Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
There is something the Wally Byam creed about following a rainbow to it's end.

"To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end… and thus make your travel dreams come true."

So there.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
RellikJM,

It really depends on your comfort level, if it seems right then do it. As others said, it's your trailer! JB
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
Rainbow.............

I live in Rainbow Planation (when not on the road), my address is Rainbow dr.
Maybe you should consider joining the Escapee's RV club where diversity is encouraged not frowned upon. Just a thought

Terry
Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Rainbow stickers.

I never understood the need to advertise this. Its one thing to be confident in yourself and live your life how you want and to its fullest, but life is not a competition, nor a extended advertising campaign. If your searching for a soulmate, put yourself on a dating site. Airstreams are for camping and living in, not personal marketing tools. I say get over it, and your character and the way you live is what shows who you are.

If indeed you just want to attract other people with similar lifestyles, why not have a sticker made that says "I'm Gay, check me out". Seem more effective then a rainbow sticker.

I'm not judging your lifestyle at all, I just find the whole sticker thing amusing. Maybe I said too much, but you asked for opinions, and so you shall get them.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Rainbow stickers, numbers, Political bumper stickers, I heart state stickers, whatever. Go camping, have fun, leave your agendas..all of them..at home.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Rainbow stickers, numbers, Political bumper stickers, I heart state stickers, whatever. Go camping, have fun, leave your agendas..all of them..at home.
Hi, I just can't do that; I have to have my AIR FORUMS stickers with me when I travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4131.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	128402   Click image for larger version

Name:	4132.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	128403  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Interesting topic. Here in Northern CA we would not think twice about that, but if you will be camping through the deep south (stereotype warning here) then perhaps you can find a static cling rainbow and remove where/when you think there could be an issue. Our recent NorCal rally welcomes everyone, as FreshAir will verify. IMHO, we Airstream owners are more flexible/tolerant, and any "issues" would be elsewhere with SOB's. <g>
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Taylor , Texas
I'm an uber-conservative Southerner (much to the chagrin of my liberal, Canadian wife), and I have to imagine that at most places you're not going to have a problem. If anyone does start anything, it's mostly just to see if they can get a rise out of you. As a University of Texas ex, duly noted by the Longhorn sticker affixed to my truck, I have gotten quite a few comments no matter where I have traveled.

Some folks just want to see if they can get a reaction out of you. If it's not the rainbow sticker, then it's something else. If you don't give in, then they don't win. For what it's worth... whenever I get my ol' girl up and running, I'd be proud to camp next to you any day. As long as you don't mind the blaring country music and a fridge full of Lone Star Beer. Yeee-haw!

BTW, I'm with SafariSS.. Where do I get the "HETERO" sticker?!?!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #29
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
This is a risk assessment issue. Is the reward of displaying the rainbow sticker worth the risk of a drunken immature bigoted tirade? I'm sure most people don't think twice about it, but there are enough idiots in the world that we should at times proceed with caution. I know that up here in Vancouver I rarely see rainbow stickers anymore, and I sense this is because we're kinda past the gay vs straight thing, we are just "us".
You might have the odd goof ball take notice, but it could be an opportunity to educate or change ones view?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Colorado , USA
Unhappy People fear things they don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
I never understood the need to advertise this. Its one thing to be confident in yourself and live your life how you want and to its fullest, but life is not a competition, nor a extended advertising campaign. If your searching for a soulmate, put yourself on a dating site. Airstreams are for camping and living in, not personal marketing tools. I say get over it, and your character and the way you live is what shows who you are.

If indeed you just want to attract other people with similar lifestyles, why not have a sticker made that says "I'm Gay, check me out". Seem more effective then a rainbow sticker.

I'm not judging your lifestyle at all, I just find the whole sticker thing amusing. Maybe I said too much, but you asked for opinions, and so you shall get them.
You are judging my "lifestyle" and assuming that I'm looking for a date. I'm happily partnered going on 10 years in October. I believe you have missed the point of the stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
It's not an "agenda" I'm trying to push. It's nothing more than what I have said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellikjm

For the same reasons people put Ichthus, Flying Spaghetti Monster, McCain Palin, Obama, NRA, Ducks Unlimited, AIR Stickers, WBCCI numbers, Calvin Peeing on _____ or any other sticker you put on your truck or Airstream.

I enjoy knowing that I'm not alone and I'm in the company of people that share something in common with me.
In our current society hetrosexuals don't need to hide their identity therefore a hetero sticker is a moot point. There are plenty of people that would like to harm, harrass or kill me because I'm different and they don't understand things that are different.

Chances are you would walk up to another Airstream to talk with them than walk up to a SOB because you already share something in common with the Airstream people.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #31
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm retired, just burned out from conflicts that were part of my job. Don't want any more confrontation, court hearings etc.

I drive an anonymous car. No stickers, very easily forgotten if I ever unintentionally make a driving error. I want to be as unmemorable as possible. The Airstream itself is quite a stretch for me.

So I agree with some of the other posters.. it's just how you want to approach the world. I hand it to you if you slap the sticker on and enjoy your travels. Odds are you'll be fine.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
Airstreams are for camping and living in, not personal marketing tools.
Gotta disagree there - the vehicles we choose, the trailers we tow... I think it's all about making non-verbal statements about ourselves. Otherwise this site would simply be a series of "how to" threads on stopping leaks and hooking up batteries.

Most of us are aware on some level that our belongings define us to some degree - both for ourselves and everyone else. Gucci or Carhartt, Ford or Bentley, pop-up or Prevost: we know we're judged by this stuff, and pretending we don't care is just another way of defining ourself: guy who doesn't care what others think.

Functionality, quality, and our budgets also certainly play a big role in what we buy, but let's be honest - if Airstreams were good quality, but had only been around for a couple years, had no history or reputation and were boxy and beige... don't you suspect most of us wouldn't give them a passing glance?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RellikJM View Post
There are plenty of people that would like to harm, harrass or kill me because I'm different...
You just summed up the risk yourself. Balance that statement with the joy and possibilities of striking up conversations with other open-minded people who just want everyone to be as happy as they are, and I think a rainbow does broadcast that "Hey, we're a little different!" message. If it had no meaning, why waste the vinyl and ink, right?

Maybe you'll wind up with a magnet so you can decide when you feel like potentially making new friends - and conversely - when you'd rather have a low profile.

Pride will always be risky, in sports, politics and (unfortunately) things we can't even choose like skin color and sexual orientation. We'd park next to ya. Unless you're a White Sox fan.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
You are judging my "lifestyle" and assuming that I'm looking for a date. I'm happily partnered going on 10 years in October. I believe you have missed the point of the stickers.

It's not an "agenda" I'm trying to push. It's nothing more than what I have said before:

In our current society hetrosexuals don't need to hide their identity therefore a hetero sticker is a moot point. There are plenty of people that would like to harm, harrass or kill me because I'm different and they don't understand things that are different.

Chances are you would walk up to another Airstream to talk with them than walk up to a SOB because you already share something in common with the Airstream people.
I don't get it - you asked anyone and everyone for their opinion, and then you argue w/ people who respond. I'm thinking that if what you really wanted was to know if you should put your sticker on your vehicle or not, then you would have asked individuals that you actually know/trust/respect . . .

I would say 99.9% of the people on THIS forum don't CARE what is the color your skin, hair, eyes, teeth (might be wrong on that one), who makes your clothes, who you sleep with, whether or not you're a dog or a cat person . . .

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 50-60% don't really WANT to know either.

My personal opinion: Don't much care for Stickers of any kind, especially political ones.

Let me know if you want me to keep my opinion to myself.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Colorado , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I don't get it - you asked anyone and everyone for their opinion, and then you argue w/ people who respond. I'm thinking that if what you really wanted was to know if you should put your sticker on your vehicle or not, then you would have asked individuals that you actually know/trust/respect . . .
My personal opinion: Don't much care for Stickers of any kind, especially political ones.
MarkR
I asked in the Friends of Dorothy area of the site, not the whole site thinking that I would receive answers from FOD members primarily. I'm happy that others have answered the question that aren't FOD members.

I didn't ask to get an opinion about the sticker and what it means to you.

I wanted an opinion on the sticker alone. Simple yes or no. Your answer includes a simple no, while others didn't answer the question but offered their opinions instead of answering the question.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
levity alert

Wonder what the WBCCI rule book says about how to display your rainbow gear.

*******ducks and covers*********************

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Do what makes you feel good - but I'm thinking if you are asking us here then perhaps you already have your answer and you shouldn't put one on....

But, in case I'm wrong - I see lots of gay couples in campgrounds all over the US, and not once have I heard of any being harrassed, rest assurred if I was around and saw it occurring I would be all over the "perps" (always up for a good scrap for the right reasons).

No room for bullies in my campground (life)...

I say go for it and be proud - if my gal would let me I would have some naked women painted on my Airstream, somehow I don't think my gal would be too appreciative...

OK, maybe I wouldn't have naked gals painted on the stream - but you get my point!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Airstream has proven itself as a design icon of excellence in design just as the Barcelona Chair, Sofa, Lounge, the Wassily chair, or the cesco chair. I bought my first new Airstream at the age of 27 because I had looked up to the Airstream superior design and workmanship. I would never put a bumper sticker on it. I feel it would make it look like a redneck SOB and I consider myself somewhat a redneck. I do have the Airstream Club numbers and associated stickers on but that is also a part of the Airstream design. LOL I really like the little red stars. That is my opinion is if you pay good money for a piece or art why make it look cheap.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
I asked in the Friends of Dorothy area of the site, not the whole site thinking that I would receive answers from FOD members primarily. I'm happy that others have answered the question that aren't FOD members.
well it is a public forum - the world can see/access this and every other post on here, not just Aluminumskulls . . . perhaps you didn't know that your post would show up on the "portal" screen.

Quote:
I didn't ask to get an opinion about the sticker and what it means to you.

I wanted an opinion on the sticker alone. Simple yes or no. Your answer includes a simple no, while others didn't answer the question but offered their opinions instead of answering the question.
Come on, have you never posted on a forum before? I think when a person is giving their opinion, whether you ask for it or not, they're presenting their reasoning as to why they are answering yes or no. Even I can read through someone's opinion and figure out if the answer is yes or no.

Peace and Love, MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Colorado , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
well it is a public forum - the world can see/access this and every other post on here, not just Aluminumskulls . . . perhaps you didn't know that your post would show up on the "portal" screen.

Come on, have you never posted on a forum before? I think when a person is giving their opinion, whether you ask for it or not, they're presenting their reasoning as to why they are answering yes or no. Even I can read through someone's opinion and figure out if the answer is yes or no.

Peace and Love, MarkR
I understand that this post as all posts will show up on the portal. I also expected most people to note where a post was made. People don't post in the stove section offering advice about toilets.

I've posted on forums before and didn't expect people to question my reasoning. If I don't have anything constructive to say I don't say anything and expect others to do the same.
Closed Thread