Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you work full time on the road
In a airstream 1 20.00%
want to full time work while traveling 4 80.00%
retired and living full time in an airtream 2 40.00%
own a vintage trailer or motorhome 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Working and traveling full time

Click image for larger version

Name:	90-2010 241.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	118087

Name:	90-2010 001.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	118088

Name:	90-2010 583 resized.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	118089

Name:	trailer re sized.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	118090

Hi all Happy Holiday's we want to hear from all who works and travels 24/7 in a airstream , we have been traveling for 7 years but only 4 years in our vintage 71, we love it at times you have to be creative with ways to make money or save money while enjoying your life style we have done it and still do it with some challenges at times but we are happy and have our home attached to us check out our blog we just started it no we are not writing a book or looking for cash from you just sharing and encourage feedback from all note we have lived in our airstream in -32 wind chill in WY for 10 weeks and 105 in the desert all seasons and lived to tell about it have fun with what you do and safe travels Sean & Rondie & Juno htpp://71airstreamtraveling.blogspot.com Vintage travelers
scorpiontimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We have been in ours for four years now. Seems like everyday is an opportunity to improve it, or to make everything better. I know and believe that the ups and downs are actually good for you. Employment wise, we are leaning towards the Army Corps of engineers as a destination and a future. I am an independent painter/contractor/mural artist....and sometimes there just ain't no murals out there, and have to do otherwise in order to make money. Some times it's there and some times it isn't. But the trick to our business is to stay in one place and make other businesses see you. We would not do this any other way. And I figure the literal invention of the Airstream makes all this a reality.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Been awhile sense we have heard from you last time we were in Santa Fe and you were working on a mural in TX that you did years before and was reconditioning it. we were trying to get you to Santa Fe to work camp. well we have left there end of season got cold anyway did Fl Xmas tree lot and now we are trying to locate work for rest of winter to carry us through to May for Yellowstone winter is the hardest time as not much out there except southern states which reduces work camping sites by over half and many old timers are out there going for them jobs and many jobs are site only which is really bad for us who rely on money to live but as long as workers are willing to take these we will all suffer. and you know I have no problem with work for free at a Fed or State camp but the private owner parks are making a lot of money on this and they know they can keep making money and more money on non paying workers and no mater what some say that site is not worth as much as you or 2 people work most of them sites are empty and most parks are running 65 to 70 percent full 100 percent of the time so sites will be open and not generating the income but that is business and the business owner will do what he feels he needs to make the money he needs, I think as work campers we need to be careful when we take these jobs as the hours are so different across the board one owner ask for 30hrs each person for the site each week that is 60 hrs a week per site so if pay is $7.00 in area that site is $400.00 a week, this is the issue we are seeing on the road these days, For me i will give my time to Fed or State for site as a worthy cause but most parks are not a charity issue. Good luck out there let us know where you are we will be leaving Mystic Springs Airstream park and going to San Antonio to look at a park that I may work at and for pay than maybe Zavalla TX at TAHA a real nice airstream park.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
We bought our 87 Argosy last year, and started traveling in June. We've only recently discovered workamping, so we don't have any actual workamping experience per se. I do some online affiliate marketing and I build Squidoo lenses (aka web pages for Seth Godin's brainchild, squidoo.com). We get the workamper hotline e-mails, and really enjoy reading the ads.

I hope this thread takes off ... I would be very interested in all replies on this topic.

87 Argosy 33 F since April 2010
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
We're working from the road...so far it's working ok but with challenges. My husband started his own company so that we could do this, he does online/email marketing, consulting so everything can be done remotely, we can go back and visit with old local clients as needed and hopefully make new ones along the way. I got lucky and my job let me go part time and work remotely. We just started full timing and are at our first RV park now, were supposed to have wifi but we've had connectivity issues, finally working ok now that we got the signal booster and antenna (yet to install the antenna actually). So...we are a bit worried about reliable internet access, husband works pretty much full time and sometimes has demanding clients. It will probably dictate some areas we can't go to if there will be chance of poor internet signal.

So...long story short...I believe it can be done if you're creative. There are a lot of opportunities to make money using the internet if you're willing to work hard.
Sadie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Smile working on the road

Good to see more airstreamers out there giving the work from the road a try many have wanted to do this but unsure how and a little scared to take the plunge. We have been doing this for more than a few years and love every bit of it, yes been some challenges but what is life with out challenges and trails, we are fortunate to be in and area of the country this winter out of the snow and ice, we have placed ourselves by airstream only parks as a home base to look for a RV park to host at for the winter, and as fortune has it a good move as we have left Mystic Springs to San Antoino TX for 3 on site interviews at RV parks all within 30miles of each other, normally we do this by phone but all of these start in Feb and we get to see what the parks are and decide on the one we want to work at. then we go to Zavalla TX airstream harbor till our start time. Some times it all works out for the best. If you find a park that has offered you a position it does help to check RV park reviews to see what customers say about it, this will give you an idea of how the people you are to work for treat customers if badly than expect badly towards their workers my 2 cents in have safe travels and enjoy life after all you get to travel and enjoy life in a rolling piece of silver American history
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
WorkKamping is alright if you are built and equipped for it. I look forward to doing it...not actually working in trade for space, but as an artist in residence (probably the same but different title) ...also have been getting the truck up graded to a point where we KNOW it's going to tow this 27 foot package of Aluminum.

Tags
workamping, working, fulltiming