Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
Any Where , Texas
My DW and I traveled for several years with our embroidery business. We pulled a 20' trailer behind our Jayco Seneca.

We did 40+ shows each year and spent most of our time boondocking in convention center parking lots or parked in some quiet RV park working at our embroidery machines.

We made a very good income, sold a lot of shirts, hats, doggy scarves/leashes, horse blankets, etc, etc..... (we even embroidered car seats)

Work/income can come in all shapes and forms if a person really wants to make it happen.

Happy Travels,

PS: Our third MH was a 2000 AS Land Yacht (33'). The Jayco we now have is 37' with 3 S/O's. (Lot's of room) The only reason we sold the 'yacht' was for more room.

Texas Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Transporting drugs is very lucrative. Just saying.

Rental real estate won't provide me with residuals for like 10 more years. And my dividends are only paying out about 1K a month, which I usually roll back into investments. I'd like to live off dividends one day. We'll see.

Trading crypto-currencies, blogging, web development and app development. Along with small business consultanting in all things related to the web. Small business owner on wheels.

It's do-able.

There are lots of ways to make money and travel. Selling all your crap and not having ties to STUFF is the first way.

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
APPLETON , Wisconsin
This is absolutely awesome info.

I think paying off all your existing debt is the first time and then selling/liquidating everything in the meantime should also be happening.
My wife and I are currently in the middle of planning and scheming, but this is awesome info.
- Scott.
PSYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Workampers? Work/Live RVers? Share your story?

Andy Jones has an excellent blog on GG work as well as a forum. The standard rate is up to $200/day now I believe. Might still be 1099. I'd head towards the Permian Basin ahead of the Eagle Ford, but the crowd on that forum would know more

Beats hell out of Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
When we started to prepare for full-timing we thought that we would do some garage sales. I had sold quite a lot of stuff on eBay and Craigslist. When I started to figure out what we might hope to realize from a sale, I decided that the paltry amount was not worth the effort. I called one of the charities that have trucks and they came and picked up all that stuff.

We are still sitting on the house, it has been up for sale for 5 months now and no takers. Once it goes, everything else will go as well including us!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ridgway , Colorado
We have just started part-time full-timing. My husband is a fully remote software developer. I am winding down my consulting business and ramping up our landscape photography business. We have had quite a bit of success with self-publishing ebooks on photography topics, which I can do remotely as well as I can do from home (even though I can do consulting work remotely, I would rather be doing things related to photography like writing more ebooks).

Since you mentioned that you are a crafter, you could look into options like Etsy. My husband's boss just quit his software development job to work with his wife on their Etsy store because it was doing so well, so successful examples do exist in this realm and might fit your skills.

Based on our skills and backgrounds, we are working to harness the power of technology and develop a business we control. Our ebooks paid for a big chunk of our Airstream, so I am excited about putting more effort into self-publishing. Although our blog only has one post (linked in my profile), it does have more about our story if you happen to be interested. Best wishes in finding an option that will work for you.

Sarah Marino
Part-time full-timer - working from the road and photographing along the way
Our travel blog:
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote