Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #321

New Brunswick , New Jersey
Decisions, decisions...

Hello, Friends of Dorothy,

Not sure if this thread is live or not, but as you can see I'm a new forum member. How new? I don't have my Airstream (yet) - but like Lucy, I WANT ONE! Ah, l'amore, l'amore!

I have never trailered before (if that's the correct term), but hauled horses around for years so get the towing part. My spouse and I are restoring a mid-century modern experimental house and I think a little Sport would look sooo perfect in the driveway. Choosing the right one is the daunting part... new or used? 16' or 21'. Dealer or private seller?

The other question that haunts me is - where do I go once I have my Airstream? Traditional campgrounds conjure up images of rampaging kids and blaring bad music. This may be a reach, but I'm ISO pleasing aesthetics and entertaining, charming company. I worry that I'll end up with a lovely little Airstream that hungers to hit the road and then have no place to go.

I'm at a crossroads, should I go check out the Airstream dealership on Monday or test drive a Mustang GT convertible and forget my trailer dream? I live in NJ and Vermont - are there any FoD in the Northeast who would like to show off their Airstream and talk trailer?
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #322
3 Rivet Member

My partner and I live in AR. We are naturist and enjoy traveling to naked campgrounds.
We opted to purchase a new unit rather than used. We simply do not have the time to remodel an older unit. Besides, I like the ultra modern feel of the newer units. We chose the Bambi Sport 16'. It's perfect for our needs. Our tow vehicle pulls the unit flawlessly. Passing trucks on the interstate results in very little sway. It has just enough storage for the two of us. And there is enough room to entertain friends as well. We have never regretted our purchase and are completely satisfied with the unit, the dealership/Airstream and the service. You'll find the forums here VERY informative, educational and entertaining.
We had been tent camping for several years before purchasing our Airstream. My entire family owned RV's when I was a child therefore I had some knowledge of the inner workings of the unit.
Before purchasing the unit I investigated several other brands. But the American icon of Airstream stole my heart as a child and I simply could not shake it. There is a "Newbies Guide" book that you can purchase. I bought it well before we pulled the trigger. It is very educational and helpful. I feel we are fortunate to be an Airstream owner and I hope to share this lifestyle with you in the future.
I should also inform you that I have made a personal goal to get our unit out at least once a month. Success so far...

Bud & Nate
2014 Bambi Sport 16'
"The Mini Bar"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Airlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #323
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Baltimore , Maryland
My husband and I live in Maryland. We purchased our Airstream this past February from Colonial Airstream in NJ. Great dealership BTW, so far, though it takes forever to get an service appointment. We have a water leak coming from under our shower and have had A/C vent covers fall down, 3 so far. We have to wait over 6 weeks for an appointment. Obviously we don't want to use the shower until the leak is corrected.

We have had several trips so far and we love our AS. I am sure you will have no problem finding places to go and visit, from state and federal parks to locally owned rv parks. A Mustang convertible will be around for several years but an AS will last a lifetime if cared for. If you are interested talking Airstream, you are welcome to visit us here in Baltimore, MD.

You'll have more memory makers in the Airstream than the Mustang, and I love convertibles!!

Mike and Adam
mkr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #324

Thanks for the reply...

Good information! Thanks for the reply.

I'm heartened to hear that you liked the dealer where you bought your brand new Sport. NJ has a dealership that bills itself as the largest in the country + they have an orientation video to the Sport on Youtube that was very thorough (there are lots of moving parts in Airstreams!). I think I'll give them a try.

You have a good strategy of taking the your Airstream out at least once a month. BTW, love the name "Mini Bar".
Old 06-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #325
3 Rivet Member

My heart cries for Orlando. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this senseless tragedy. May the LGBT community find strength to comfort each other.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #326
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
2017 23' International
Amersfoort , Utrecht
Send a message via Skype™ to koosdhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy29 View Post
The other question that haunts me is - where do I go once I have my Airstream? Traditional campgrounds conjure up images of rampaging kids and blaring bad music. This may be a reach, but I'm ISO pleasing aesthetics and entertaining, charming company. I worry that I'll end up with a lovely little Airstream that hungers to hit the road and then have no place to go.

Hi Teddy,

There are so many great places to go. I would never worry about that. If you want to go campgrounds - which is a fine way to start - check out www.campendium.com. It is a great resource for finding the best campgrounds. And you can also start following blogs of fellow Airstreamers (and other travelers) to find out about places to go and trips to take. Blogs I follow are "Aluminarium" (they are the folks who have created Campendium), "Wheeling It" and "The Man in the Maze." The latter is the editor of Airstream Life magazine, which is also a great resource.

And if you have a question about a specific area you want to explore, this forum is full of helpful people who will have plenty of advice for you.

Have fun!

Koos
koosdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #327

Good point!

You make a good point (car v. AS)!

Thanks for the feedback about Colonial.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #328
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Congrats and welcome to the gang. I have a leak under the shower too. Please let me know what they tell you that it is. Thanks Dara
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #329
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Teddy,
There are many different gay or gay friendly campgrounds around the country. Most are located in the southeast but they range from very primitative to full hookups with special event weekends. Campgrounds in the south will be open year round where some out west and up north are only open for summer season.

Two of the largest are Sawmill Campground in Brooksville, FL and Campit Resort in Sagutuck, MI. Super friendly folks, restaurant, pool, big campsites, and you can do everything or nothing. All of them get busy around holiday weekends so reservations are recommended. I have visited other campgrounds in GA, NC, and aware of some gay travel groups too. Drop a line if you need info on those as well.

Mike
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #330
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Van Alstyne , Texas
Newbies

Coke and James here. We're from North Texas and this year on our 30th anniversary as partners we celebrated by getting married. (To copy another post we've read - we met when we were 4 years old ). Last month we purchased a new Interstate Grand Tour and plan to take it cross country again and again. We have two "kids" - Daisy, a 14 year old Airedale Terrier and Chase, a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. Our hobbies are playing with cars, travel, swap meets, races and working on our home base. We want to include some visits to racing circuits in our travel including NASCAR, IMSA, F1, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7124.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	276355  
Chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #331
3 Rivet Member

Nice to meet you guys!! Congratulations!!!! If you pass through AR, give me a shout.

The Mini Bar
Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #332
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to Airforums Coke & James. I think you are going to have a blast doing all the stuff you want to do traveling back and forth across the country in a new Interstate.

Safe Travels, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #333

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome and congrats on 30 years together! We hope to see lots of pictures from your trips and if you're near Arkansas in June you should join us for the FOD rally.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #334
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
Welcome
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #335
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Houston , Texas
Just Purchased An AS

Hello everyone,
My name is Rick and I live in Houston, Texas. I just purchased an International Serenity 19 yesterday. I will be picking her up on Friday morning and am planning on heading straight to a central Texas state park for a couple of nights. I am also planning on going to the Rainbow Ranch between Christmas and New Years.

Last January, I lost my husband of 23 years suddenly to heart failure. I have been working through everything this past year and am starting a new chapter in my life.

I love meeting new people and am looking forward to seeing you all on the road.
jrporter7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #336
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Coke and James here. We're from North Texas and this year on our 30th anniversary as partners we celebrated by getting married. (To copy another post we've read - we met when we were 4 years old ). Last month we purchased a new Interstate Grand Tour and plan to take it cross country again and again. We have two "kids" - Daisy, a 14 year old Airedale Terrier and Chase, a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier. Our hobbies are playing with cars, travel, swap meets, races and working on our home base. We want to include some visits to racing circuits in our travel including NASCAR, IMSA, F1, etc.
Hi Coke and James, greetings from central Kentucky and welcome to the Airforums. Congrats on the Interstate purchase and hope you enjoy your travels.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #337
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter7702 View Post
Hello everyone,
My name is Rick and I live in Houston, Texas. I just purchased an International Serenity 19 yesterday. I will be picking her up on Friday morning and am planning on heading straight to a central Texas state park for a couple of nights. I am also planning on going to the Rainbow Ranch between Christmas and New Years.

Last January, I lost my husband of 23 years suddenly to heart failure. I have been working through everything this past year and am starting a new chapter in my life.

I love meeting new people and am looking forward to seeing you all on the road.
Hi Rick, welcome to the Airforums, hello from central Kentucky. Good luck on your shakedown trip to the Texas park. Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope all goes well in the new chapter. Take your time, enjoy life, enjoy each day given to you. If you're looking to meet some nice people, you're in the right spot with the right trailer.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #338
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I've been on this forum for a long time but just got a 23D last month and just found this thread today. So this is my introduction.

I'm Ryan, from Tulsa, OK. Single for a while now and ready to start airstreaming. I'm planning to take my maiden voyage (first trip longer than one night and farther than 60 miles) in February to the Florida panhandle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	276617  
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #339
3 Rivet Member

Welcome Sir!!!

The Mini Bar
Old 12-13-2016, 06:07 AM   #340
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Congrats on your new Airstream. Sounds like you will be coming this way into Florida. Several nice campgrounds here. I just spent a month at Sawmill CG in Dade City. Longer you can stay the better rate you get. Met some great people there who were down for the season from PA/NY/New England areas.

Weekends with the tent/cabin folks around are busy but weekdays are spent with neighbors having coffee/drinks around campfires. Some of the full timers are working at different RV businesses nearby and always helpful if you need assistance.

Mike
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote