Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Jersey shore Haven

Does anyone know if Jersey Shore Haven discriminate against same sex couples? My partner and I visited this site 2 months ago, toured the grounds and met with the Vice President of Shares. I explained that I was planning on purchasing an Airstream in the next month and asked for information on the cost to become a shareholder. The VP looked in the back seat of her car for the rate sheet but said she did not have anymore copies. She assured me that she would mail me a copy the coming week. She looked at my partner and I and was very distant. I called last week to follow-up and left a voice mail message. Today I received a letter in the mail "thanking me for my interest in their facility and that when I purchased a trailer and became a member of Wally's Caravan Society to contact them if I was still interested. During my visit, nothing was mentioned in person to us that we had to own a trailer in order to obtain rate information. Also, i was very explicit that my intent was to purchase an Airstream to put on their grounds because of the lication. My partner is African American. Needless to say, Jersey Shore Haven is an unfriendly place
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I can't say for sure, but when we visited last Summer with our small Scotty in tow, we were greeted in the office and given the details as well as a price sheet. In the office it was just me. My wife and daughter were in the car.

I was clear that our Airstream was a few years away from usability and that we were not entirely interested in a seasonal site. We just hoped to come down for extended stays at the shore.

We were encouraged to drive around the place and see what we thought. We drove back through the "permanent" sites and checked out the Airstreams stored there.

I did not get a cold, unfriendly feeling.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I'm sorry to hear you got treated so poorly. I know in this world there is still bigots, and there is incompetent sales staff. Many times, incompetent bigoted sales staff.

I feel the AS community is a very open minded group, please don't let this discourage you. You are welcome!

Hope to see you on the Road! Go vintage!!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well currently their host is part of a same sex couple, so I don't think that's the problem. A couple of the board members get a bit too full of themselves at times and possibly have a hard time understanding and/or following through on things they don't care about. The website does have rate info. I think the price of a share is $5400 or $5600 currently, but shares are not always available for sale. Also WBCCI membership is required to own a share and owning an Airstream is required for WBCCI membership. It is a volunteer park, though I didn't know that someone had the title Vice President of Shares.

Jersey Shorehaven Airstream Park
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #5

1978 31' Sovereign
Newark , Delaware
Hi MichaelJ - Not sure if you'll end up coming back to this thread, but just wanted to post a reply. We have been going to Jersey Shore Haven for literally, as long as I can remember. One of the reason we keep coming back is the friendliness of the community. Our camp is open to all and we definitely welcome any and all new friends. I can assure you, any ill-will that you felt was certainly not intentional. Would love for you to still consider visiting again, and give us a 2nd chance to get to know you both. Any questions, feel free to message me directly.
Betsy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I can say that when my partner and I stopped by there some time ago and expressed interest in a lot they neither made us welcome or uncomfortable in regards to our family - but rather as clients who had to either buy or leave.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Jackson , New Jersey
I had no idea this place existed (likely b/c I never had a AS before). I will have to check them out at some point !

Ordered: 2024 FC 27FBT
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote

« Airstream Addicts | Top | - »