Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

The Dragon
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name The Dragon
Year 1978
Make Airstream
Model Argosy Six-Metre Minuet
Length 19.685 feet
1978 Airstream Argosy Six-Metre Minuet
Overview I bought The Dragon about ten years ago, and it served as my guesthouse in December 2006 when two men came from near Rochester NY to construct my masonry heater (thermal-mass fireplace). Everything sorta-kinda worked but not for long. Sofa/bed tore loose from wall. Pilot light on water heater wouldn't stay lit after it cycled one time. Furnace was difficult to light. Refrigerator became quickly unreliable and then died. The AC hummed but didn't cool.

No complaints, really. I paid only $3,000 for it. The trailer itself was in good shape - no dents, no damage except behind the right tire, where it looked like someone bumped the bottom going over a RR track or something similar. Did bend the gas lines a little, but they checked out as working and not leaking.

The built-ins made it a tight interior, and it became almost impossible to access the electrical systems under the dinette. I got so frustrated that I just gave up.

For the past several years, I used it for some storage. It wasn't homey; it didn't speak to me. Then in the early spring of this year (2013), I decided it was time to do what I did to The Turtle - my 1965 Shasta 13 that I use mainly for camping trips. It's short; it's sweet; and it's just large enough for me to get my arms, legs, and head inside. And it looks like a turtle. I totally reworked the interior for my comfort and enjoyment.

It was time to make The Dragon what I wanted it to be. After I removed the refrigerator, which was a tedious job, I felt so good that I removed the dinette (and the fresh-water tank). Then the sofa/bed. The closet. The water heater. The furnace.

Then I got invited to play Lady Catherine in Pride & Prejudice, which used up April and May. House & dog sitting in the NC mountains took two weeks out of June. And then it was too hot to work on it. But while playing host to 35 Couchsurfers over August and September, I did a lot of thinking and planning.
Comments: 0 / Views: 1797