Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome Adam,

You will find a lot of great info about the 4 Bambis in a thread in Trailers ->Bambi->Bambi Newer->Bambi 4 model feature differences. Lot of opinions, work arounds, and points of consideration.

Also it is a lot to consider, so go to a dealer or two and really check out the models in person so you can see what turns you on, and what you don't like. For us, we are lusting after a front pano dinette. And need windows and line of sight front to back. Others really want a larger bed. Others gotta have a big shower. Some want counter space. The good thing is once you figure out what you like, you will have at least one unit to pick from with those features.

The floor plan drawings don't really give a sense of proportion and line of sight very well. Good news is that Colonial Airstream has a you tube video on every model.

As to a vehicle, there will be a lot of vehicle options to consider. Think about all of the take alongs, and be realistic about your range of travel and what you will want to bring. The weight adds up. In traveling with animals, as I'm sure you know, it's kind of like having extra passengers along.

I suggest reading other up on tow vehicles on this forum. Ideally you want the best trade off between adequate and safe towing (and braking) capacity, coupled with a daily driver that works for you.

Also do consider a truck if you think you'll want generators and bicycles along.

I never thought I'd get a truck, but I love my new truck.

Have fun deciding!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I tow a 25ft with a 95 Chevy Suburban 2500 3/4 ton w/Barn Doors. Love my Suburban.

LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Welcome!! Good luck with your search and your adventure. My partner and I are in our first season with a 20 ft. Flying Cloud (it's also a Bambi) that we pull with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Love it!! Don't know how it would be if you're full timing in something this size, but for weekends and spending a couple weeks at a time in it, we find it meets our needs perfectly.

Hope to see you down the road!

Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Puyallup , Washington
check out the floor plans and bed sizes before you buy. I'm 6-4 and we sold our 2012 FC19 because the corner bed sucks
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Guys...

My partner and I tow our 2006 19' Safari SE with a 2007 Tacoma Short Bed with a factory tow package ... two of us and two dogs. We think it's a great combination. It's also our only vehicle, so being a V6 is a good thing. We put a tonneau cover on the truck to help restrain the urge to take everything but the kitchen sink with us and keep the weight under control. It works well and we have become pretty good at packing the truck to fit the kind of trip we happen to be on...whether it is all dry camping or with hookups or a combination. We love our Bambi!

Have a great adventure on your way to sunny CA! Enjoy the journey!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Yes we are going to be full timers. Dogs are both very small, under 10lbs each.
adamwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Infinite Possibilities

Having recently gone through a similar quest for an Airstream and (TV) tow vehicle, you hit the jackpot of valuable information when you found this Air Forums site. There is much wisdom to be found here.

Hopefully, you're departure date is flexible so you're not rushed into making a decision. However, Airstreams hold their value and you could always trade your first one or start a collection. Since you are planning on "full timing" you may need extra storage and separate bathroom/ shower.

You're not too far away from Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ where I bought my AS. They keep about 100 Airstreams on their lot which would allow you to perform a side by side comparison.

I was an SUV guy for years and was convinced that's what I was going to buy to pull my new AS, until I started comparing the towing capacities.
I decided on a Ford F150 5.0L Super Crew pickup and now I'm wondering why it took me so long to get one.

Tow vehicles come and go but an Airstream is forever!

Enjoy your journey.

SilverBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
We couldn't give up after 24 years of BMW ownership, so now I have a Class A Airstream and a BMW toad. There's some open issues about towing with a dolly: the back wheels on my 1996 318ti are on the ground so I changed the diff and MT to fresh synthetic oil, will see how it works out.

Earlier posts allude to the massive amount of information and opinions on this board about TV's and various years and models of silver bullets. We had started like we did with a house, with a list of mandatory and optional designs. For instance, will you be boondocking a lot, or not at all? Long freeway runs or short hops? Will you be packrats like u or minimalists? Carrying pets?

Once you get ready to roll, check out the events posted here: better yet, if there are any near you, just go by and talk to the attendees and tour their trailers.
Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Honestly, for two guys, I believe you would be so much more comfortable in a 27" if for no other reason than the bed configuration. The side beds I think would be a nightmare for you. What a great adventure you two are about to embark on! You will have so many happy times ahead of you. Best of luck and post your pictures!!

Let the good times roll! Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Personally I like diesels for tow vehicles as they get great gas mileage. I believe there is a diesel VW Toureg that people seem to like. Dodge just came out with a 1500 truck they call an "ecodiesel" with 28mpg and 9200lbs towing capacity. That sounds like a great option. For a lot of gasoline models, you'll be lucky to get 10 to 12mpg! Maybe some of the newer engine technologies can be higher though. I'm not sure.

If you are going to be towing a lot as a full timer, the savings from getting a good MPG tow vehicle can really add up.

I got really hung up on the tow vehicle question as I didn't really see myself driving around a truck and when you start to talk tow vehicles around here, some people will soon chime in and try to convince you that you need a semi tractor to pull a trailer (well maybe I exaggerate just a bit). In the end, I got a short bed, ext cab truck with a "sport" package and I'm pretty happy with it. Outside of tow vehicles, I'm mostly a european luxury car guy though so it was a bit of a change.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The 75x48 corner beds in the Bambis are cramped....barely doable for humans of average height. This may become more apparent down the road.

The International 23D has the same corner bed but also has a generous side bed/couch. The 23 FB has a 60x75 walk around front bed. Both are 8 foot wide trailers and are easily towable by 1500/150 trucks and larger suvs.
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
2013 25' International
Los Angeles , California
Adam, you may want to factor in you and your partners body size. I'm 6' and my partner is 6-2. I was looking at the 23' models but went with a 25' International CCD because the bed was normal size. However, check the manufacturers max tow capacity on your vehicle before deciding. My 25' weighs 4400 empty and I tow with a ford F-150 ecoboost that's rated to 9000 pounds. I live in LA so welcome in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WildmanInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #27

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you are looking at a current model SRX, I think you will find it challenged for towing duties. The FJ cruiser is a Tacoma sourced drivetrain I believe, so it should do pretty well with trailers short enough not to challenge the Toyota's short wheelbase.

If you like BMW, the X5 diesel reportedly makes a very good tow vehicle for airstreams quite a bit larger than you are thinking about so it might be a good SUV to look into. Posh, not too huge, very capable vehicle.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Not sure about the specs, but i'd have to think the Cadillac might be heavier, and possibly a longer wheel base. I know that the longer wheel base makes a large difference after letting my friend tow my 29' Excella behind a short wheel base older suv. If you ask me, heavier is also better for staying "in control". I agree with many of the earlier you homework, read the specs for each car, and call Andy.

1992 Excella Classic 29'
...2013 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 Gasser
Tltulsa is offline   Reply With Quote