Airstream Registry
Airstream Name Silvia
Year 1964
Make Airstream
Model Globetrotter
Length 19
1964 Airstream Globetrotter
1964 Airstream Globetrotter 1964 Airstream Globetrotter
Overview This project can originally be found under the username GottaTrotta. That is my mother, I became fond of this project when she found herself in over her head with remodeling issues. I stepped in and together, four years later, shes practically wrapped up. The things she needed help with were the "meat and potatoes" of the project. Electrical, plumbing and LP are not her specialties. She was in charge of interior design, top to bottom. We both agree that we could not have pulled this off without each other. Our maiden voyage was down to the Red River Gorge in KY. I would never sell this one but the offers for it has compelled us to try and go into business renovating!
Exterior
1964 Airstream Globetrotter Exterior 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Exterior 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Exterior
Clear coat is gone and polished clean. The window glazing is replaced with matching vintage style, due to cracking and sun fade. The holes were patched and access panels were sealed up (that weren't being used). We restored the original plaques on the front and back and re-riveted the belly pan. The windows and door gasket were replaced and the broken lens covers were replaced with replicas. All incandescent bulbs were substituted for same-socket LEDs. The rear bumper access has the shore power pigtail and a shower head that has a 25' hose for an outdoor shower tent.

Interior
1964 Airstream Globetrotter Interior 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Interior 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Interior
This would be my mothers realm. She started by replacing the rotted sub-floor and Yes removing the bathroom. She then painted the interior skin a pleasant sky blue color. She stained the original cabinets a mahogany color and kelp the original working hardware. She two toned the floor with laminate wood. We put a custom round removable table at the dinette and reupholstered everything in neutral colors. The appliances were kept in the original position with keeping the vintage stove and sink but replacing the fridge with a smaller electric model. Curtains were installed and accent pillows were made. We decided to put a double bed in the rear of the camper doubling as storage underneath for gear and electronics. Just like the exterior the interior bulbs were also substituted for LED replacements.

Customization
1964 Airstream Globetrotter Customization 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Customization 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Customization
We installed custom lighting inside of the over-head cabinets for easy accessing (especially during the night hours of sleeping children). The LED strip is controlled by a pin switch that is on the cabinets, when opened the LEDs automatically turn on and when closed again they will shut off. Eliminating the need for a user switch. I used warm LED light.

I also made custom light covers for the lights in the skin of the interior. I took 55% translucent white plexiglass and cut it to size. The ran the sliver trim around the border to hide the rough edges. The riveted it into place.

I also installed the B.A.L. stabilizer jacks at the rear of the tires.

Systems and Running Gear
1964 Airstream Globetrotter Systems and Running Gear 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Systems and Running Gear 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Systems and Running Gear
We started by putting a Progressive Dynamics 4060: 60 Amp Converter + AC/DC Distribution Panel inside the broom closet, along with a battery disconnect, battery voltage meter, and your 3 separate 110 V circuits all ran from GFCI receptacles. Partnered it up with Deep cell marine battery.

For the Water tank we installed it under the couch by the left wheel well. An inlet sediment filter was ran into a 20 gallon tank vented into the wheel well. We also installed a Eccotemp L7 inline water heater. Along with a shower head with plenty of hose in the rear bumper for a tent shower. Plumbing ran was all 1/2" clear tubing clamped onto brass fittings. Ball valves were installed for the sink and the shower lines and all lines were insulated for winter use! We used a ShurFlo pump that carries 2.9 GPM.

All LP lines were replaced and new regulator with pigtails were installed. Disconnect for the water pump is under the sink controlled by via switch and the gas shut-off valve is also installed there for emergency situations.

Other Information
1964 Airstream Globetrotter Other Information 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Other Information 1964 Airstream Globetrotter Other Information
Soon to come

Tow Vehicle
Same old gas chugger from the Gloria registration.
Comments: 0 / Views: 972

Tags