Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Registry Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

1968 Airstream Caravel

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name
Year 1968
Make Airstream
Model Caravel
Length 17
Options Land Yacht
1968 Airstream Caravel
1968 Airstream Caravel 1968 Airstream Caravel 1968 Airstream Caravel
Overview My trailer was purchased originally by Harold Matson in WA state. He was a member of the WBCCI. As I understand Bill Grisso in OR, also a WBCCI member and friend of Matson, purchased it around 1995. He and his wife used it to travel all over the country, and to Alaska every year where he fished and his wife canned berries inside the trailer (they had built extra support into the stove top to support her big canning pot). In 2003 he replaced it with a vintage Safari and sold the Caravel to me, so I am the third owner of this little gem.
Exterior
1968 Airstream Caravel Exterior 1968 Airstream Caravel Exterior 1968 Airstream Caravel Exterior
The right rear corner of the trailer was damaged, and Mr Grisso replaced it with new aluminum sheet. He then polished the rest of the trailer to match, and if he hadn't told me, I don't think I would have known.

Interior
1968 Airstream Caravel Interior 1968 Airstream Caravel Interior 1968 Airstream Caravel Interior
The interior is mostly stock. It has the front dinette layout. The previous owners had all taken very good care of the trailer. The Grissos had done the curtains and cushions right before I bought it, so I didn't have to re-do those.

Customization
1968 Airstream Caravel Customization 1968 Airstream Caravel Customization 1968 Airstream Caravel Customization
During the winter of 2004 the interior was removed back to the bathroom to allow replacement of the floor in the front half of the trailer. Also some frame problems were fixed at the same time. When reinstalling the interior we replaced the cranky old Hydroflame with a new furnace, and replace the fridge with a nice 3-way. I also replaced the faucets to a more practical style. We tried to leave everything looking as stock as possible.

Systems and Running Gear
1968 Airstream Caravel Systems and Running Gear
A new Dexter axle was installed in 2004.

We added a spare tire carrier in front of the propane tanks.

Other Information
1968 Airstream Caravel Other Information
There is an Airstream Quality Assurance sticker in the cabinet above the kitchen counter, which I think is pretty cool.

Tow Vehicle
1968 Airstream Caravel Tow Vehicle 1968 Airstream Caravel Tow Vehicle 1968 Airstream Caravel Tow Vehicle
1995 Ford Club Wagon, 351V8, Automatic. This vehicle easily tows the trailer, and has room inside for us, the dogs, and anything we might want to bring with us. We've been very happy with it's performance as a tow vehicle, but it would be nice if it was a bit more comfortable, and not so thirsty for gas!
Comments: 3 / Views: 36495
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

1970 31' Sovereign
Cumby , Texas
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the nice welcome and all the info. And, I like your Airstream Caravel. I am also trying to keep mine original as much as possible. I have a 1970 Sovereign 31' that I am trying to update and get ready for first time out in July. I will post pictures when I am completely finished. I look forward to getting to know more of the members and getting more info on things to do to my Airstream as I go.
Lavannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
millbrook , New York
this is adorable!
susangagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
thanks for posting

I'm getting ready to do a shell off after an attempt to do a piecemeal floor replacement. thanks for your posts and pics. I'll look for my quality assurance sticker. Did you get your trailer's original paperwork, warranty card and the like? I have it for my '67 Safari, but not my '68 Caravel. Would you be able to PM me some more interior pics to help me decide what I want to do with upholstery and if I'll leave my seating config as delivered from the factory.
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream, caravel