Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuckled View Post
Oklahoma, Texas N. Mexico, Colorado, are in the 'dark' section of the states.....
I wouldn't include New Mexico as part of the list. We've lived in NM for over 8 years and never had any problems. We live in a small town with a sizable gay population. We were warmly welcomed when we moved in. We are completely accepted and we do not hide the fact that we are gay.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
Proudly display your sticker and also fly your flag high. You and your partner would most likely be good neighbors. I do see quite a few lesbians at campgrounds but not so many gay males. Not telling you how to conduct yourself in a family campground but there are children. Good evening
Robert
Well, the people in our neighborhood think that we are good neighbors. We are always included in all the neighborhood activities.

We don't conduct ourselves any differently around children than we do around adults. Why should we? As a matter of fact, many of our gay friends actually are parents and dammed good ones too.

Imagine that.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #63
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Ironically, it stopped when an old and very closeted lesbian couple moved out of the neighborhood. The same sticker has been on the box now for over 6 years. Go figure!
Love it! So they weren't homophobic... they just wanted exclusivity!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Love it! So they weren't homophobic... they just wanted exclusivity!
It was pretty interesting. They were both 75+ and had been together for years. They still introduced each other as "roommates" and still very much in the closet. Definitely of a different generation.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
It was so frequent that we kept a supply of them in the car. Ironically, it stopped when an old and very closeted lesbian couple moved out of the neighborhood. The same sticker has been on the box now for over 6 years. Go figure!
Maybe they were reusing the stickers themselves - on the inside of their closet.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
We lived most of our lives in DC where rainbow stickers are a non issue. We've proudly had them on our cars for years. Currently we have a rainbow cowboy sticker on the bumper of our truck along with a rainbow DC sticker and a HRC "=" sticker. We have rainbow flamingos on our trailer.

The only issue we ever had with displaying stickers was in our own neighborhood after we moved to New Mexico. We put one on our community mailbox a few years ago. It was a small sticker on our box so we could easily spot it. Well, someone kept peeling it off - we'd put another on - they would peel it off - almost daily. It was so frequent that we kept a supply of them in the car. Ironically, it stopped when an old and very closeted lesbian couple moved out of the neighborhood. The same sticker has been on the box now for over 6 years. Go figure!
Absolutey no disrespect intended !

I am of a different generation and still uncomorfortable with all this - and at this stage of my life, likely to stay that way, believing that some things are best kept private, r at least nit flaunted!

I honestly don't understand, why do people feel there is still the need to throw this sort of thing in the face of other people?

While I may still feel slightly uncomfortable about it, probably due to my upbringing - a very powerful influence - I do understand that it is no longer against the law, and is quite acceptable.

And so why don't folks just get on with it and do what they want to do without feeling the need to advertise?

I am obviously just stating my own thoughts, and I hope I can do so in an honest way without drawing all kinds of criticism, but I tend to find that overt symbols, special events, and the like that draw attention tend to make me feel less receptive rather than more! What is the intent?

Now, I do know some very nice folks that "Ride on the other bus" so I hope you won;t read into my remarks that I am some sort of fanatic! emails and internet communication can easily be misconstrued as I' m sure we have all found out at one time or another!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
You have the sticker on your car. Has that caused any issues in the past? if not then you would probably be fine putting them on your truck and camper.

Personally I'm not a fan of stickers on our vehicles and certainly not on our AS. We currently don't have a trailer but our previous one had two dealer stickers and I messed up the clear coat trying to remove one so I left the other alone. It also had a giant decal along both sides that I didn't care for. While it looked nice I only visioned it pealing one day.

I also saw a late model trailer for sale that had multiple stickers on the front and back, the price was great but the stickers were a turn off for me.

In fact this is a great reminder to me to let our dealer know not to put his stickers on our AS when it arrives for delivery. One day when it starts to show it's age I'm sure I won't care, but until then no stickers on the AS for us. But then again when DH retires from the military, if he wants an Air Force retired sticker, no problem!

As far as being a target, well owning a AS seems to draw attention sometimes anyway. Does your car sticker bring you positive attention? Maybe write a pro and con list then go from there.

Logically I would think it's simply not worth the risk that you are concerned about just to have some stickers on your truck and trailer. Anyone can become a target for the scum of the earth that looks to harm people, rob them etc. So if you have the slightest concern of some negative conflict because of the stickers, don't do it.

I like to keep a low profile where ever I go. I don't do anything to draw attention to myself by the way I dress, what I drive, or how I treat people. Still occasionally I run into someone that treats me like crap, seems to hate me for no reason, it's rare but there are some real low life's out there. If I knew that when I displayed a certain sticker, I stood a much better chance of some A-hole or worse coming at me then no, I would not display the sticker.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Absolutey no disrespect intended !

I am of a different generation and still uncomorfortable with all this - and at this stage of my life, likely to stay that way, believing that some things are best kept private, r at least nit flaunted!

I honestly don't understand, why do people feel there is still the need to throw this sort of thing in the face of other people?

While I may still feel slightly uncomfortable about it, probably due to my upbringing - a very powerful influence - I do understand that it is no longer against the law, and is quite acceptable.

And so why don't folks just get on with it and do what they want to do without feeling the need to advertise?

I am obviously just stating my own thoughts, and I hope I can do so in an honest way without drawing all kinds of criticism, but I tend to find that overt symbols, special events, and the like that draw attention tend to make me feel less receptive rather than more! What is the intent?

Now, I do know some very nice folks that "Ride on the other bus" so I hope you won;t read into my remarks that I am some sort of fanatic! emails and internet communication can easily be misconstrued as I' m sure we have all found out at one time or another!

Brian
Brian - I absolutely understand and respect your position.

Displaying a rainbow flag or sticker is not flaunting a lifestyle. It's a statement of pride.

Just as you did not choose to be straight when you were in your adolescence, I did not choose to be gay. It's just the way I was (and am) and nothing can change it. Trust me, why would anyone in their right mind ever choose a life where they are subject to the hate, discrimination and harassment that gay people are?

When I was in high school and coming to grips with who I was, I had to be silent or face incredible bullying and humiliation. When I entered the workforce I had to remain in silence because I was subjected to being fired just for being myself.

When I met my partner of 31 years we both had to live in secret. He was serving in the US Army and faced immediate discharge. After he spent 20 years in the service and retired we were able to rest a little easier. and be ourselves. We still cannot be legally married and have our relationship recognized in the eyes of the law. Thirty one years together. How many straight people can say that?

Being gay goes beyond our intimate life. It is our whole life. Just as you and your wife share every aspect of your life together so do me and my partner. I don't flaunt what goes on in my intimate life as I'm sure you don't either.

If you choose to look at a sticker or banner as being "flaunting" or "in your face" it is truly your prerogative to do so. I assure you, I have a rainbow sticker on my car, TV and Airstream as a symbol of pride.

I have fought 5 decades of discrimination. I don't ask for your sympathy or compassion. I just want you to realize that being gay is a lot more than sleeping with someone of the same sex. It's about sharing life with someone I love deeply. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind but if I shed only a small ray of light on the issue than I've accomplished my objective.

Again, I respect your opinion and I want to thank you for stepping forward and expressing it.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

...SNIP...

Please let me chime in with a thought or two. It is rare to see a married man who does not advertise his sexuality and "throw this sort of thing in the face of other people" every day. First, most married men wear a wedding ring advertising their relationship. Most have photos sitting everywhere, on their desk, on their walls, in their wallet. If you ask, they will show you photos of their spouse and their children, advertising their sexuality for all to see.

I honestly don't understand, why do heterosexuals feel there is still the need to throw this sort of thing in the face of other people?

Why can't those heterosexuals just get on with it and do what they want to do without feeling the need to advertise?

Why can't they keep what they do in the bedroom private and put away the photos and rings and anniversary cards and such??

Richard Rodgers knew you were not born "uncomfortable." You were taught to be uncomfortable. There is no reason for it. Richard Rodgers was from a different generation, born in 1902 and even he was quite aware that you have to be TAUGHT to be uncomfortable with people who are different then you. He wrote about those who choose discrimination against logic and reason, for no reason other than they are taught to be uncomfortable with all of this, people who are not like us for whatever reason.

Being of an EVEN EARLIER generation, he still knew that discrimination was taught, it is a learned behaviour, it is a choice you make!! There is no reason for it, there is no logic to it.

You've got to be taught
Before it's too late
Before you are 6 or 7 or 8
To hate all the people
your relatives hate
You've got to be carefully taught

I do not understand why those heteresexuals don't just keep it in the bedroom and not flaunt it publicly to all the rest of us God-fearing Americans?? Why can't those heterosexuals just get on with it and do what they want to do without feeling the need to advertise?

???

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #70
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I got to experience a little bit of what it was like to be black in 1963. I was on the NAACP bus, one of two whites aboard, on the way to the March on Washington from Easton, Pa. We stopped at a restaurant in Md. and when the they saw the bus, they locked the door and put up the closed sign. We could see them in the window hardly pretending to really be closed. I felt angry but I could only feel a little bit of what blacks felt all their lives.

I can't imagine what it must be like not to be able marry someone you love, to hide who you are, to pretend, to suffer constant insults.

It took a supreme court decision to outlaw marital discrimination when different races marry. It will probably take another supreme court decision for this issue, but this is now a court that may not change the law and that will be sad for all people who believe in equality.

Gene
Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #71

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Here is some food for thought.

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/cnn/big/us/...ipad.qtref.mov
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #72

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I got to experience a little bit of what it was like to be black in 1963. I was on the NAACP bus, one of two whites aboard, on the way to the March on Washington from Easton, Pa. We stopped at a restaurant in Md. and when the they saw the bus, they locked the door and put up the closed sign. We could see them in the window hardly pretending to really be closed. I felt angry but I could only feel a little bit of what blacks felt all their lives.

I can't imagine what it must be like not to be able marry someone you love, to hide who you are, to pretend, to suffer constant insults.

It took a supreme court decision to outlaw marital discrimination when different races marry. It will probably take another supreme court decision for this issue, but this is now a court that may not change the law and that will be sad for all people who believe in equality.

Gene
The way the court is stacked right now, I wouldn't bet my mortgage payment on them making the right ruling on Loving v. Virginia, much less same-sex marriage rights. Maybe they would if some big corporation wanted to marry a corporation of the same sex?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I like AIR stickers...

The direction this thread is going is worrisome.

Never judge a book by the cover.

This is a forum about Airstreams and the people that are passionate about them.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post

That was a very interesting news clip. Thank you for sharing it.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhx4 View Post
You have the sticker on your car. Has that caused any issues in the past? if not then you would probably be fine putting them on your truck and camper.

Personally I'm not a fan of stickers on our vehicles and certainly not on our AS. We currently don't have a trailer but our previous one had two dealer stickers and I messed up the clear coat trying to remove one so I left the other alone. It also had a giant decal along both sides that I didn't care for. While it looked nice I only visioned it pealing one day.
Excellent point. I was concerned about the clear coat too. That's why I have only have a couple of small stickers on my Airstream and they are either on the bumper or the windows. The dealer has a sticker on the clear coat right near the door. I don't really like it there but I'm leaving it alone.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Im with SafariSS...where can i get 'Hetero' sticker? lol
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Im with SafariSS...where can i get 'Hetero' sticker? lol
You can get an Airforums sticker here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...nts-20812.html. lol!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
You can get an Airforums sticker here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...nts-20812.html. lol!
LOL - that's a good one Lee! I like it!

I have my AIR sticker and I put it on my rear window so I wouldn't mess up my clear coat!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
I like AIR stickers...

The direction this thread is going is worrisome.

Never judge a book by the cover.

This is a forum about Airstreams and the people that are passionate about them.
Yes, we should celebrate our common denominator of AS ownership vs. engaging in any potentially-divisive debate about sexual orientation.

This female - who just happens to be straight - has been welcomed with open arms by both factions on this site.

Likewise, I embrace you all.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Cheech & Chong had a good idea. A stock of decals and decorations that are easily removable that are applied when you find yourself in a minority evironment and disguise the fact you are part of the dominant socio-economic class. It can work at both canned ham and big box motorhome campground environments. It did get Tommy Chong in a compromising situation though, after Cheech told Chong "pendejo" means "nice guy" in their temporarily politcally correct van with removable pom poms and decals while traveling through East LA.