Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Transition to "Full Timers"

Hey Gang,

As I've mentioned previously, my Partner (fiancé) & I are going thru the process to become "Full Timers." Well, as a trial run, I'm taking the entire month of January off from my job & we are traveling from New Orleans, thru Nashville, to Washington DC, where we'll be legally married on 01/15/13 (our 7th anniversary). Then on to Atlanta & a few campgrounds in between.
My question to the group is:
Should we be concerned about "Black Ice" on the mountain roads up north? It's our only concern. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanx Y'all!!
2 Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

oxford , New York
yes

I don't even have my trailer yet!

But I have travelled in my car home to NY State from Baltimore area on New Year's day a dozen or so years ago. There was an ice storm and in Maryland cars were everywhere except where they were supposed to be. Mainly drivers going too fast. Not enough experience in winter conditions in the Mid-Atlantic region I guess.

Watch the forecast, leave early, go slow and leave plenty of distance between you and the maniacs you'll be sharing the road with. Best wishes!
virtuallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Yes

As Virtuallyme said watch the weather and leave yourself plenty of time. I would add leave early for the trip, not necessarily the day. That way others find the bad spots first!

It will definitely be a baptism by fire heading to the north east in winter. Others have done it and we have camped in below freezing weather as well. You just have to be prepared and proactive in your heat (no freeze) management.

I would rather face the cold and ice than the normal traffic on the I-95! I go out of my way to avoid it.

Good luck, Congrats and have great journey (both with airstream and new spouse)

Keep us posted and as always pictures are a must!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Thanx Y'all. I'd LUV to post some pix on here, if I could only figure out HOW!?! And yes, we have the whole month to get wherever we're going. And as per Cowboy's schedule, we are set to arrive in DC on Friday & our wedding isn't until the following Tuesday. So there's PLENTY of wiggle room. And Father Ed (Wedding Officiant) already has our license/papers in order up there.
But as I said, the icy roads are the only thing we're concerned with. Been watching the weather closely, but we all know how quickly that can change!!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Rock on! Good luck to you both.... Aitstreaming and in marital bliss...

Remember road salt is killer in the north so keep her clean at all costs.

Have you discovered the FOD (friends of Dorothy) group here on the forums? A rainbow group....

Best wishes. Will and family
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think you need to be very careful, and wait until the sun is up and traffic is moving before you get out onto the road.

It looks like it's fixin' to be another fairly mild winter up North, but black ice develops easily and is highly treacherous.

Watch the local weather, drive carefully and have a great trip

Maggie
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'd consider a more southern route - to Atlanta (seriously AROUND Atlanta - avoid it and it's beltways, then into NC, and up 81... But then 81 is almost all mountain. You could go all the way east in NC until you CROSS I-95, then meander into Virginia and take 301 north. 301 is a pretty drive, though slower. That route keeps you in hill country, but not as high altitudes as TN & KY.

In 2010 I took the northern route west through Memphis to San Antonio - and it wasn't really bad except crossing the Mississippi in heavy traffic, however I took it in high summer.

What others have posted about black ice is all great advice - and admittedly - you could get some on the longer southern route too. Be careful and don't drive at night or before the sun is well up in the morning.

Paula
Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Thanx Y'all & yes Atomic, I found the FOD area & have posted in it. I too suspect it'll be another mild winter, but am keeping my guard up just the same. We're taking that "Southern route" for our return trip. But planned on the Tennessee route, in order to visit friends as well as Built from Skratch, a vintage trailer restorer. As we spend more & more time in The Tumbleweed (AS), to see what we need & don't, we plan to visit the various Vintage Trailer shops we've seen in Airstream Life. They're sprinkled all around the country, which will be fun. Ultimately, choosing one to do a "frame off" update on our rig. Anyway... that's the plan.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Congrats, guys. Unless you plan to drive back roads I think ice in the Airstreams systems is a greater threat than on the road(barring a recent snowstorm). I'm ignorant of the state of underbody heat in a 79, but even newer units burn lots of propane keeping things unfroze. Then the heated water line... nights in Tennessee, the Shenandoah and NoVa can easily be in the teens in mid Jan. and days not above freezing.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Well, we just arrived "home" after the big Wedding/Adventure. And it was just that, an ADVENTURE. There's SO much to share. Wish I could figure out how to post pix on this site.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Well, I'm happy to announce that we took the first real step towards becoming "Full Timers" yesterday. I handed in my 2 week notice/resignation & also went public w/our plans on Facebook. Now we start the daunting task of liquidating EVERYTHING.
YaY!!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cowboys View Post
Hey Gang,

As I've mentioned previously, my Partner (fiancé) & I are going thru the process to become "Full Timers." Well, as a trial run, I'm taking the entire month of January off from my job & we are traveling from New Orleans, thru Nashville, to Washington DC, where we'll be legally married on 01/15/13 (our 7th anniversary). Then on to Atlanta & a few campgrounds in between.
My question to the group is:
Should we be concerned about "Black Ice" on the mountain roads up north? It's our only concern. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanx Y'all!!
Hi 2 Cowboys,

I lived in Pittsburgh,PA most of my life and experienced black ice a few times. There's ice and then there's black ice and if you get black ice there is ZERO you can do to control your vehicle or trailer. You will be completely helpless until it melts. We had black ice in front of our house in Pgh. once and we just sat by the window and watched the cars slide into the ditch. The drivers would usually try to get out of their cars and as soon as they did they'd fall down. Another "nice" feature of true black ice is that you usually can't see it. I know you've probably returned from your trip but just wanted to pass along my 2 cents worth on your question.

Best regards,

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Thanx John. Yes, we're home. And yes, we DID hit a patch of black ice on I-85 in North Carolina. The AS started to "fish tail" & we ended up doing a 180 right there on the interstate. Didn't roll, didn't hit anyone or anything. And even kept our britches clean (which was a real mystery)!! But all of our "Good Karma" points & "Safe Travel" wishes were definitely used up on that one!! Here's a pic of what went for a spin...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1524909163.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	649.9 KB
ID:	179015  
Old 02-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Holy smokes guys!! You are two lucky men for sure. I can't imagine hitting black ice with an AS in tow - you're veterans now!

Best regards,

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
United in Transition

Hi 2Cowboys,

First off, belated congrats on your wedding! Great stuff!

I'm in a similar position to you in that I will become a full timer later this year. I'll be starting from "the basement" so to speak in that I live and work in Australia (and will move back to the US) and don't even own an Airstream yet!

Looking forward to seeing more posts on your transition...I'm sure I'll learn from them!

All the best,

John
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
We're happy to share our experiences! You can also follow me on Facebook "Marc Anthoni" I'm not hard to find, but DO send me a PM letting me know your from Air Forums. I get requests often, but don't address them as often as I should.
As for our "Transition" we've researched & joined the various clubs:
WBCCI
Workamper
Good Sam
Escapees
As well as buying into OCP, which is Ocean Canyon Properties. A network of campgrounds. Our purchase last March of the '79 AS was a good decision. She's a lil rough around the edges, but taking shape nicely. We got it at a VERY reasonable price, which as most recourses will tell you, is just sort of a "down payment."
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
I'm happy to report on our progress. I turned in my notice on Valentine's day. This weekend will be my last @ The Bourbon Pub & Parade Disco, after 22 years. We've already started organizing "Estate Sales" to liquidate our sticks & bricks. It's a big process, as we have lots of STUFF! But we've given ourselves 2 months to do it & plan on treating it as a temporary "Full Time" job. Mon-Fri, 9-5, we work on organizing, advertising & pricing. And on the weekends, we SELL SELL SELL!! We have 3 properties, 2 storage units & several cars to get gone, so we can start our new life as Full Timers!!
YaY