Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1960 - 1964 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
Well...I bought an AS, and Registered... NOW WHAT!!??

I just drove a thousand miles to pick up my first Airstream. It's a 30' 1963 international sovereign. Exterior and interior panels are in excellent condition. I think I got a good deal. New tires. Bad news is it was caught in a flood and took water on up to about counter level.

My background in carpentry and electrical is very strong--just a jack of all trades really... But I can't quite grasp my hand on what needs to be done first...

This AS is at another property (about a mile away), and I've gone to visit her twice this week. It's moldy, hot, and somewhat in shambles. I still get a very soothing vibe when i'm with her though...and I think I wanna do her up...

So I towed her home-500 miles... all went well... What's first?? any advice for a noob? any nola members wanna hang out?

I'm gonna post some pictures very soon... My basic plan is forming around an all electric trailer, with a quiet honda or yamaha generator. I'd like to have modern conveniences like a nice tv, proper AC, proper audio system, fridge... Thinking electric cooktop with propane table top grill. Subfloor is in surprisingly good shape despite the flood. The area around the door is trashed...

Guess i'm going for a modernization here..

Well...Glad to be here...Thanks for having me.
NOLA Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
I just want to keep this project manageable... one thing at a time is the way i like to do things... so a gut job and a full monte is a little much for my first time...

also--Is this a special airstream?? rare?? It was custom ordered and built(still have the order form and order confirmation lettter....and the delivery announcement letter...).

Not trying to cash out and be greedy... But also don't want to spend time and money on something that i can't get it back on... good thing is I have hoards and hoards of tools, materials, paints, epoxies, sandpapers, land, tape measures, saws, etc, and i can't stand paying retail... I honestly think i can rehab this thing for 10 cents on the dollar...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome!

It doesn't matter whether or not you WANT to "cash out and be greedy." That's just not the way it happens with Airstreams, we do it because we can't help ourselves....er... because we love them. If you consider the value of your time, it's not going to be a gold mine. There's no reason to believe it's not going to be a wonderful valuable trailer, however.

It sounds like you're looking at a shell-off project, if the trailer was submerged up to the countertops. Unless it was a very brief immersion and very recent, you've got issues to deal with that will require you to take it apart. LOTS of people have done this, and there are many threads here on the forums about that kind of work.

Having documents about the specific history of your trailer is really cool, both to nerds like us and if/when you're ready to sell it. I'd say that the history docs are more valuable to a restoration than a renovation, but I'm sure it still will make it more appealing to potential buyers.

Congratulations! Post pictures, and take a lot of pictures before/during/after (both to satisfy our Airstream voyeurism and to document the transformation for you and potential future owners of your trailer.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome aboard! Do us all a favor and post some pics.

A few pictures in this community let's loose a lot of knowledge that may help or educate you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
I took the day off just to fiddle with the 63. My wife came to look at it and she likes it alot--enough to wanna keep it. With all the football, festivals, and mardi gras --we have an excuse to keep it.

Not really concerned about 'making' money on it. Just concerned about 'losing' money. As far as time value goes--i'm considering this as a 'minor' in airtreams and rvs in general. The experience, knowledge, and hopefully community will be priceless.

My goal is a modernized AS. Lightweight, ergonomic, etc. Nothing over the top or bulky. Just subtle.

And did i mention i'm cheap?? I have the original fixtures (lights) that i'm going to sell to help fund the project...

Off i go. Will report back with pictures this evening.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Congratulations on your "new" trailer! I too hunted down a trailer this last summer after two years of research and kicking tires. I thought that I got a pretty good deal and that the repair work would be limited to fairly superficial refinishing, re-upholstery and repair.

As I started removing the floor coverings and old furnishings, I discovered the issues that weren't immediately visible during my "inspection," ie., perimeter floor rot, rear end separation, serious frame corrosion, etc.. So now I have resigned myself to the inevitable shell-off floor replacement and frame repair, and what I had hoped would be a few months long project is already at 4 months, and I haven't got the shell off yet. What I didn't fully understand is that any trailer that is 40+ years old, unless it has been stored in a museum, is going to have A LOT of issues.

The fact that your trailer has had 3' of water in it, I would say pretty much demands that all of the interior be removed, and at least the lower interior panels be pulled so that all the funky insulation can be replaced. At this point, the condition of the floor will be easy to evaluate. There is also insulation between the floor and the bellypan, and you might as well drop the pan and prepare yourself for some nasty stuff.

Your expectations of this project probably need some calibration. I found that a good way to do this was to get the back episodes of the Vintage Airstream Podcast (VAP) and do some marathon listening. After I heard the various restoration topics discussed in detail, I had a better idea of what to expect the project to cost, the time required, the repairs that would be needed, and the difficulty of them. All this information is available in the various threads of this forum, but the podcast allows you to get the information passively.

So, how do you eat an elephant? The answer: one bite at a time. If you look at the project as a whole, you may start feeling overwhelmed. Start at the ground and work your way up and take it a bite at a time.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I was going to say that the first thing to do with any "new-to-you" trailer is to make sure the exterior is secure from leaks. But then I read the part about how it was in a flood, and I figured that there isn't so big a rush to to that.

For sure all the insultation in the walls and under the floor has been soaked, and that means that anything goes as far as mould, vermin nests and lots of other surprises.

Yes, the way to start is to completely strip it down and do a "frame-off" restoration. Otherwise, you could be staying in something very unhealthy for you and your family.

Best of luck, and keep us informed!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Geoff View Post
I just drove a thousand miles to pick up my first Airstream. It's a 30' 1963 international sovereign. Exterior and interior panels are in excellent condition. I think I got a good deal. New tires. Bad news is it was caught in a flood and took water on up to about counter level.

My background in carpentry and electrical is very strong--just a jack of all trades really... But I can't quite grasp my hand on what needs to be done first...

This AS is at another property (about a mile away), and I've gone to visit her twice this week. It's moldy, hot, and somewhat in shambles. I still get a very soothing vibe when i'm with her though...and I think I wanna do her up...

So I towed her home-500 miles... all went well... What's first?? any advice for a noob? any nola members wanna hang out?

I'm gonna post some pictures very soon... My basic plan is forming around an all electric trailer, with a quiet honda or yamaha generator. I'd like to have modern conveniences like a nice tv, proper AC, proper audio system, fridge... Thinking electric cooktop with propane table top grill. Subfloor is in surprisingly good shape despite the flood. The area around the door is trashed...

Guess i'm going for a modernization here..

Well...Glad to be here...Thanks for having me.
Since the trailer was in a flood, the insides of the axle tubes are more than likely badly rusted.

On the other hand, the rubber rods in the axles do not last 48 years.

You should for sure check the axles out, before you spend "any" money on the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
These are pics as promised... 1963 sovereign international.

first the pics of the interior-I hope I get this right on the first try. I attached them because I don't use an online host.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040794.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	142783   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040795.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	142784  

Name:	P1040797.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	142785   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040804.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	142786  

Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
These are some pictures of the exterior of my 63. Think I'm gonna name him Ole Roy.

The last photo is a 1964 24" trade wind that i'm picking up in the next day or two. Not quite sure why I'm getting the 64 yet. It's missing it's roof vents and has been rained in since katrina. The floor is soft all over. The 64 will be a different thread...

Today has been a great day so far. My brother in law came by and checked out the AS. He's got some kind of pull behind, and he's professionally handy. We jawed about Ole Roy for 2 hours. So far the plan includes a waist height and below removal of interior panels, all electric systems, a tankless electric water heater, and possibly a bathroom relocation (not quite committed to that yet because of vent stack issues. running new ones is easy--but I don't want a butchered roof.)

sub-floor so far is showing two areas that need patching.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040798.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	142791   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040800.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	142792  

Name:	P1040801.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	142793   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040808.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	142794  

Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
These are pics as promised... 1963 sovereign international.

first the pics of the interior-I hope I get this right on the first try. I attached them because I don't use an online host.
You certainly bought a "project".

Hopefully, you will enjoy the rebuilding and time spent doing it.

Oh, by the way, it's going to cost you a few bucks, too.

More than likely you will have a ton of questions, during the process, and this is the very best place to get the answers.

Welcome to Airstreaming.

Andy
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
Thanks Andy--you speak any Polish?? It's my native language...but I learned English at an early age and forgot a good bit of the Polish.

The project is gonna be awesome. I love hanging out at the 'stream. Will probably take it out for a weekend once I feel good about the drivetrain and have it lit up and registered. Maiden voyage if you will.

Talked to the original owners the other day, and they want pictures. They're great folks, and are helping me to get the AS registered since none of the owners in the past twenty years did a proper transfer.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy--you speak any Polish?? It's my native language...but I learned English at an early age and forgot a good bit of the Polish.

The project is gonna be awesome. I love hanging out at the 'stream. Will probably take it out for a weekend once I feel good about the drivetrain and have it lit up and registered. Maiden voyage if you will.

Talked to the original owners the other day, and they want pictures. They're great folks, and are helping me to get the AS registered since none of the owners in the past twenty years did a proper transfer.
No speakeda polski.

Enjoy your Airstreaming, ALWAYS.

Andy
Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Who Dat got dem an Airstream? There is a forums member (HiHoAgRV) in Jackson, MS that is doing a shell off rebuild right now of a '63 Overlander. It's a great thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html

Good Luck!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You don't know what was in the flood water—chemicals and sewage maybe have been. It looks like the water was in there long enough to dissolve the glue on the veneer on the drawers in a cabinet. The fiberglass insulation is probably shot and may be all the way to the ceiling. It may have wicked the water upward. This is a good opportunity to use better insulation.

I think you need to check out the bottom of the whole floor—it may be seriously moldy. Who knows what is growing in the belly pan? And cushions, beds or other cloth objects probably should be thrown out.

I'd think carefully about moving the bathroom. The most weight should be over the axles and that's why they are usually built with baths and kitchens over or near the axles. Some with rear baths have had frame separation problems.

You've got quite a project and it is good you have the skills you have because you are going to need them.

Good luck with this project.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
dayton , Texas
I had just got the same trailer given to me and I started tearing out all the rotted and broken stuff parts are really hard to come by I'm looking for the lower front door hinge can't find one anywhere
msholars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi and welcome to Airforums, msholars. I would note that it might be a good idea to make copies of the arc on some of the furniture so that you can easily duplicate them when you go to put new furniture in.

It's not square, like a regular house.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
dayton , Texas
Yeah it was almost gutted when I got it I just pulled the kitchen apart and bathroom I kept wat I could
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1423187291432.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	231788   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423187308779.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	231789  

Name:	1423187327125.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	231790   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423187358058.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	231791  

Name:	1423187375054.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	231792   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423187394367.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	231793  

msholars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I wonder what happened to the OP—it was more than 4 years ago he brought home the trailer. Since he has only 33 posts, I suspect he gave up pretty fast as some do.

Geoff, are you out there? What happened?

M', you have quite a project ahead of you and thank anything you can that it was not in a flood. Stick with it. It will, like any remodeling project take longer than you want to believe and cost more than you hope, but the result can be well worth it.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963 sovereign