Make Airstream
Model
1992 Airstream
Comments: 8 / Views: 993
Old 02-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Rich...do you still have this 350LE I have a 1991 version)?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
San Antonio , Texas
Getting her roadworthy...

Chris,
Yes...and I have begun the process of getting it roadworthy after 6 years in storage. Sorry I did not respond sooner but for some reason I never received a notice about your thread post...found your note by chance.
Just replaced all the tires the beginning of Feb...went with 225/70R19.5's as opposed to 8R19.5's...still received the expected deep hit on the pocket pocket book.
Brought it home the next weekend to do a top to bottom look at it and started the process of discovery...found a significant patch of rotted floor in the back (due to my error in not quite completely closing by 1/8" one of the rear windows when I placed it in storage) which is going to cost me a few weekends...just started the process of removing all the 'furniture' in the back to get to the rotted spot. I was going to replace the carpet anyway, so it's not all wasted effort..
I bellieve I too will have to replace the air bags and a thousand other parts...[know where to find new auto stairs?].
My near term goal is to get it operational enough and reliable enough to use it once a month (in state) and then continue to invest until I feel comfortable with longer trips...
Let me know if you want to get together and compare notes further...
Warm regards,
Rich

C: 210-865-6755
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Rich..good to make contact with you and to learn that you're getting the 350 back on the road. I was lucky with mine as the unit was stored under cover and sort of mothballed before I purchased it. Like you, I'm facing the cost of new rubber in the near future. Why did you change tire size?
I'm taking my 350LE out for a run up to Mother Neff State Park (near Waco) over Spring Break. Since driving her back from Seattle, I've replaced the radiator and generally checked steering and brakes so this will be a sort of inaugural run.
Plan to head south in the summer (Guadalupe State Park) so will try to go via San Antonio maybe. In the meantime, if you're visiting Austin give em a call on (512) 330-4271. Your "slowly does it" approach to extending travel is much like mine.
Are your stairs missing or just inoperative as unfortunately, parts are hard to come by for custom Airstream bits ?. Send me some pics.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150204_161703.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	233572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150204_161716.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	233573  

Name:	IMG_20150204_161042.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	233574  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
San Antonio , Texas
Chris,
I changed tires sized for a couple reasons...better selection in tires (more to choose from)...the Alcoa wheels can accommodate the 225/70's...the 8's have always seemed a little 'skinny' to me, the 225/70's are have an inch more width at the tread...and the 225/70's come in G load rated versions which was interesting to me (my worst nightmare has always been a blowout of one of the front tires)... I did my research about the tires touching on the back dual tires and everything indicated there was space and sure enough there is still at least an inch between them when fully inflated. The biggest drawback, if you want to call it that is the 225/70's are a wee bit smaller than the 8's and your speedometer will be off by 2.3%, which for me is not a problem.
Also, because of the costs of the tires and mounting, I did some serious shopping...I ended up buying mine online from TiresEasy and had them installed by GCR (truck tire shop) in Schertz...saved between $1,000 and $1500 this way.
Warm regards,
Rich
Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
San Antonio , Texas
...Oh, I forgot to add that I messed up my stairs a few years back when they didn't retract, I didn't realize it and moved the RV and struck something and bent them to heck...I figure there must be retrofits out there...

Will add photos the weekend after next...as you know the weather has been crappy around here and I haven't brought it home from its storage spot the last 2 weekends...hope to make some progress on the floor fix the weekend of the 14th...

Warm regards,
Rich
Old 03-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
San Antonio , Texas
15 March 20015. As Oliver would say to Hardy (or was it the other way around?), "weelll, this is another fine mess you've got us into..."

So my little floor fix has taken a turn for the worse...seems my little leak was not so little and my damage is even more 'not so little'...in fact, it is quite extensive and will keep me occupied, I think, for a few weekends to come...maybe longer... Plan: Demo first, then leak location, then repairs…

This weekend started with discovery and establishing the boundaries of the damage...first, removed the right left nightstand and carpet and pad beneath it and found that the floor beneath it was wet and rotted throughout...

So I removed the right rear nightstand, bed frame, headboard, and frame (and the carpet and pad beneath all of this) about the rear storage compartment which extends under the bed...found wet and rotted wood flooring on the left side of the storage compartment, with dry but still rotted flooring on the right side...all-in-all, the rear 44" of the motor floor is disintegrated or needed to go...

Then decided to get rid of the remaining carpet and pad beneath the water tank just because it seems so wrong…and did so after a couple hours, without damages the tank or lines…I’ll likely replace with some form of closed cell foam pad during the rebuild just to help with noise control, if nothing else…

Established my cut line, lifted the water lines and tank out of the way…and unleashed the circular saw and then cut the line…as well as, segmented the damaged flooring so as to speed removal… Removed the floor, though this proved challenging with the concrete nails that Airstream had driven through the wood into the chassis tubular steel floor frame members [that must be one hell of a nail gun, because they did not want to come out…].

Cleaned her up at the end of the day for the next week’s visit to the mechanic for belts replacement and (probable) alternator replacement…
So…I could use a couple hints from experienced folks out in ASF land:
1. I inspected the roof and seams on the back of the RV and all look tight, so I’m thinking windows are the most likely source of the leak…does anyone have any other experience or suggestions?
2. Looks like the floor actually fits under the walls… This will really be a pain…any suggestions on how to replace? Do I need to take off the interior skin to do this??
3. My water tank looks good structurally, but there is the little bit of water still inside it which is looking like pond scum…has anyone ever installed an access port in the top to aid in cleaning?
Photos to follow…
Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerich View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
1. I inspected the roof and seams on the back of the RV and all look tight, so I’m thinking windows are the most likely source of the leak…does anyone have any other experience or suggestions?
2. Looks like the floor actually fits under the walls… This will really be a pain…any suggestions on how to replace? Do I need to take off the interior skin to do this??
3. My water tank looks good structurally, but there is the little bit of water still inside it which is looking like pond scum…has anyone ever installed an access port in the top to aid in cleaning?
Photos to follow…
1. Windows definately could be the source, but leaks travel long distances... Where it enters the first skin is often times different where it travels too. I would redo the windows, but also all the seems with in at least 10 ft. Capt Tolley's creeping crack cure works wonders for place that looked sealed but may not be. Also, roof sealants that are external...vulkem, etc are only good for 3-5 years max! The ultra-violet really takes its toll on them.

2. the floor does go under the wall. Well actually the floor is on top of the chassis frame and the shell is on top of that. If it is a small area, you can pick/vaccuum out the bad wood then cut a piece to fit inder with cut outs to go around pipes and elevator bolts. BUT anything other then a small area you really do need to pull off the bottom layer of skins so you remove the bolts and re-attach the shell properly.....

3. Yes most people use a kayak water proof access door... However, We took ours out dumped some bleach in with a few gallons of water and swirled it around. Cleaned it right up. I then pilled it with a a 4 ppm bleach solution and let it sit for 24 hours. Smells and looks like brand new.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
San Antonio , Texas
Dave,
Thanks again for your thoughts and sharing your experience…I took the motorhome in for some mechanical work yesterday and talked to the shop owner about the leak…he suggested I take a look at a seam above the rearmost window (the emergency escape window), so I did…there was caulk there from a PO attempt to seal some problem or another and the caulk didn’t look to be in the best shape, so this may actually be my culprit…will do a leak test once it is out of the shop.
I kinda thought you might say that about the floor…take a look at the following photos…I am going to have to peal off a lot of interior skin to get to those bolts…the ones I could see in the very back looked pretty rusted up, so this will be a chore…I see some skinned knuckles and terrible cursing in my future…
Great suggestion on the water tank…I’ll do just that!
Warm regards,
Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150315 - Floor rot - under bed - rear storage.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	234397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150315 - Rotten floor removed.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	234398