Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You don't need dual axles. There's a bunch of us who have been taking our single axle TT's all over the country and are still alive. Some of us even had a blowout. The 22' Sport is light and has plenty of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0107a.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	220017  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Dual axes not needed but living full time in 22' with a partner and two dogs would be awfully tight quarters
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #43
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
AND Ian is not joking. He really is 7' tall. Hey Ian, how is the wheel lock working out ?
I managed to fine one of a similar type that would fit ours. The 16" wheels are just that little bit larger in D. The one I found works but is a PITA cause it needs a wrench to tighten and loosen. Something else to loose.

Hope all's well. Looking to head out for a week or so into Penna. next week.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Adam:

Welcome, you will find the Airstream community to be the greatest bunch of people you will ever know! Once you get one join in on some of the rallies and meet the group face to face. You will love it!

All I can say is learn from all of us, we have been there and done that! If you haven't seen my thread in the FOD section about our airstream ownership, take a quick read. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f523...up-113220.html

We started with a cute 21' model with a corner bed but quickly realized that two men and dogs were too much for the little bed! We bought a 25' front bed and couldn't be happier.
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Adam --

I wanted to sit and write a bit more today reflecting on my experiences of the past year; since one year ago, I was writing posts much like the one you asked here; and today I am the owner of a very nice unit.

A lot of what I am going to write comes from the combined wisdom of others, and my own reflections -- others being my father, Paula (FoiledAgain,) Sk8ter and CATallGuys posts, and PharmGeek -- check out PG's threads as he also was looking last year and didn't have an unpublished thought (that's a good thing, PG - you asked alot of the questions I wanted to right before I could ).

First, look at the longer trailers -- if you are going to spend a considerable amount of time in them, do look at them. While I could have taken a 22FB Sport nicely (love the longer bed and the larger head in it,) I often travel or meet up with friends when I camp so the triple bed combination in the 28' of the L-Lounge Couch and Dinette converted to a queen and double respectively held alot of sway for me. Also, the idea of the L-Lounge queen being a guest bed and not impacting the dinette usability as a dinette held alot of value as well. Oddly, the 28 is, in the specs at least, one inch shorter than the 27FB models - I assume the difference is only in the floor plan separation.

Re fear of backing up -- don't. My father's wisdom comes in here. As you may know, many Walmart stores allow for overnight parking on permission request. No matter what length you buy, use the feature locally and head off to their parking lots with your partner in the later afternoon and practice backing up, in daylight and at night. And repeat this routinely, every weekend you aren't camping at least. The practice my father set me up with was to align myself evenly in a set of parking spaces, then back up and learn to divert, steer-through and straighten the trailer/truck out so that I could shift once space to the left in parking row directly behind me; rinse, repeat. What I learned quickly are that minute adjustments are all that is necessary -- I wouldn't turn the steering wheel any more than 180-degrees from zero point in my maneuvers. backup to the left; backup to the left, run out of rows, pull forward, repeat. And when you're tired or aggravated enough for the day, pull forward to a nice space, and go to sleep for the night!

So after I bought, we had a rally up at Virginia Highland Haven and on the way home, I got caught on the wrong direction of the blue ridge parkway. Pulling into a pullout to turn-around, I discovered I pulled into the only single-exit pullout on the highway system... meaning I had to back up the unit, uphill, on a 90-degree right-hand turn back to the parkway and even out without blocking lanes to head north. After this, I have no fear of backing up any longer.

Finally, in backing up, at a campground especially. You're allowed to put the car in park and step out to check above, below, around every few feet if you want to -- anyone you block are at a campground and they can wait the 10 minutes it takes you to back in and clear the path.

Now... the purchase itself...If you go looking for my earliest post in the forums (well - actually it's here --> http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...air-98194.html ). I am going to copy a paragraph from that original post below,

----- SNIP
So I figure there are four ways I can proceed -- I can (a) find a good stout vintage airstream for a good price and make her my own; (b) find a refurb opportunity and locate a competent company to do the work for me; (c) buy new at the dealers or (d) find someone who bought new within the past few years but for whom the reality of a trailer didn't quite click. Oh… and I need a tow vehicle… a Mini Cooper probably won't do it.
---- SNIP

(d) is a reality, and a good one across the nation -- be it airstream or another trailer brand, lots of people are buying into the program and then realizing it doesn't truly jive with their lifestyle or for some other reason it's not for them; and they get rid of the unit. In January this year, I cold emailed Paula (FoiledAgain in the forums) and was asking her opinion on the different dealers on the east coast with intention of buying new and after discussing pros and cons of EBs, Internationals, Serenitys, 27FB, 28, 25FB, etc., she went hunting for a bit and returned back to me within 30 minutes with a slightly used find two hours south of Richmond in N Carolina. The 28' Serenity I now own, I am the second owner. The first put maybe 650 miles towing onto it and slept in it maybe four nights. Some aspects of the trailer were never used -- and they bought the extended warrantee which is still good for another year and a half. So I bought essentially a brand new, virgin airstream at HALF the MSRP within two weeks of the email conversation.

Finally, make contacts in the forums today, FOD or not, with others in your area. You'll find quickly that, like Paula, there are many people willing to help you out on opinions, some may even show up to review used trailers with you, helping spot issues or benefits you haven't considered. And finally, once you HAVE the trailer in possession, just say the word 'rally' and you'll be off on a near immediate adventure to a campground for an enjoyable weekend with new found friends and vistas to explore.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
AND Ian is not joking. He really is 7' tall. Hey Ian, how is the wheel lock working out ?
I managed to fine one of a similar type that would fit ours. The 16" wheels are just that little bit larger in D. The one I found works but is a PITA cause it needs a wrench to tighten and loosen. Something else to loose.

Hope all's well. Looking to head out for a week or so into Penna. next week.
and not intending to hijack the thread, but Roger, yes -- the wheel lock is a saving grace. I've been up on Loft Mountain, Skyline Drive this season and after leveling the wheels up both times, the wheel lock fit perfectly on that side of the trailer with the wheel chocks in place on the other! I am looking at an autumn leaves visit to Big Meadows next month or early October -- I'll let the forums know my intentions early!

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I can say to some degree a vague feeling if intimidation of lengthier model is not based on reason but vague fears or emotions

Honestly - backing my 16 foot bass boat trailer is way more difficult than my 30 foot airstream

More scary (that's a strong word ) is with greater length you have need for wider turns and may have more difficulty accessing certain gas stations or stores etc

But I think most agree you should choose the length that serves your needs best and if that is a 25 or 27 - the fears are easily overcame

There are positives and negatives to consider but fear will hopefully not be one of them - "you can dooooo it!"

I had a lot if fears when I first pulled a trailer ever - bass boat - ad after I got used to that the airstream was actually much less fear or better "anxiety"

Backing is not a big deal - and at 25
I think maneuvering in tigger places in campgrounds will be quite doable

The dual axel probably backs nice and straight too

When it is one day the wife and I alone - no kids - we would consider probably a 25 or 27 for nice long trips or even ?? Full timing ??

I think 22 feet is a tad too small to have a proper "Kiki" within - my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
For backing - I take my time - inching very slowly - wife is behind talking to me on my phone - LG tone plus Bluetooth headset

If this will be your first ever trailer - I would recommend (regardless of choice if length) - renting a basic uhaul type trailer ahead of time and getting a bunch of practice in a parking lot with some comes and such - or worst case pull airstream to an empty lot early and do it a bunch - but the other trailer option ahead of time will let you get the basic feel for backing - after that it won't feel so weird like it does for everybody first time

Once you do a whole bunch with say a utility trailer (maybe someone you know has one they can loan you) - then practice with AS and you will quickly see how the AS is not as unpredictable in it's movements as that smaller and "less intimidating" utility trailer....

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I agree that a longer trailer is easier to back than a short trailer. I'm thinking about getting a rear video camera (on trailer) to assist.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Dual axile, nice for "tire blow outs" precaution--of course there are TPM's. Power is one thing, suspension also needs to be a consideration. Best to you on your new adventure. Never leave your dogs alone in your AS, unless someone is there with your cell number in case of an AC failure, or any other emergency--also post "dogs on board" sign front and back. Witnessed first hand a 97 degree day with two large dogs stranded inside a 5th wheel.--track them down using their license plate, highway patrol etc..
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
IanPoulin,
Great Post. I really like the trailer parking/backing exercise you posted. That would surely give a great amount of practice and confidence.

PharmaGeek,
Great idea to practice on a U Haul first. Especially if you need to travel to pickup your AS, lets you do the homework before the real test!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #52
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We love our voyager backup camera on the trailer. Also, learn and practice "The Scoop" http://youtu.be/RLtfrBWzNCw We've found this simple technique to be helpful.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Dallas , Texas
We tow a 22FB with an FJ Cruiser without a problem. Check us out at Garinns on the Go | Living the Airstream Dream One Weekend at a Time
The Garinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #54
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
I recently purchased a 19' Bambi Flying Cloud, specifically because I didn't want the combo in the 16'. I really love it. What did you guys go with?
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
2017 23' International
Amersfoort , Utrecht
Send a message via Skype™ to koosdhr
Hi Adam,

I am very curious what you guys decided to get and how things are going. Or are you still contemplating?

Please keep us posted of your adventures! :-)

Koos
koosdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rogersville , Alabama
Adam - my partner and I had a corner bed - you will hate it! Climbing over someone to get in and out of bed is a pain for both of you. I also do not recommend the wet bath. If you were simply talking weekend or vacation travel it might be okay, but not for full-timing. You definitely ought to look at trucks, tow easy and gives extra storage - you will love driving a truck. Don't worry about be intimidated about towing something longer, you will become a pro in no time. Good luck, safe travels and have fun!
wyndysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #57
Barry M.

1975 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Best of luck however you roll, boys!
Have the time if your life!
Barry Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Did I miss something here? Has the OP every shared what AS was purchased? Hello, Adam.....

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
We purchased a 2012 Sport 16ft. We went with a smaller Airstream because we like to visit urban areas a lot. It fits everywhere and tows beautifully behind our 2014 Ram 1500. Just a perfect combination for us. We might upgrade to a larger unit in a few years, but for now, we are planning on clocking a lot of miles and the 16ft is most efficient. Also, forces us to be out and about more!
adamwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #60
GlamperGirl

When you make it out to the NW be sure and reach out! Lots of great people out here. One of them- Tom wrote a fictional book called Airstreamin' www.tomschabarum.com Have a great time! Be fun and funny! Gimme a break and don't be a hater PaulnGina
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote