Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
No Room at the Inn?

I am wondering if the inspiration for buying a travel trailer was/is based on some nefarious roots, ie, sexual-orientation discrimination when booking accomodation.

For what it's worth, I am a straight woman. And very tolerant. But I live in a valley which is peppered by homophobia. I was dismayed to hear that a local B & B routinely practices some "filtering" when potential guests make their booking. To put it bluntly, gay couples are not welcome. I think this is horrible and frankly, quite stupid. I work with many gay men and most love to travel and have a significant disposable income compared to the typical hetero "young family" living in an area with high housing costs.

Secondly, I have not been privy to a lot of RV parks, but they seem to be
WASP bastions - the typical guests are older, conservative, and straight. How are gay couples received at these parks?

I also asked another woman who is in my shoes, straight and travels alone, how she was received at these parks? She said she is sometimes viewed with "suspicion" as she is a departure from the typical guest described above, but is generally well received.

Anyway, I was just wondering about this.

Thoughts?
Care to share?

Thanks.
FAN
Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I had not thought of it in this way, but when I was single divorced in my 50's I was not received well in some campgrounds. People seem to be suspicious of a single person in a travel trailer, till they get to know them.

And what's wrong with being a WASP? 25% of the population are, and I am too.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We're DINK'S and are discriminated against on a regular basis.

Want to join our club?

We could call it friends of DINK'S.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Want to join our club?

I'm curious about this... in what ways are you regularly discriminated against for being a straight married couple without kids?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Want to join our club?

Lol! But there would be confusion when you call it FOD!

I've never had an issue at any CG. Most people are nice and love the AS! I guess it's how you behave act etc. We love to camp and that's the common denominator, I don't think most people care. Happy camping!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'm curious about this... in what ways are you regularly discriminated against for being a straight married couple without kids?
Ever eat at the "Screaming Baby Restaurant."
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm solo traveler. Mostly stick to myself, not tremendously outgoing. But do take walks around the campground and occasionally strike up a conversation. I frequently sit outside my trailer in nice weather. In spite of myself I've had some very enjoyable conversations over the years, invited to a neighbor's campfire, etc.

Any and all cold shoulders etc. I'd just attribute to the normal "you connect with some people, others you don't."

My observation is public campgrounds have a younger, less rigid crowd than parks catering exclusively to RVs. When I traveled in your area in Canada long ago I remember some beautiful public campgrounds which would accommodate a nice Airstream. What has been your experience in these?

Sorry can't answer your question re: gay couples but would be interested in their input.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Interesting idea. We've had a couple of flustered front-desk attendants when checking into a room with 1 bed. The funniest was in Birmingham, England. It was a very Fawlty Towers-style place, from the outside it looked like a really big house in a nice garden, and was run by a couple who lived there.

She stammered a bit about only having a room with 1 bed, and I confirmed that was exactly what we'd reserved. She turned a funny color and looked back and forth between me and my partner for a few seconds and gave in.

Generally it's happened in more business-oriented hotels that the person working the front desk wants to make sure that there wasn't a mistake, in case we might be coworkers or something I suppose. We've never had anyone deny us a room.

Our interest in the Airstream is more about traveling with the dogs and being able to cook on a trip, and "sleep in our own beds" (even though it's not the same as our bed at home, the "ours" part makes a difference.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We have never incurred any problems.

It's always hard to assess what someone may be thinking (they could be having a bad day with work, they could be dealing with family issues, they could be dealing with health issues, they could be dealing with some financial issues, the list can go on and on and on). It's easier to just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that there is no hidden agenda and move on.

We're all unique and I guess that's what makes for an interesting world, right? I recognize I'll never be liked by everyone just as I don't like everyone.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #10

Olathe , Kansas
Unlike others I do like everyone! Not everybody likes me but we have never had a problem at hotels or CGs. Maybe years ago it was a problem but not now. I think if people just judge on character and nothing else the world would be fine.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I think if people just judge on character and nothing else the world would be fine.
Well said!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
or maybe just stop judging altogether....
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #13

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
or maybe just stop judging altogether....
Not a bad idea! I believe in treating EVERYONE with the respect I would want. I meet a lot of people of all walks of life every week and everyone wants the same thing, respect and kindness. I am always amazed how some people just don't get it? Everyone deserves kindness and respect. Treat everyone in a nice way and they hopefully will return the favor.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
When we started RVing (pre-Airstream) we were a bit concerned about how we'd be "received" in RV parks and campgrounds and the RV culture in general. Turns out, it has never been an issue. We have have nice experiences virtually everywhere we've been, even years later. In fact, we've met some really nice people (gay and straight) in campgrounds and RV parks and no one has been uptight or uneasy with us. I think lots of it has to do with how comfortbale you are with yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin, most people will be comfortable with you. I have heard that some women traveling along have not felt well-received here and there, which I don't get at all. I think it's great when a lady does what she enjoys on her own. Interestingly, we have me a few solo women on the road who are in relationship,s but they prefer to camp and travel alone sometimes. More power to them!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I had not thought of it in this way, but when I was single divorced in my 50's I was not received well in some campgrounds. People seem to be suspicious of a single person in a travel trailer, till they get to know them.

And what's wrong with being a WASP? 25% of the population are, and I am too.
I did not say anything is wrong with being a WASP. Just an observation that the majority of RVers seem to fit that particular demographic.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Want to join our club?

Sure. DINKS in Canada are discriminated against when it comes to the tax laws.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Lol! But there would be confusion when you call it FOD!

I've never had an issue at any CG. Most people are nice and love the AS! I guess it's how you behave act etc. We love to camp and that's the common denominator, I don't think most people care. Happy camping!
Glad to hear you haven't been hassled.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I'm solo traveler. Mostly stick to myself, not tremendously outgoing. But do take walks around the campground and occasionally strike up a conversation. I frequently sit outside my trailer in nice weather. In spite of myself I've had some very enjoyable conversations over the years, invited to a neighbor's campfire, etc.

Any and all cold shoulders etc. I'd just attribute to the normal "you connect with some people, others you don't."

My observation is public campgrounds have a younger, less rigid crowd than parks catering exclusively to RVs. When I traveled in your area in Canada long ago I remember some beautiful public campgrounds which would accommodate a nice Airstream. What has been your experience in these?
I haven't gone camping anywhere yet. And yes, we have some beautiful provincial camp grounds here.

Good comment about folks. We just won't click with some, regardless.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Interesting idea. We've had a couple of flustered front-desk attendants when checking into a room with 1 bed. The funniest was in Birmingham, England. It was a very Fawlty Towers-style place, from the outside it looked like a really big house in a nice garden, and was run by a couple who lived there.

She stammered a bit about only having a room with 1 bed, and I confirmed that was exactly what we'd reserved. She turned a funny color and looked back and forth between me and my partner for a few seconds and gave in.

Generally it's happened in more business-oriented hotels that the person working the front desk wants to make sure that there wasn't a mistake, in case we might be coworkers or something I suppose. We've never had anyone deny us a room.

Our interest in the Airstream is more about traveling with the dogs and being able to cook on a trip, and "sleep in our own beds" (even though it's not the same as our bed at home, the "ours" part makes a difference.)
I like what you said - it's all about the dogs. You and your partner must love animals. Bless you.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
We have never incurred any problems.

It's always hard to assess what someone may be thinking (they could be having a bad day with work, they could be dealing with family issues, they could be dealing with health issues, they could be dealing with some financial issues, the list can go on and on and on). It's easier to just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that there is no hidden agenda and move on.

We're all unique and I guess that's what makes for an interesting world, right? I recognize I'll never be liked by everyone just as I don't like everyone.
Another good comment about putting yourself in another person's shoes. Their reaction may be more about their personal situation vs. you and your partner's.