now fits tight.

There is probably no one answer to warming the floor, but lots of little things help collectively.
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Carpet ...yes. We found a store that sells high quality remnants and they could sew binding onto the seams. We gave them the measurement and now we have easily removable carpet for when there is a refrigerator emergency, Two sections for entry to the bed $135 total cost ,,,cheap for the comfort provided. We put hook/loop at the corners, but it is really not necessary. Although the EB has a better grade of flooring, it still gets extremely unpleasant on bare feet in the fall/winter camp outs.
* 2012 Ram 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I ran an extension cord from my wardrobe outlet, down into the underbed storage. I run a very small 200 watt electric heater in there (with a separate thermostat) to keep condensation from forming under the mattress. A setting of 40 - 50* usually does the trick.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Hey, that heater trick sounds quite interesting. Would you please be kind enough to provide a link showing the general type of heater you use? I'm wondering whether it's radiant, a blower, or what. Thank you very much!

Oh, and do you permanently mount the heater some way so it doesn't shift during travel, or do remember to pull it out before you hitch up for the next trip, or have you come up with a better plan than I can think of right now?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's the heater:

Lasko Products My Heat Personal Heater - Walmart.com

Here's the thermostat:

Thermostat for Fans/Heaters | Thermostats| Northern Tool + Equipment

Shop for best price on brand etc.

My extension cord is permanently routed and is velcro'ed to the mouse fur. The heater and thermostat are portable and stowed when not used. I, of course make sure that there are no combustibles around the heater when in use. A 200 watt'er doesn't get very hot anyway....and I use velcro on the side of it and affix it to the mouse fur, just so it won't fall over. It does have overheat protection, but...belt and suspenders....ya know?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I wonder if the damp chaser sticks that often are used in safes would do the same thing as the heater?

Dampp Chaser

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 800 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Switz,
Maybe, but the issue here is not dampness IN the compartment, but rather the sweating of the TOP of the compartment between the mattress and the plywood. You need to heat the compartment to a level to stop the condensation of the humid interior air on the top cold plywood bed surface. I am not sure the damp chase would produce enough heat at 35 watts max.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
For condensation between the mattress and the plywood, I am considering this stuff.

HyperVent Marine - Product Information
WBCCI #2126
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Isn't there an interior access door to the storage compartment under the bed that could be opened/removed to help or stop the under-mattress condensation.

dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote