Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #43
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Truth is in the eye of the beholder (or sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!)

Rainbows are cool - the state of Hawaii has them on their license plates (that's why we use as our avatar - have you ever seen a rainbow over a waterfall in Hawaii???) A saying that I picked up in Hawaii - "no rain, no rainbows!"

Back in the early 60's, I was a "Rainbow Girl", a sorority style club originally associated with the Mason's & Eastern Star. I wore a "Rainbow" pin and earned one bar for each color of the rainbow for service projects. After 7 projects, I received a "pot of gold" metaphorically speaking.

After the big flood in Genesis, the rainbow set in the clouds was God's covenant between Him & the Earth.

The 7 spectral colors of the rainbow represent the 7 major chakra energy centers.

So, yes, sure, affix your rainbow to the trailer (hint - do it on the windows as stickers are SOB's to remove when faded from the clearcoat)

If we pass you by on the highway of life and I see your rainbow colors on your trailer, it will probably evoke the above mentioned thoughts. But don't fret over what I or anyone else thinks - stand true to your convictions. I once affixed a piggie sticker to the back window of our argosy - just because it made me smile every time I looked at it!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #44
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
I read your post and realize I'm one of the ones that gave an opinion rather than an answer. I say no to the rainbow sticker. I have a rule I stick to when it comes to conversations with my clients; I will not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. I save these topics for those close to me as they will know my heart on these matters, not casual acquaintances. If I meet someone at a campground and they ask for my thoughts, I will share, but I don't typically care what others think anyways.
My two bits. (now excuse me while I go practice with the Japanese men's gospel choir for an upcoming musical about Marxism)

Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
Put it on !!!!! Be proud!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Yes - we'll honk when we see you!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #47
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I don't mind when people feel a need to advertise their personal or sexual persuasion, or there favorite president three years after an election, or whether they coexist, or like fish, or support ducks or are a confederate or whatever floats their boat. It lets me know what to expect and whether or not to avoid them. So do whatever feels good for you...

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Put anything you want on your Airstream, but my question is why do you care what we think? Hopefully someday no one will think of putting such stickers on anything because sexual orientation will not be an issue.

But also, some stories—more than 30 years ago I had a girl friend who lived in the "Rainbow House" in Lakewood, Colorado. It was made out of a single wide, a school bus and another room built onto that. Across the front was a big rainbow. I assure you she was heterosexual. That house is long gone and I have no idea what happened to her. She was a good blues singer too.

Then came Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow Coalition which I thought mean all colors of skin were the same and equal. Apparently I have been out of the loop and now rainbow means gay. I just can't keep up with this.

I have friends who are of different races, religions, non-religions, sexual orientation, different political opinions, short, tall, skinny, fat, redheads, big noses, little noses, old, young, blondes and on and on. What matters to me are things like honesty, acceptance of differences, some smarts, helpfulness, self awareness. It helps to have an Airstream, but that's not enough.

I just got a new MacBook Pro and it came with two Apple stickers. Maybe I'll put one on our Safari. It already has one for the Dalton Highway. I have had political stickers on my truck and despite living in ultra-conservative western Colorado no one has trashed my liberal stickers (however, Democratic yard signs are routinely trashed around here during election time by vandals).

One more story—many will know this and I hope I have the right country. When Hitler took over Denmark he ordered that Jews wear yellow badges shaped like a mogendavid (Jewish star) with "Jude" on it. The king got one and wore it and then everyone in Denmark did the same thing and the Danes said "we are all Jews (Juden)". That idea has lived on, for example, when NYC was attacked in 2001, many people said "we are all New Yorkers". So maybe everyone should get rainbow stickers.

Gene
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Why question it

Proudly display your sticker and also fly your flag high. You and your partner would most likely be good neighbors. I do see quite a few lesbians at campgrounds but not so many gay males. Not telling you how to conduct yourself in a family campground but there are children. Good evening
Robert
Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Instead of the sticker, why not do a fantastic airbrushed painting depicting a rainbow spanning out of a cloud burst. Airbrushed rainbows look much better than those little graphic stickers. Me and Angel actually started out gay, and evolved into the very best friends on the planet. And thats much better than gay my friend.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
Proudly display your sticker and also fly your flag high. You and your partner would most likely be good neighbors.
No offence intended to anyone but...the problem I see in the south in general and in good ole Texas is that the (specific names deleted) group will "key" your car faster than the (opposite name deleted) group will even if you have a Bush sticker or gay sticker or atheist sticker or any sticker they do not like. It's a shame that you can't simply wear a sticker on your car without vandalism being done by those who don't like it. Then they accuse you of promoting your agenda, whatever that means.

I only have a USMC sticker on my car because my Dad fought on Iwo Jima. Nobody is gonna argue with the Marines. I hope those other folks don't mind my agenda.

D*

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thats some what right, you know, we live here in the middle of the Bible Belt (remember that?) And you just see people working and that is about it.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
... Not telling you how to conduct yourself in a family campground but there are children...

It seems to me that the "implied" advice would be most appropriate for any and all population groups.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuckled View Post
Me and Angel actually started out gay, and evolved into the very best friends on the planet. And thats much better than gay my friend.
Being nonjudgmental about how people live is even better.

Gene the practicing hetero who doesn't care about what consenting adults do
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Yeah....your right
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
san diego , California
i have "equality for all" on my truck and a bisexual flag sticker on my airstream. i have only gotten positive comments to either, but i also look "tougher" than most. to the random heteros in the FOD forum: my straight male cousin has a rainbow sticker and equality sticker on his mini van. support whatever you support!