Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Friends of Dorothy
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Any Canadian Friends of Dorothy

Hi there, just found the friends of Dorothy posts on here. I'm located in eastern Ontario, Canada. Any Canadian Friends of Dorothy on here? It would be nice to meet and chat with with some gay Airstreamers... on either side of the border.
ditto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! We are pretty far south of you but I know there are a few FODs up north.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
In Saskatchewan

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums. Randy and I are out in Saskatchewan for the summers and in Arizona for the winters. If you are ever around either spot look us up.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
To me, an Airstreamer is an Airstreamer; not a religion, gender, or sexual orientation; it is a way of life, or recreation.

I just kinda wonder what kind of reaction would I get if I posted; "Hey, are there any straight Airstreamers out there, or any coloured Airstreamers out there?

Don't get me wrong, having a Friends of Dorothy thread is just fine with me, but I wonder who is on the wrong side of discrimination these days.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
To me, an Airstreamer is an Airstreamer; not a religion, gender, or sexual orientation; it is a way of life, or recreation.

I just kinda wonder what kind of reaction would I get if I posted; "Hey, are there any straight Airstreamers out there, or any coloured Airstreamers out there?

Don't get me wrong, having a Friends of Dorothy thread is just fine with me, but I wonder who is on the wrong side of discrimination these days.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Actually, we've never had an event that didn't welcome everyone, and from the very first FoD rally in Eureka Springs we had mixed crowd... several years seemed like around 50/50 and a great time was had by all.

Do you wonder about discrimination if people have a rally focused on HAM radio that invites non-operators to attend? A Dutch-oven or BBQ rally? It's a shared interest/experience. I wouldn't attend an FoD rally that wasn't open to all, because I think it would be weird... but I don't think anyone I've met at the 6 I HAVE attended would ever think to hold such a rally anyway.

For the most part, my experience with the Airstream family has been what you describe. Airstreamers are Airstreamers. I'm sure there are a few people out there who'd like to know in advance that a particular rally was going to have a bunch of same-sex couples so they could choose to do something else that weekend, and that's fine too.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Well said
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just making it clear; I'm not taking a wiz in anyone's Cornflakes.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Tony,

It's not about discrimination. It IS about a group of people who sometimes - not all the time, but sometimes – just want to be around people who are like them. Especially in this older, more conservative group of people known as Airstreamers, we don't always feel completely at ease. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's how it is.

My husband and I go to rallies and camp with straight people all the time. Every once in a while (less often as time goes by) we've gotten the sidewise look when people realize we're a couple. Sometimes people clearly would rather not hang out with us. We're used to it. But sometimes we just don't want to deal with it. Sometimes we just want to be with people to whom we have to explain nothing; we just want to be able to hold each other's hands without thinking about what the others will think, or worse, say; we just want to be ourselves.

As a heterosexual Airstreamer, you never have to think about what others will think of you. Because you're not a member of a group often treated badly, I don't expect you to understand the world in which gay people live. But at least accept that maybe our desire to be with people like ourselves is not a bad thing, and respect our wishes.

Maybe if the whole thing makes you uncomfortable, just don't read the Friends of Dorothy threads that once in a blue moon appear on the portal?

Regardless, we would love to have you join us at a gay campground or a Friends of Dorothy rally.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
Tony,

It's not about discrimination. It IS about a group of people who sometimes - not all the time, but sometimes – just want to be around people who are like them. Especially in this older, more conservative group of people known as Airstreamers, we don't always feel completely at ease. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's how it is.

My husband and I go to rallies and camp with straight people all the time. Every once in a while (less often as time goes by) we've gotten the sidewise look when people realize we're a couple. Sometimes people clearly would rather not hang out with us. We're used to it. But sometimes we just don't want to deal with it. Sometimes we just want to be with people to whom we have to explain nothing; we just want to be able to hold each other's hands without thinking about what the others will think, or worse, say; we just want to be ourselves.

As a heterosexual Airstreamer, you never have to think about what others will think of you. Because you're not a member of a group often treated badly, I don't expect you to understand the world in which gay people live. But at least accept that maybe our desire to be with people like ourselves is not a bad thing, and respect our wishes.

Maybe if the whole thing makes you uncomfortable, just don't read the Friends of Dorothy threads that once in a blue moon appear on the portal?

Regardless, we would love to have you join us at a gay campground or a Friends of Dorothy rally.

Jim
The irony in your statement, is that in this day and age, a gay man is more likely to face violence and possible death from another gay man, than a straight man. Just recently a gay man in Toronto was accused of cutting up eight gay men, (with the police suspecting a lot more), and planting their remains in flower pots. Jeffery Dalmer was gay; the list goes on.

I am not trolling Friends of Dorothy, it just caught my eye in Portal and I just thought it to be, not inappropriate, as I do understand the context of the request, but in this day and age, maybe insensitive would be a better word.

Like I stated earlier, Airstreaming shouldn't be about religion, politics (God help me if I suggested an Airstream Trump rally ). or sexual orientation.

However, I do understand the context of the initial request wasn't made with malice or innuendo, it was genuine and earnest. I wish them all the best with Airstreaming and should we meet up one day, please don't hesitate to come over and shake my hand, one Airstreamer to another.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 05-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Tony yes you are. Maybe not a full out whiz but just a little tinkle. If you have to defend what you say chances are you might not have said it in the first place.

And you know I'm not the only one thinking it.

Like me now, "just saying".

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Tony if I were you I would quit while you're not ahead but before you eat the whole shoe. Airstream Jim explained it very well.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Quote:
The irony in your statement, is that in this day and age, a gay man is more likely to face violence and possible death from another gay man, than a straight man. Just recently a gay man in Toronto was accused of cutting up eight gay men, (with the police suspecting a lot more), and planting their remains in flower pots. Jeffery Dalmer was gay; the list goes on.
Just to give the dead horse another kick...

I would love to live in the world where that was actually true. Recent Toronto killings, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc. notwithstanding, gay people are far more likely to suffer violence at the hands of intolerant, hateful straight people, than they are at the hands of psycho gay people.

You point out those killings because that's what you see on the news. What you don't see on the news are the everyday incidents of homophobia that continue to plague our community, in spite of the incredible gains we have made in North America (and as usual, Canada seems to be farther along than the US). That's the real world we live in.

And it's not about violence anyway. It's about a sense of comfort. It's not about worrying who's going to kill us, it's about feeling at ease being ourselves. Your whole argument about gay psycho killers is an extreme that has nothing to do with this subject.

I agree with Hittenstiehl...you were indeed looking to rain on the parade a bit. But it's ok...we're used to that. That's the exact reason why sometimes--SOMETIMES--we just want to be with people who aren't looking to rain on our parade. Not always, but sometimes.

Jim
Old 05-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Discrimination takes many forms....try being a Republican, member of the NRA, conservative, Vietnam Veteran, and a practicing Computer Security dude in California. Talk about getting “sideways looks” during normal conversations. Then add a snarky sense of humor, and you know why I have ‘issues’ at times.

That said, note also that my dear brother, who is a “friend of Dorothy” since forever, gets even more “crap” about his attitudes. Sad and stupid—we are both decent people, and I am an Airstreamer...let’s talk Ham Radio, computers, whatever. We’re all human, and need to keep that on mind in our interactions with others. Be nice to one another...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think I understand what this is all about ....... But who is Dorothy?

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingeezer View Post
i think i understand what this is all about ....... But who is dorothy?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	312314
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I think I understand what this is all about ....... But who is Dorothy?
Friend of Dorothy is OLD SCHOOL slang for "gay" from before it was at all acceptable to be gay. As Nelson said, it's about Dorothy from Wizard of Oz, because it was something of a stereotype to be into Judy Garland apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just chuckling here, but my wife named the new2me 1975 Argosy 24' motorhome I just bought in Ohio.......Gale.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
wow

Wow... All I wanted to do was chat with some nice gay folks who also have Airstreams Suddenly I'm accused discriminatory bias (intentional or unintentional) and being insensitive. This was my very first post. What an unpleasant introduction to this website.

By the way, thank you so much for your support, Airstream Jim. You are an intelligent, articulate, and kind man.
ditto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto2 View Post
By the way, thank you so much for your support, Airstream Jim. You are an intelligent, articulate, and kind man.
Eh...better some days than others...but thanks for the kind words.

If you get down south of the border into New York (or Florida after October), give us a shout ahead of time and we'll see about meeting up.

Jim
Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
For much of our history, the theme of the USA has been the “melting pot” concept where we all eventually blend into something called “Americans.” I am of the generation that rebelled against the sameness of the melting pot, among other things. What came out of that is a new theme, “multiculturalism.” While multiculturalism is still fairly new, in the scheme of things, I think I like it better than the melting pot. It doesn't really matter what I like; we didn't get to vote on this. Multiculturalism is just a description of how things are now compared with the way they were. I view friends of Dorothy as a facet of multiculturalism. Multiculturalism implies that different cultures will interact peacefully, maybe even joyfully, and share their values with each other. It also means that each culture can maintain its own core values and identity without having to feel guilty about it. Since my retirement, I have been learning Spanish and exploring the Latino culture. I have felt welcome there, although I will never be a Latino, and have no desire to give up my Anglo Saxon heritage. I wouldn't learn much about the Latino culture in a group that was composed of 50% Anglos and 50% Latinos. No, it has to be a group that is mostly Latinos and not many Anglos. So people have to feel free to associate with like minded people. And hopefully, they will welcome pilgrims like me who want to find out more about them. We owe so much to the Friends of Dorothy, for the valuable contributions they have made to our society, but for which they have received no recognition. It's time they started receiving some.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote