Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Dallas Area Camping weekend of 9-21 i

Hello Friend of Dorthy Airstreamers!!!

Charles and Ben here. We are going to get on line this week and book a camp site at Ray Roberts, Cleburn State Park or some camp ground not too fare from Dallas. We may even go to Rainbow Ranch. It is our intent to leave after work on Friday the 21st and get to a local camp ground under two hours. We will be staying until Sunday. Anyone out there want to go camping?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Not so far out of the way...actually less than an hour from Ray Roberts. Its a great park, with trees and water...full facilities and many things in the area to see. So far weather looks good.

ARBUCKLE MOUNTAIN 13th ANNUAL BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL

The 13th Annual Bluegrass Festival will be held at Arbuckle Mountain Bluegrass Park, Sept. 16-22, 2012. Arbuckle Mountain Bluegrass Park is located ON I-35, Exit 60 (Ruppe Rd). Follow the signs about 1 miles east to the park.

The featured stage shows will begin on Thursday, Sept. 20th with Opening Ceremonies beginning at 12:15 pm. The park has grown each year and people are amazed at the family, friendly atmosphere.

We have many things planned for the Early Bird Events. The complete schedule can be found on our website. Early Bird Events will start on Sunday the 16th with a Devotional Service at 10 am. We offer musical instrument workshops on Mon. - Wed. at 2 pm. Bring your lawn chair and join in the fun of good music and getting to know the wonderful world of bluegrass music.

The early bird events will include coffee with the area chambers, tours, makeovers, golf cart parade, campground garage sale and the annual Arbuckle Mt. Bluegrass Queen Contest.

Featured bands begin starting Thurs. at 12:30 pm. Featured bands are Bill Grant, Mark Phillips & IIIrd Generation, Saltgrass, Whitehouse Harmony, Triple L Bluegrass, Welch Mountain Boys, Graystone Bluegrass, Blocker/Stephens Bluegrass, Grandpa’s Neighbors, Pecos Valley, & Flint Hill Ramblers. Schedules & Bands are subject to change without notice. The complete schedule is on our website. Arbuckle Mt. Bluegrass Park

Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by locke View Post

Charles and Ben here. We are going to get on line this week and book a camp site at Ray Roberts, Cleburn State Park or some camp ground not too fare from Dallas. We may even go to Rainbow Ranch. It is our intent to leave after work on Friday the 21st and get to a local camp ground under two hours. We will be staying until Sunday. Anyone out there want to go camping?
I have a meeting in Garland Thursday morning so we're camping somewhere in the Garland area Wednesday night. Then Thursday around noon (after the meeting is over) we're heading back in the direction of Austin and going to camp Thursday through Sunday noon at either Dinosaur Valley State Park or Cleburne State Park. We thought about going to Rainbow Ranch but it's Womyn's Fest that weekend.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
There's a Corps of Engineers campground at Lake Lavon which is probably the closest campground to Garland. It has gotten mixed reviews because of the upkeep and quality of the restrooms, but if you guys are looking for something close to Garland and are self-contained, it might be the best choice. Texas 78 runs right by the road to the Park and into Downtown Garland as well as intersecting with the President George Bush Turnpike.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
There's a Corps of Engineers campground at Lake Lavon which is probably the closest campground to Garland. It has gotten mixed reviews because of the upkeep and quality of the restrooms, but if you guys are looking for something close to Garland and are self-contained, it might be the best choice. Texas 78 runs right by the road to the Park and into Downtown Garland as well as intersecting with the President George Bush Turnpike.
Thanks for the information. I almost reserved a site there for Wednesday night, but then I recall at other COE campgrounds that they close the gates around 10 PM. I'm not sure we'll arrive from Austin in time to get in before gate closure. I was surprised that I can't find any campgrounds on that side of the metroplex with decent reviews. So the only thing I can come up with is some place called the Plantation (not very good reviews on RV Park Reviews). I haven't made reservations yet. Any feedback on the Plantation?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:

I was checking the State Park site tonight. Dinosaur Valley State Park is booked. Cleburne State Park only has 10 sites remaining for reservation. We booked a site at Cleburne State Park. Maybe we'll see you there if you go there.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I was checking the State Park site tonight. Dinosaur Valley State Park is booked. Cleburne State Park only has 10 sites remaining for reservation. We booked a site at Cleburne State Park. Maybe we'll see you there if you go there.
There really isn't much in the way of campgrounds within close proximation to the northeast side of the Metroplex.

The one in Sunnyvale, the Plantation I don't really know anything about. About 15 miles further east in Terrell there is a campground called Bluebonnet Ridge that Weaselmouth stayed at for a few months while they were full timing before heading north to Aubrey and then on to Seattle.

They really liked Bluebonnet Ridge and he worked in Mesquite which is just south of Garland. So you could take 20 in and then north into Garland probably would take about 45 minutes to an hour. That's why I thought of Lake Lavon, but didnt think about it closing at 10. Sorry can't be of much more help, we usually camp at Cooper Lake State park but its 75 miles east which might be a bit of a drive for a meeting in Garland.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Frank and Mike,

I went ahead today and booked Cleburn State Park for Ben and I. We will arrive Friday night. We will be in Poplar Point. Our Airstream is a baby 23ft. My truck is a silver Lincoln. Hope to meet you.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Frank and Mike,

I went ahead today and booked Cleburn State Park for Ben and I. We will arrive Friday night. We will be in Poplar Point. Our Airstream is a baby 23ft. My truck is a silver Lincoln. Hope to meet you.

Hey Charles and Ben. We arrive Thursday afternoon. We also will be in Poplar Point so we will watch for you to arrive Friday evening (we will give you time to set up before we come introduce ourselves). We'll be in the Ford F250 (gold/black) with the 25 ft. Airstream. We're looking forward to meeting more new Airstream friends! Glad you posted your camping thread.