Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Minnesota Airstream Park

I own a lot at the MN Airstream Park, and would love it if folks came to visit or even purchase a lot in the cooperative. Check out this excellent video (done with voice-over and still photos) by a St Paul Pioneer Press reporter. Very cool!

http://vimeo.com/46029385

David
SMPLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I've visited up there. I like it. What's it cost to buy a site? What are total yearly expenses? How easy are the sites to sell when I'm ready? What's average days on the market? What's sales price to asking price ratio? How many are for sale right now? What's average days on the market for those?

When I visited, there were so many sites for sale that I was told the association was considering opening the park to any brand. Has that situation changed?

Are there any sites I could lease for a couple seasons to try before I buy?

What if I buy a site . . . can I park my SOB there?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Do the trailers still all have to be removed every winter? People could leave their sheds and gazebos over the winter but they had to remove their trailers. That policy didn't make any sense to me. One of the advantages to buying a site (for me) would be having a place to use and store the trailer. I thought the policy was unfriendly?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hi David,

Sometime in the near future, I'm gonna be looking for a reitrement spot. Hopefully one north and one south!

Do you want to take a stab at any of the questions above? I'd be interested in the answers.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Okay . . . I found the web page.

Minnesota Airstream Park

Looks like there are 20 lots advertized for sale right now.

For Sale

The sites look nice.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
There's one for sale in the Classifieds here. I don't know if it is one of the ones in their own site.

They certainly have a wide range in price!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Not sure why this is in the FOD forum. ::shrug::

I visited the park last summer. It's a great place for Airstreamers to visit, and they really do welcome visitors provided that they are traveling in an Airstream.

The park is a cooperative and makes decisions through some sort of voting process. When I was there they had just reaffirmed their decision to remain an Airstream-only park.

I believe that typical site purchase prices are around $10,000 plus the value of the improvements on the site. While there are quite a number of sites for sale, most of them are essentially bare sites, with nothing more than perhaps an inexpensive prefab storage shed or screen room.

The two attractions of this particular park, compared to the many other seasonal sites around Minnesota, are the relative absence of, how shall we say, entry-level RVs, and the opportunity to construct freestanding buildings to augment the space in the trailer. Many if not most of the sites have at least a large screened-in gazebo with quite a few having three-season structures of similar size and shape but with windows instead of screens.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Here is another link to the clip:
http://photos.twincities.com/2012/07/24/video-own-an-airstream-bring-it-here/

To answer the questions about trailer removal, yes - trailers must be removed between Nov 1 and March 31. This is due to conditions placed on the park by Sherburne County 40 years ago when the park was founded. Most people store their units at a nearby farm for $15 per month in the winter, but this area has many options for storage. The rest of your personal property is allowed to stay, only the trailer has to be removed.
Cost of lots varies based on what the lot has to offer, but lots start around $4,000 and go up to about $17,000. I don't really know what the average days on the market might be, since they aren't generally listed with realtors or MLS, just on the website. I do know that a nice lot on strip F was just listed about 2 weeks ago and has already sold. Other lots linger for a long time on the list depending on the value proposition.

The annual dues total $1175. That includes water, sewer, garbage, taxes, maintenance to the common area, pool, golf course, etc. The only bill you'll get in addition to that is the electric use at your own lot, this is billed twice yearly by the association. Other brands aren't allowed in the park, but there is an area that we refer to as "The Cedars" where guests of shareholders can camp with their other brands. About 8 years ago the association did consider opening up the park to other brands, but the proposal was soundly defeated by shareholders (over 80% said "no"), since that time the sales list went down to about 6 or 7 for sale, but last summer and this spring it has grown to 20. One just sold, so now 19...but thats a little deceiving because there are two separate owners at the park who each own two lots...both have listed both lots for sale, and will sell whichever lot goes first and retain the other, meaning thatof the 19 listed, only 17 will actually be sold...
Anyway, I've been there 8 years and really like it, its really a good group.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
I should add that while there aren't seasonal leases available, there are sites available for rental for as long as you want. The rates are posted on the website, www.airstreampark.com
Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I write this from the Minnesota Airstream Park. I rented a site here. It is the prettiest spot we have been in since we started Airstreaming. The oaks and gardens are beautiful. There is so much forested space around. The layout with its "wagon wheels" offers lovely views and privacy. The grounds are beautifully trimmed and neat. And there must be over 90 Airstreams here of all vintages and models. The folks we have met so far are very nice.

It would be a great place to spend summer in the cool and shade of Minnesota.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I realize that this thread is over six years old, but there is no more recent relevant thread to respond to.

My wife and I just bought a lot at the Minnesota Airstream Park (the weekend before they shut off the water - rolleyes).

We spent last weekend there and really enjoyed ourselves among a group of very friendly people. It is a mere 65 miles from home and we need a place to park it in the summer anyway (since we live in Minneapolis).

There are 125 lots there available for Airstreams only. At this point in time there were only 6 lots for sale. One we just bought, one isn't really for sale it turns out, so just 4 remaining. It looks like things are going well there in terms of membership.

We're new to Airstreaming and looking forward to learning from the old pro's there and in making some new friends.
Gopher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Gopher John: You did good! We really enjoyed the Minnesota Airstream Park. Here is a photo of our trailer there for a couple of nights. I loved seeing all the Airstreams, I loved the "oak tree savanna", and I enjoyed meeting fellow Airstreamers. It's like being on a rally. The spot we rented didn't have the gazebo.

I hope you like it as well as we did.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122_2236 (Small).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	324115  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote