Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Moving up!

What a bitter sweet day it is… Today I towed our little 21’ Airstream home for the last time so we can unload all of our stuff in preparation for its new owner to pick her up and make her his. While we know this is the right decision for us it still hard to let it go.

My partner and I made a huge mistake when we purchase it last year; we never got into the bed together before buying it! We purchased it from a super nice retired couple who had obviously loved this Airstream for the past 17 years! Out of respect we didn’t want to shock them and climb into the bed together so we just assumed it would be good enough… WRONG! The 48x75 corner bed is just too small for two guys that are both over 6 feet tall. We usually can manage one night together then one of us has to move to the couch, where our two Labradors sleep, so we both have to sleep with a dog for the remainder of the trip.

Not all is lost, I’m already on the hunt for a 25’ Airstream with a real bed. We’re hoping to find something in the 2005 -2008 range. We've been to the dealer to look at new ones a few times, while it is tempting with the close out pricing on 2013’s I just can’t see spending that much money on something we use once a month at best. So for now I will search the pages of RV trader, Craigslist and of course this forums' market place until the right trailer comes along.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Between both of us being beefy boys and my partner being what you'd call an "active sleeper" we have found that in the Airstream, twin beds work for us. There's just no way to get a king-sized in there and be able to move around it. At least we're not tall to complicate things even more.

Best of luck finding a comfortable solution to get you back out on the road!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
We have some friends with a 2008 25FB. One of them is 6'4" and the other is 6'2" and they love there Airstream.

We gave their queen bed a test and agreed it was way more comfy than our little corner unit!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
There were two things we "had" to have when we went looking at Airstreams. (1) no corner bed and (2) the dining booth had to have plenty of "width" room for me. That's the area between the edge of the table and my chest when I'm sitting in the booth. Our current trailer has a bed where the mattress is shoved against 3 sides of the trailer and we said never again. We settled on a Flying Cloud 27FB which looks like it's going to solve both of our problems. Anxiously waiting for Spring 2014 when we take possession.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We love our little Bambi but a bigger bed would be nice. But I'm shorter and Zell is tall but skinny so he gets the outside and I'm on the wall side. It works well and we are pretty comfy back there and since the Bambi is paid for we won't be moving up anytime soon! I just love that little trailer. . Good luck and keep an eye on the classifieds.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Funny story..and something to think about when my wife and I are on our search for a airstream. Luckily we are both short. We did book a weekend at a KOA campground where they rent flying cloud airstreams so we could test a weekend to make sure it is something that will work for us and maybe adjust the size/model we buy. Have you considered renting a unit or staying in a friends to make sure the setup you are considering now would work? Would hate to make the same mistake twice
Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I'm 6'7",my wife is 5'11".

I love her to bits, but no way could we share one of the smaller beds. We had the gaucho remodelled into a full size queen.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Good luck finding the new trailer Cyberous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Between both of us being beefy boys and my partner being what you'd call an "active sleeper" we have found that in the Airstream, twin beds work for us.
Active sleeper. Heheh, I like that…Still on the lookout for my trailer and while I'm committed to the bachelor lifestyle I like twin beds, one for me and one for the dogs I want to take with me.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberous View Post
So for now I will search the pages of RV trader, Craigslist and of course this forums' market place until the right trailer comes along.
Cyberous - I notice you're in Hollister. If you get the trailer of your dreams before the end of February, consider joining the rally at Pinnacles Nat. Park, right in your back yard. We've nearly filled D loop with friendly aluminum for the weekend of the 21-23. Or just stop by and say "Howdy."
Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Cyberous - I notice you're in Hollister. If you get the trailer of your dreams before the end of February, consider joining the rally at Pinnacles Nat. Park, right in your back yard. We've nearly filled D loop with friendly aluminum for the weekend of the 21-23. Or just stop by and say "Howdy."
I saw that... We go to Pinnacles often just to hike. Spring is a great time down there.

You never know, a 2006 25 footer with a front bed just came on the forum toady. Sadly it's in the middle of Texas! I google mapped it, 1700 miles and 24 hours each way. My partners first reaction when I showed him was " "Well if it's still for sale at Christmas" (We have the week off between Christmas and New years)

I guess we could fly out and look at it, if we like it arrange to have it towed to California. I had a customer who moved to Colorado and used some online service where people bid on towing your stuff for you. The guy who showed up to tow it was retired and does it just to offset his own traveling expenses. He told me he bids on hauls that take him along the paths he wants to go and once he is in the area he want to be he stays awhile then gets another job and moves on. Seemed like a win for both of them... Might be a good option for us, who wouldn't want to come out to the Monterey area this time of year?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Have you considered renting a unit or staying in a friends to make sure the setup you are considering now would work? Would hate to make the same mistake twice
Agreed! We did spend one night in their 25FB and really liked it. The bed was HUGE compared to ours!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Well we just just found a relatively local 2006 25FB (75th anniversary issue). It really looks good in the pictures the owners sent us. Unfortunately the place they store it is closed up tight until Monday so we can't see it in person until next week.

I have a good feeling about it though, the couple who currently owns it are FOD ladies! What are the odds?!

Hopefully this time next week we will no longer be Airstream-less and have a real bed!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My front bed 2014 FC 20 bed is no prize for size. With only one in it I wind up sleeping in the same spot all night. If I try to move to the front where the curves are and it just does not work. If the FB 25' has a different size bed, great but my front bed in the 20' would not work for me and anyone else.

Also the person closest to the curved front would have to climb over the other person through the center opening to the bed, due to the intrusion of both the closet and the dinette. Entry is dead center, and only about 28" wide (guessing).

So, heads up and do test it thoroughly.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Conifer , Colorado
My partner and I have a 27' front bedroom with twin beds. We love it!