Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #21

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
From wikipedia

Friend of Dorothy

Judy Garland in her iconic role as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz is one of two likely origins for the phrase "friend of Dorothy" referring to a gay man or LGBT person.
In gay slang, a "friend of Dorothy" (occasionally abbreviated FOD) is a term for a gay man.[1] The phrase dates back to at least World War II, when homosexual acts were illegal in the United States. Stating that, or asking if, someone was a "friend of Dorothy" was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without others knowing its meaning. The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories.[2] A similar term "friend of Mrs King" (i.e. Queen) was used in England, mostly in the first half of the 20th century.[3]

Most commonly it is stated that "friend of Dorothy" refers to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is a gay icon. In the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different. For example the "gentle lion" living a lie, "I'm afraid there's no denyin', I'm just a dandy lion."[4][5]

Others claim that the phrase refers to celebrated humorist and critic Dorothy Parker, who included some gay men in her famous social circle.

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.[6]

I guess we learn something every day.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Another FOD here. Salt Lake City, Utah. 2006 16' Quiksilver I've had for two years now, and I love it!

Stan
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #23

Olathe , Kansas
Cool trailer! I love that one! Great state for camping as well.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
How fun, very happy to stumble across this thread!!! My partner and I love Airstreams, we also live in Salt Lake City, UT. Thanks for posting the explanation on FOD!! I had to explain to my partner what that meant The folks on this forum are truly amazing and have been so helpful. I visit this site at least once a day, it has replaced my coffee addiction!!!
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Brad & Zell,

Thanks for posting the origins of the name!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Count us in!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
Yes, we are everywhere... As mentioned, this is a great site, with many helpful people.

Enjoy your Airstream, and safe travels.

Perry and Clay
ClayandPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #28

Olathe , Kansas
This thread really took off! I agree this is a great forum and the best group of people.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

maybe wr're friends of toto, the lesbian icon. no, anyway brothers we love the as,love the forums and it is true a club is only as good as the people in it and we have met a golden group in the 4 corners unit and gold in the forums. camp on gaystreamers from hot hot hot az.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #30

Olathe , Kansas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls View Post
maybe wr're friends of toto, the lesbian icon. no, anyway brothers we love the as,love the forums and it is true a club is only as good as the people in it and we have met a golden group in the 4 corners unit and gold in the forums. camp on gaystreamers from hot hot hot az.
You crack me up! Go Toto! We've chatted before I think, my Mother is a member of RVW and has lots of great friends in that group. After my Dad died I thought she would pack it in but she found RVW and she's still going strong. It's a great group and I'm thankful she found it. Stay cool in AZ.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
I visit this site at least once a day, it has replaced my coffee addiction!!!
Acckkk!! You gave up coffee?? This will never do. Try both at the same time Coffee and AIR are an excellent combo.

Silver Joe's Blog - Entries in Store Openings

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #32

Olathe , Kansas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Acckkk!! You gave up coffee?? This will never do. Try both at the same time Coffee and AIR are an excellent combo.

Silver Joe's Blog - Entries in Store Openings
Great looking store! I bet you do a great business. I'll have to try your coffee.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Any other FODs out there. Airstreams are so stylish I would think it's a no brainer! Me and my other half just bought a 19' CCD Bambi and wondering why we were the only ones on here? There is a singles section so let's hear from the other FODS!
You guys should plan should plan on joining the WBCCI (if you're not already members) and go to the Four Corners Unit rally at Dead Horse Ranch SP in Arizona in February. There will be several Dorothy's friends and many friends of friends there. It's a blast!

You can contact AZflycaster here on the forum. He and his wife are the hosting couple and they plan an amazing event!!!

We will be there. It's the third year in a row for us.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #34

Savannah , Georgia
Maybe a little off topic. But has anybody seen this book?

"...Buck and Ron Live together in a 1968 Airstream Sovereign, and have spent their entire lives together.
They grew up in Butte, Montana, where they worked in the copper mines together. They served in the Vietnam War together, and now live as Airstream Cowboys together.
This series of work is suppose to serve as a preservation of a very delicate and loving relationship between two men."

Airstream Cowboys | By Gabriel Thompson | Category: Fine Art Photography | Blurb
yipiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
Canada

If you ever venture to Canada, my partner and I own an Airstream and a campground in Prince Edward Island, Canada
www.baysidervcampground.com
We will also be at the rally in P-Town in October.
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Love when I learn something new completely out of the blue (or should I say silver?) Had never heard of FOD.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
More FOD's down south! We're down here in hurricane country (coastal AL). Just purchased a 1990 Excella 25'. My partner and I are converting the rear twins to a double or queen size... not sure yet. We're taking the A/S on its maiden voyage (for us). We had fun in the 07 Fleetwood Avalon, but decided if we're going to tow all that weight, it might as well have some style to it, too!
voxmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #38

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmaestro View Post
More FOD's down south! We're down here in hurricane country (coastal AL). Just purchased a 1990 Excella 25'. My partner and I are converting the rear twins to a double or queen size... not sure yet. We're taking the A/S on its maiden voyage (for us). We had fun in the 07 Fleetwood Avalon, but decided if we're going to tow all that weight, it might as well have some style to it, too!
Congrats! Post dome pics when you can. Have fun on your maiden voyage!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

love all the response to this thread. gaystreamers have great energy. enjoying the airstream does adjust all out attitudes positively. where are all the women folk?
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Checking in from AZ, glad to see some of our 4CU brothers and sisters have checked in here. Hey to Jim & Rod and Dsrtgrls! One of the great things about this forum, our unit and I think Airstreamers in general is that all are welcome and accepted for the great folks they are. My partner and I host a great 4CU rally here in AZ to ring in the New Year. Great folks, plenty of fun and awesome winter weather here in the Sonoran Desert. As Jim Stated above, our Deadhorse rally is a blast as well, it is held over the President's day weekend in Cottonwood AZ.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote