Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Working For The Road

Okay, so Mods, move this if it's misplaced.

Pondering retirement in the next couple of years. Wonder if anyone here is in similar situation. I'd like to work part time after retirement to subsidize our travel adventures. Won't be full timing, so will have apartment base to work out of in the "non-camping" months.

Have thought about stadium ushering type jobs, perhaps putting up my own handyman service, and of course if need be, perhaps some communications consulting, but just wondered what others might be doing?

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Amazon has a popular work camper program that some here participate in. Another popular job is camp host.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

, Florida
Hi Dana, we are in the same type of situation. Wanting to full time on the road in about two years and wondering how to maintain an income so we don't have to touch retirement funds. Plus, we are airdreamers and can't wait to be airstreamers! It's going to be a fun couple of years planning all this out.

-Joanne
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Amazon has a popular work camper program that some here participate in. Another popular job is camp host.
Being a camp host generally doesn't pay anything, but you get a free campsite for however long you're a host.

Corps of Engineers needs hundreds of camp hosts each year— there are Corps campgrounds in 44 states, and right now there are openings for camp hosts in 39 states. Here is the website that lists all of the openings…
Headquarters U.S. Army Corps of Engineers > Missions > Civil Works > Recreation > Volunteer Clearinghouse > Volunteer OpportunitiesIf you don't see any you like right now, check back in about a month and there should be new listings.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Working on the road

There's a magazine out there, I think it's called Workcampers, or something like that. Do an internet search. This magazine will point you to hundreds, if not thousands of jobs out there for Rver's. Subscribe now, by the time you're ready to hit the road, you'll have all the work you'll want to do waiting for you. There's also a book out there named, "RoadWork II The Rver's Ultimate Income Resources Guide." Between these two sources, you'll have a good start on what you can do.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
RVWorkersonwheels.com is a free website with job listings. You can sign up for a weekly email with listings and other info.
Dennis
Old 07-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Joanne View Post
Hi Dana, we are in the same type of situation. Wanting to full time on the road in about two years and wondering how to maintain an income so we don't have to touch retirement funds. Plus, we are airdreamers and can't wait to be airstreamers! It's going to be a fun couple of years planning all this out.

-Joanne
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Camping World used to have a work camping program. Don't know if they still do but won't hurt to ask.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Let me rephrase the question

Ok so for a guy who spent 20 plus years writing headlines, I got just a tad too obtuse with that one.

What I am looking for is thoughts by folks that are not working ON the road, but who are retired and work part time jobs during the non camping season wherever their permanent abode may be.... or maybe I'm the first to ever contemplate this type of arrangement?

But thanks for all the working ON the road suggestions just the same. Amazon is opening a big fulfillment center here in the Dallas area, so that might be my answer.

Dana
Old 07-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You mention perhaps being a handyman. So I assume you've got tool skills and mechanical smarts. How about a mobile RV systems business? Leave the oil changes and the drivetrain stuff to established mechanics, and specialize in systems. Since you want to stay in one place in the off season, market yourself to folks like you who only travel part of the year and have their RV's stored at home, or nearby. Advertising through RV storage locations might get you in front of the right market. Vehicle registrations are public records, and you can probably buy a list of registered RVs, sorted by zip code, from your state DMV.

You could specialize in installation and upgrades in electrical and charging systems, custom audio systems, lighting, water systems, sanitation, appliance installation, LP gas systems, cabinet work, security and alarms, etc. etc. If you do quality work at a competitive price, and stand behind your work, you'll stay as busy as you want to be.

Make your avocation your vocation! You could create a nice little seasonal business. There are so many "semi-skilled" people in the mobile RV service trade (In the marine business, we call 'em "dock rats"). If you just show up on time, you'll be ahead of most of the competition.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayzata , Minnesota
Don't laugh... I recommend Kelly Girls or Slaves or Personnel. I'm not sure what it's called these days, but every time I move, which used to be pretty often, I would sign up for Kelly or its equivalent. You get to have such varied experiences, and the employers LOVE you for showing up and speaking the King's English. Expectations are low. Be a temp. Work when you want to.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." (E.B. White)
WendyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
A mobile handyman sound great, but be aware of local licensing laws. I'd start by investigating those local laws in a 100 mile radius of where you would like to be based. You are going to have to build a reputation, so trying to take your business very far from home is going to be difficult. While you are looking at those local laws you can check on the various campgrounds in the area to see what they do when a guest asks about a mobile handyman.

Also think about how much you want to work while being retired. If your business takes off you could well end up working 50-60 hours per week every week. When will you get to travel?
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
See the workcamping subforum on WOODALLS.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
A mobile handyman sound great, but be aware of local licensing laws. I'd start by investigating those local laws in a 100 mile radius of where you would like to be based. You are going to have to build a reputation, so trying to take your business very far from home is going to be difficult. While you are looking at those local laws you can check on the various campgrounds in the area to see what they do when a guest asks about a mobile handyman.

Also think about how much you want to work while being retired. If your business takes off you could well end up working 50-60 hours per week every week. When will you get to travel?

I've thought about that. So my website would say all booked up when it was time to go camping

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums