Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Writing off Airstream to business

It is doubtful that the entire trailer could be written off as an expense unless it was exclusively used by the business, but a reasonable per diem for each day it is used, (instead of a hotel) in the service of your business is legitimate and reasonable.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Milpitas , California
I purchased my airstream for business for I am an architect and park it on the job site for a project. I use it for other uses also but it is considered the construction trailer. I plan to add graphics like company logo to the airstream soon to advertise my business also. It will be parked on a major thoroughfare where it will be seen by stop and go traffic.

My accountant was fine with the definition of the construction trailer and when not in use for that it is stored in indoor storage which is written off.

Of course, there are the camping trips and vacations that we go on but not very often.

It is written off as a business expense and items we purchase for it we write off. I bring the airstream to clients in the future and provide a promotional event where we will advertise my company and we purchased a portable BBQ and accessories for the event.

Always clear it with your accountant as I have each step.

I did not think about the travel and lodging concept and I can use that as part of the write offs also now.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Gary W Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I don't own my Airstream. It's in an LLC, which is registered to my business, which is owned by another LLC which is owned by a Trust.

You figure it out.

Can you deduct it? Maybe if you have a good business plan that involves your Airstream. I kind of put something together that is going to allow me to deduct almost all of our travel expenses.

A lawyer, a CPA and some books are your friends. I find the opinions on the internet to be varied in regards to this. Average people just seem to enjoy over paying taxes and living in ignorance of the tax code.

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote