Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We Are a "Yes"

We're just waiting for the details. We are a "yes" and we are willing to help however you want us to.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
First of all, yes, count me in! For me, knowing the dates of the event "sooner rather than later" is important because of my client scheduled business trips. February and March are busy go-live times in my biz.

As for Ft. DeSoto, it's a fantastic campground! But. . . it can sometimes be very difficult to get in there. Are they willing to hold a block of sites for us? I doubt it since it's a county facility. Also, I was just sharing with Frank & Mike that the rangers there DO make their rounds. I had an unpleasant experience there where we felt we were "profiled" by the ranger. We were in violation of the parked cars rule -- had 3 at our site and the max is 2. It was pretty clear who the couples were at our site. There were other violations of the same rule but it didn't appear any enforcement was made with them. The ranger did check back on a second round to make sure we had complied.

Maybe it was just one bad ranger in the bunch. Maybe I was over sensitive to perceived profiling. But I have to admit the response letter that Derek got back didn't seem overly welcoming. So dare I say it. . . would a different location be better? I think the event would be more enjoyable if we could get a block of sites adjacent/close to each other. I really don't think Ft. DeSoto will offer to do that.

Oscar Scherer state park in the Venice/Osprey area is very nice -- but also a government-run facility so might have a similar problem there with getting a block of sites (or is that really not a big deal???). Camp Mars is in the middle of the state and very much a "campground" while Sawmill is much larger and operates more as a "resort." I've been to both and enjoy each of them for different reasons. I know the owner of Camp Mars and I'm certain he'd be interested in hosting a rally as long as it's not on one of the more popular weekends. I don't know the staff at Sawmill but I suspect they'd try to be accommodating, too.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being "difficult" -- just want to throw out some things to think about. I'll be eager to attend where ever the event is -- sounds like too much fun to pass up!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #17

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
It think you have enough people to have a fun rally! Pm me if you need any help setting it up and I agree that sometimes the park will make the difference between a fun rally and an ok one. I know the rallies I've been to that keeping everyone to get her makes it more fun than being spread apart. I'll be with y'all in spirit!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Ok, after a lot of thought, I've basically decided against Ft Desoto. While a beautiful area, just thinking that trying to get enough sites close to each other, and the fact that it is really difficult for others to reserve site, Ft Desoto is off the list.
While Camp Mars would be nice, I was really trying to stay close to the Tampa Bay area. Same for Sawmill. While the trip may be more for others, I was really hoping to stay within an hours drive for me, especially since I'll be the one hosting.
My brother just started working at a Girl Scout camp as the Ranger. Visited there yesterday, Sunday, Aug 12, but decided that it's a no-go as well. Camp is set up more for day visitors, with those that plan on staying overnight, would be in the on-site cabins. No water hook-ups, or electricity for that matter. Did find where we could empty our tanks though. To be honest, just really no areas for however many Airstreams that may be there.
If there are any suggestions for a private campground, love to hear about your favorite spot?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok, looks as if I'm going to have to 'pass' this on to someone else for the next year or so. Finding all sorts of bits here and there that will prevent me from traveling. New tires are a must ($2200), both A/C's are basically toast, and as of last weekend, alternator has decided that it's time to be replaced. Unless Lotto comes through, I won't be doing much until all of this is repaired or replaced. My apologies to all.
Derek
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Ok, looks as if I'm going to have to 'pass' this on to someone else for the next year or so. Finding all sorts of bits here and there that will prevent me from traveling. New tires are a must ($2200), both A/C's are basically toast, and as of last weekend, alternator has decided that it's time to be replaced. Unless Lotto comes through, I won't be doing much until all of this is repaired or replaced. My apologies to all.
Derek
Sorry for all you're issues. Hopefully the repairs when completed will have you rolling once completed.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Nelson, knew that by buying a 24 yr old coach, I would always have issues, but at the moment, house payment, car payment, and motorhome payment, doesn't leave a lot left over.....seriously considering signing up for the OT list at work, but just don't think my health can take 10 to 12 hour days delivering mail in the FL heat. Only 3 more years, and the 'beast' is paid off, then I can get into some $$$ purchases.
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
Hillgenbergonlocation

1986 32' Excella
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to Hillgenberg

This sounds like a lot of fun for April 2013 would be interested.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am late to this thread. Travelers Rest Resort is within an hour of Tampa and has nice facilities. Will have a lot of open sites in early April. Can get in an area all together. Check the website.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Lets see if we can make this happen -the Texas people are getting ahead of us. We will be there anywhere southeast US with advance notice!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Lilburn , Georgia
Southeast Rally

Travelers Rest website looks great --very full service resort. A friend of ours likes Thousand Palms RV Resort --he reports it is FOD owned but not FOD-centric. Are these resorts in a central location, enough for plenty of folks to get there?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Travelers Rest is about 4 miles off I75 at exit 293. It started as Airstream only. Now probably 30% Airstreams, but with a lot of former Airstream owners that are now in a fixed unit of some sort.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
tampa , Florida
Thanks for all your time and effort you have put into this so far. My partner Lois and I will attend. We are in Tampa so very convenient and close for us.
We also have dogs so will be in the pet area camp sites. Will be looking forward it. Peace, Jill
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Lilburn , Georgia
Seems like we have to start somewhere, so I'll call tomorrow and see about 10 sites at Travelers Rest for April 19-21, 2013. See what happens, and then at the same time see what interest develops. We know the Atlanta, and North Georgia area better --so we can't vouch for the camp ground --but we're willing to go --see how the group works out --then if we find the place is good --great --if we need to try something else in the future --OK too. So we hope whoever has even a vague interest --if you will post, it will help us try to plan!!