starshipenterprize (earthbound)
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Registry
Airstream Name starshipenterprize (earthbound)
Year 1973
Make Airstream
Model safari
Length 23ft
Options four tires to spread out the load (good thing)
1973 Airstream safari
1973 Airstream safari
Overview Being an old car guy(I can fix them yet) I had let my friends know I was interested in buying an old airstream and two of my friends told me of one on the side of the road about 15 miles away. Looked her over and was amazed at how original it was and the condition of it. Gave them the $4,000 they wanted and they delivered her to us, my truck was already put away for the winter. The P.O. had her one year and vacationed in her for the summer at a campground then bought a cottage so she was no longer needed and she was ours, that was NOV. 1999. One of the many really good things about the enterprize was the P.O. had her inspected by a local R.V. dealer and the work order was with the owners manual, so I had an idea of her condition and knew the wheel bearings were good to go. It was time for new tires and rims for the 1966 chevy. that would be the T. V. so they both got new shoes, getting everything to work on the trailer was, interesting, to say the least, but well worth it, the look came out perfect. So after replacing the missing hot water heater and repairing a split pipe we were off on a journey that has been a LOT of fun and uneventful also, no issues or breakdowns, oh wait a minute or two, there was the time at Bay City State Park where we usually go several times each year that the T.V. would not start, but a quick install of the spare set of points and condenser got us going again, like I said before, I can fix the old stuff. And another time a tire valve stem failed on the trailer, it was not the correct one for high pressure tires, but it happened in the driveway after coming home from the traditional leave on thur. come home mon. that we like to do, it is the same amount of work to camp for four days as two, so why not. Now that we have discovered that vintage is in, we have 14 or 15 outings planned for the year with several more possible, with a weekend at the mothership-for alumapalooza being big on the list, and many T.C.T events also planned, the upgrades to enterprize will begin with putting a couple used 30# aluminum tanks on a freshly painted A- frame after I get them restored.
1973 Airstream safari Exterior
She has not been polished or buffed only washed with a wax included product before we go anywhere.

1973 Airstream safari Interior
Even the carpeting is original, but the front drapes are getting remade from some old ones taken down from some friends house.

1973 Airstream safari Customization
Not much on this old girl, but the tanks will do much.

Systems and Running Gear
the hot water heater, and pump have been replaced, I still have the pump and may look into restoring it someday. I have it in the air now repacking the wheel bearings and replacing the shocks, and of course the axles are not good, but recent semi-retirement dictate $ spent so they go on the top of the to do list for 2014.

Tow Vehicle
Bought in 1993 in AZ. 1966 chevy. C10 with 283C.I. engine
Comments: 0 / Views: 1156