Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Central Texas FOD Winter Rally and BBQ Tour

Hello my FOD (and Friends of FOD) Friends,

Who's interested in a rally in February? In Central Texas, our chances of great weather are about 50/50. And if the weather is bad? Who cares? We'll be in the BBQ Capital of Texas!

Here is the plan.

Date:
The weekend of February 23, 2013. Becky and I will plan to arrive Thursday a.m. and leave Sunday.

Campground:
Leisure Resort in Fentress, TX. See more about it here Leisure Resort Campground & Rv Park, San Marcos River Camping, Fentress, TX 78622
See more about it here:
http://www.leisurecamp.net/

Other than being a great spot to hang with your FODs, location wise, it's pretty great too. It's 10 minutes from Lockhart, 10 minutes from Luling (in case BBQ in one town isn't enough), 5 minutes from a winery http://threedudeswinery.com/ (which based on the name, I don't have high expectations of, but hey, it's a winery!) and 5 minutes from a place to go skydiving http://www.skydivesanmarcos.com/

I called today and blocked 20 sites along the river. If there is anyone that would like to join but aren't able to bring their AS, there are plenty of cabins. The manager will call me in the next couple of days with the rates. Non-rally rates for the sites I've reserved are 41.00 per night, so if nothing else, it won't be more than that.

If you'd like to reserve a spot, simply call Leisure Resort at 512-213-0112 and tell them that you're with the Airstream group. I'll keep an updated list of folks that have reserved spaces here https://docs.google.com/a/mercurymam...3NGVzVnc#gid=0

----
Thanks!
Lynn[/QUOTE]
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Count us in!

I want to point out near the top of the thread that we're talking about President's Day weekend, right? Friday 15 Feb through Monday 18 Feb...

Count us in for at least one... this far out we can't be sure about Dr. Fernandez' schedule since residents don't get that much control over their schedule, but it's not a long haul so he's a "maybe."

I decided Kreuz Market was my favorite when I was living in Austin in the '90s, so I'm both looking forward to going back there and to trying the other ones to see if my decision still holds!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I don't know, this one sounds kinda fun! Even though I'm a vegetarian I think the "tour" would be a hoot! Count us as a maybe for this one.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Brad, you should come! Even the BBQ places have cole slaw, potato salad, etc. that should be fine. I suspect that their beans are cooked with meat so that might not be the option for you that is usually would, though.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I eat at Jack Stack BBQ and can find something to eat and Zell loves good BBQ! We might just need a break from the cold.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Now I'm confused. Which is it going to? The real President's Day weekend (16-17-18 Feb) or the following weekend?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I figured I'd leave it the weekend of the 23rd. The closer to March, the higher the chance of an amazing weekend, weather wise.

That said, I'm open to changing it if that works best for people's schedules.

For those of you coming from afar, you should consider staying a little longer and spending a couple of days in Austin at McKinney Falls State Park. I'd love to show some folks around The ATX!

Lynn
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Last weekend Becky and I took a drive to check out campgrounds for the BBQ Tour weekend.

We weren't crazy about Pecan Park in San Marcos for a winter destination. The State park in Lockhart was nice, but tiny with 17 sites in total (and not all of them available).the Park Ranger recommended that we head over to Fentress and check out Leisure Resort, which we did and we loved it! See more about it here Leisure Resort Campground & Rv Park, San Marcos River Camping, Fentress, TX 78622

Other than being a great spot to hang with your FODs, location wise, it's pretty great too. It's 10 minutes from Lockhart, 10 minutes from Luling (in case BBQ in one town isn't enough), 5 minutes from a winery Winery San Marcos Texas River Wine Tasting Events Hays County gifts club (which based on the name, I don't have high expectations of, but hey, it's a winery!) and 5 minutes from a place to go skydiving Sky Dive San Marcos

I called today and blocked 20 sites along the river. If there is anyone that would like to join but aren't able to bring their AS, there are plenty of cabins.
The manager will call me in the next couple of days with the rates. Non-rally rates for the sites I've reserved are 41.00 per night, so if nothing else, it won't be more than that.

If you'd like to reserve a spot, simply call Leisure Resort at 512-213-0112 and tell them that you're with the Airstream group. I'll keep an updated list of folks that have reserved spaces here https://docs.google.com/a/mercurymam...3NGVzVnc#gid=0

Brad, as a moderator can you give me access to update the first post in this thread to have all of the relevant info?

Thanks all!

Lynn
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We have stayed at Pecan Park in San Marcos several times and have already booked the weekend following Memorial day for the 3rd annual Central Texas Rally. The park is great, and Jim has always been very accommodating to the Airforum folks. They also have a large indoor gathering area with kitchen.

We would like to attend as FoFOD if this happens.

Steve

On Edit, I see Pecan Park was taken off the list. Will look at the other local to see if we can work it.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
SoldierMedic,

We'd love to have you join. Leisure Resort is just a little further east on Highway 80.

Thanks for the additional input on Pecan Park. I've heard nothing but great things about it!

Lynn
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Will look into it. The OR schedule won't be out for quite some time, but I think we can make it Friday evening and Saturday.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
They have an interesting solution to manage crappy RVs... Instead of a blanket 10-yr rule, they have an aesthetic approval policy only for monthly rentals. I like that!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
When we went to tour Leisure, a gaggle of vintage Canned Hams was pulling out. **swoon**

It's probably a good thing that I live in the city and don't have space to collect small, aluminum campers.
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Any destination is fine with us.

But ... a couple suggestions in the event Leisure Resorts is the decided upon location. We camped at Leisure Resorts July 4th weekend.

The older sites at the top of the park have the connections placed anywhere from mid point of the site to near the front of the site. So if the Rally group is located at the "older top of the park sites", ensure you can do the following:

1. Tolerate tight sites with close proximity to your neighbors (side to side) and don't have an issue with lack of privacy (your neighbor's picnic table will be right under the windows of your trailer),

2. Be willing to not use your side awnings or have very limited space to extend your awnings on some sites (your neighbor's unit will limit this or in other cases trees on the site will limit this),

3. Tolerate your neighbor's utility connections steps away from your front door (this includes sewer),

4. Pull in from the wrong direction and run your utilities under the trailer in the event you have short power cord, short water hose, short sewer hose (your front door will face your neighbor's front door as well as your own utility connections of your trailer),

5. Park at the far back of your site or park at the far front of your site and have long utility connections (power cords, water hose, sewer hose).

The newer sites down by the river look like they are more accomodating of spacing and utilities. Wonder if the RV Park would commit to letting us have those sites? But maybe not, they may also have those leased out for the snowbirds that are already there?

Again, nothing against Leisure Resorts ... just for those traveling in from afar and those that have never camped at this RV Park ... be prepared for some unique challenges with utility connections.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Photos from Floating the San Marcos River

Attached are a few photos where we floated the San Marcos River at Leisure Resorts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Marcos River 1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	168570   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Marcos River 4.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	168571  

Click image for larger version

Name:	San Marcos River 5.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	168572   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Marcos River 6.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	168573  

Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Our water hook up is mid trailer, and both electric and water are in the back. We usually carry several hoses and cords so any spot will likely be fine.

Looking forward to cooler weather camping. No furnace in ours, but a space heater plus the catalytic should be enough for us.

Steve
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Frank&Mike, great feedback! I've blocked 20 sites down by the river (the purple area in the bottom right of the sitemap at http://leisurecamp.net/pdf/LeisureResort.pdf).

Site 14 is a bit small, so I put Becky and I and our little 19' Bambi there.

And finally, we now have a logo for the rally. That makes it real, right??

Lynn
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nice Logo!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I'm glad you like it!
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Careful, Brad might appoint you as permanent FOD Graphic Designer! Good work Lynn!

wbcci 4174
air 38117
briboy is offline   Reply With Quote