Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
For all of the FOD'rs

Since I'm on Facebook more often than the Forum, I made quite a few Airstream friends on FB. Granted, most are non-gays (lol), but from what I've been able to see, most don't care that I'm gay.

In fact, a fellow Airstream Facebook friend stood up for Gay Airstream'rs today, and shared what happened. Made me smile! As well, too good not to share.

"I hate gay bashing, even though I'm straight, what's the point? Had to vent to my closest gay friend! Met a guy today who said would never buy an Airstream due to the number of gays owning them! I said fine... Live in the fiberglass world of biggots! Argh!"

Of course, I made certain to thank this individual. He's on the Forum as well. Nice to know that some folk don't mind showing a bigot the door....

Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
If that's the guy's reason for not buying an Airstream then good riddance to bad rubbish. Of course, his knowledge of the percentage of FOD in the general population is woefully inadequate. Odds are there will be an equal percentage in the world of fiberglass. It's just that the FOD community appreciates the design elements of the Airstream line, both new and vintage, and eschew the blandness of the fiberglass "squares." Let him relish his time in LA LA land up to the point he realizes that we're everywhere and in any variety of RV. Nice to see your FB friend smash him for his ignorance and bigotry.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WildmanInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Good for your FB friend.
I would have told the idiot that he should go look in his own family closet. And that "methinks he doth protest too much".
And what the heck does being gay have to do with owning an AS? Yeah, they are stylin' and iconic, and intelligent people tend to be drawn to them because they can appreciate that.
Talk about wild generalizations. I'll bet he has some pretty narrow views about a lot of groups.
Preserve us from the narrow-minded.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
OMG, I had no idea! You guys have infiltrated nearly every aspect of normal life.

No I'm not gay. However, I don't care if you are. You have the right to live your life as you see fit, even if you are weird.

OK, I'm not a bigot. I have gay and lesbian friends, and they like me, in spite of the good hearted razzing I give them. Truth is, I find something in everybody to kid them about. That's what I do. That's who I am.

But, my kidding is never meant to be hurtful. It's all in fun. I can dish it out and I can take it, too. I like everybody, well, except maybe Democrats.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I wish people would stop using acronyms without explaining them for those of us who have never heard it.

What is a FOD?
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I wish people would stop using acronyms without explaining them for those of us who have never heard it.

What is a FOD?
I think it stands for "Friends of Dorothy".
Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Look it up. FODs are a welcome group on the forums. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
For all of the FOD'rs

... And tangenting deeper on FoD, generally speaking, if you're younger than 60 or grew up gay on the west coast, Dorothy is Dorothy Gale of Kansas, aka Wizard of Oz. If you're over 60 or grew up on the east coast, likely Dorothy Parker of 1920s/NewYorker magazine fame (and whom the Rosalind Russell version of Antie Mame is reportedly based on) is who you refer to.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I always assumed it was Dorothy Eslinger, our neighbor when I was a kid. Everybody loved her. She was awesome!

-Red, confused about so much...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
The person obviously has serious personal issues that run much deeper than his choice of RV. But......SERIOUSLY......someone actually said that? Oh well, be grateful that you dont live inside that head and heart, i am pretty sure its not a very happy place to be.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
The person obviously has serious personal issues that run much deeper than his choice of RV. But......SERIOUSLY......someone actually said that? Oh well, be grateful that you dont live inside that head and heart, i am pretty sure its not a very happy place to be.
Mmmm, dark in here!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hehehe...here too
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote