Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Serenity less than a month old leaks!!

So, the rains finally started here in the Northwest. Specifically, Victoria, BC. The wife went out to the trailer to grab something left from our last trip and found a puddle on the floor. We traced it back to the upper non-opening window closest to the door. If we pressed lightly on the inner skin below the window, water poured out. I'm guessing the seal around the glass, either the glass to the window trim, or the window trim to the trailer. I will be informing the dealership right away. The unfortunate thing, is the dealership is a 90 minute $240 ferry ride away. Total travel time would be closer to 4 hours.

I extended the awning hoping it would redirect the water away from the window. I will check again before bed, and right away in the morning. Not a good start to our trailer ownership experience.
StokerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
Get it to the dealer ASAP. Rest assured that Airstream will stand behind their product. If you have questions or concerns before you get it to the dealer, call them. They should help you and talk you through the fear. Thing happen.
missysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I contacted the dealer, and we are taking the trailer to them the weekend of the 27th, so we are keeping a close eye on the leak and trying minimize the water getting on the trailer.

We were going across on the ferry that weekend anyway for a training seminar for the wife, but instead of $85 for the car and two people, it will be $240, one way. The price of the ferries is going up in April as well. I have a feeling that we will be doing a lot of camping here on the island and only a couple of times a year we will venture to the mainland.

I guess I was hoping that we would one of the many folks who buy a trailer and have absolutely no issues with it for the first few years at least. The first time it rains, we get a leak. These trailers are not very common on the island, so we get a lot of people asking us about the trailer, and it is difficult to say it is awesome when this happened. Once people hear about the leak they said we should get our ferry costs paid for buy Airstream. It would be awesome if they did, but I seriously doubt it. I'm sure others have had the same issue, bought a trailer a fair distance from home as it was the closest dealer, and had to drive back for warranty work without compensation for gas, time, etc.

We hope they find the source of the leak quickly, and there isn't extensive work required to dry out the insulation under the skin. I did notice that one of the interior rivets near the door has popped. I will get them to look at that as well. If we are lucky, we drop it off on Saturday, and we get to bring it home with us on Tuesday when the training seminar is done.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
I can't speak for everyone here, only my experiences. But I know I am visiting my dealer or repair shop t least once a year. With new vehicles and large farm equipment, I prepare to visit the dealer about 3 times the first year, give or take? Our brand new John Deere tractor had air conditioning leaks over and over until they finally found the problem. Be patient and thankful you can afford a new Airstream.
missysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I am thankful that we can afford an Airstream. We are both in our 40s and I just retired from 22 years in the Canadian Navy. A little present to ourselves after being sent all over the world in the last 2 decades. This trailer is so we can see this continent more, instead of others, the only one I haven't been to is Antarctica.

As you say, we will get it fixed at the dealer, and try to enjoy another weekend or two before we store it till spring. I will do the required maintenance and ensure any warranty issues are dealt with promptly. We are already discussing a trip east to include a stop at the factory before the warranty ends for a tour and any lingering issues that may need addressing. We look forward to enjoying the trailer, and complaining about the same problems others do. Hopefully more of the former and less of the latter.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the same trailer, only a 2012. Am really enjoying it, and have (so far) not suffered from water intrusion. You live in a gorgeous place (during my Army days I did a couple of gigs for the folks at Royal Roads)... The floorplan of the 28' really suits how I like to live, always nice to see that someone else sees things the way I do!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We really like the floor plan as well. We originally looked at the 25'FB but the sideways bed was a bit difficult to walk around due to the front of the trailer curving inward towards the side of the bed near the floor. I found myself tripping a bit getting beside the bed on the one we were able to view at the dealer. The 28' floor plan works well with the separate sitting area from the dinette. I'm sure other people use the dinette as a food prep surface too, and not having the kids sitting in the way if it is raining or first thing in the morning makes it easier to get things done. Having the two extra bed areas is nice as well. We would normally put the kids in a tent outside, but on the occasions where we can't, each of them having their own bed minimizes the fighting. As bad as it sounds, we liked the fact that should we wish to watch TV, or a movie we could sit facing the screen, as opposed to having to look sideways from the dinette in most of the other designs.

One downside to this floor plan, is the front L-sofa being right up against the sink. We try to minimize splash, but the cushions still get a bit wet when washing dishes. The 30' floor plan is really nice, best of the 28' and the sofa is away from the sink, however we stretched our budget to get the 28', the 30' would have broken it.

We weren't sure about the whole front bedroom versus rear bedroom debate. I've read some threads on here and they are quite lively. Strong opinions for both. We decided that we would prefer to sleep away from the street on the back in sites, which so far seem to be the majority. The other thing is, as most Airstreamers know, folks looking in the windows is fairly common, and I would rather them look in the windows at the dinette or sofa rather than the bedroom. As far as missing out on potential views from the back of the trailer, I'll just go outside.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Just thought I would post an update on our trailer leak. We dropped the trailer with the dealer on the 29th of October. They stored the trailer indoors to prevent any further damage until they worked on it all the following week and found a couple of leaks. One by the bathroom vent, and the other was a bit more difficult. It turned out that they had to re-seal the entire front to back seam about 12" above the curb side awning. They tested the trailer extensively and the was no evidence of water coming in after that. They also found the A/C bolts loose, so they tightened them. There was a popped rivet just above the door as well. I picked up the trailer on 6 November. I could have picked it up the Friday before, but a trip to Vancouver on the ferry involved coordinating the wife working, the kids need supervision after school as well as, sports, piano, ballet, etc.

I was quite happy with the turnaround for the repair, and the service department said they understood the difficulty coming from the island and did their best to accommodate me. I had them adjust the Reese Dual-Cam assembly as the spring bars didn't sit onto the cams properly. This was done in the rain the day I picked up the trailer as they needed it hitched up. After about a dozen adjustments, each one requiring jacking the trailer up to adjust, then applying tension to check the alignment. This drained the trailer batteries almost completely using the tongue jack so much. I was on my way home within a couple of hours.

As a side note, for those of you with the awning package, the rear awning will cause a dent in the back of the trailer if it is accidentally released and allowed to spring back on its own. I don't remember allowing it to spring back in the dozen or so times I've extended or retracted the awnings, but it is surprising to see the dent. Traveland said we were better off leaving the dent as we were probably the only ones to know it was there, and to the casual observer, it kind of looks like it is meant to be there. They mentioned the aluminum is stretched in that area now, and if they tried to pull it out with suction cups, etc, there would be wrinkles and creases. So, again, word of warning, never allow the rear awning to retract on its own. Always do it under control or you will have the same dents we do on our brand new trailer.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Bought my unit from same dealer right out of the showroom. After getting it home, I soon noticed a small leak from one of the bathroom wall seams. It did not create a "puddle" - was a miniscule dribble.

Still, I know how upsetting it can be. I also wondered what the sam hill I had gotten into but the dealer fixed it. Since then, the trailer has been exposed to hurricaine force winds, driving rain, snow, sleet, and extreme heat during the summer, but the trailer has stayed dry. One roof seal was tweaked about six months ago. I have had no major issues since. Sounds like they have also done a good job with yours!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

2013 25' International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Did you go to the Langley, BC dealership? We are vacationing on the Island- Cluxewe Resort- Port McNeill with our three week old 2013 Serenity Airstream and have a leak with a fitting on our water heater. Like you said ...it is an expensive ferry ride for a repair. We had planned to vacation on the Island until the end of July. We purchased our new unit in Seattle, WA.

Thanks

Jim
GJtravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Repairs on Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJtravellers View Post
Did you go to the Langley, BC dealership? We are vacationing on the Island- Cluxewe Resort- Port McNeill with our three week old 2013 Serenity Airstream and have a leak with a fitting on our water heater. Like you said ...it is an expensive ferry ride for a repair. We had planned to vacation on the Island until the end of July. We purchased our new unit in Seattle, WA.

Thanks

Jim
You are covered under warrenty, the hot water heater is not Airstream specific so you should be able to go to any authorized RV dealer repair . On the Island ( mid Island ) try contacting Big Boys Toys, just south of Parksville . They should be able to help you .
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 international