Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
PVStreamer

2005 28' International CCD
Scottsdale , Arizona
WiFi on the road

Hello!

We are about to embark on a two month tour in our 2005 28' CCD and need to stay connected for work purposes. While we have planned the trip around WiFi availability, we have also read that reception from inside our Airstream may be hindered by the double aluminum shell. We have had relative success in the past with using our iPhone hot spots, but that was in a previous motorhome "box".

We have also read about a number of booster kits available and found that little information is relative to an Airstream. Can anyone shed light on this subject for us? Any comments/knowledge would be appreciated,

PVStreamer
PVStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
hi from AZ. . . must be a half dozen threads on this subject, a couple active now. Use the 'search' function and regards, Craig
Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Or just go here: RV Mobile Internet Resource Center - WiFi, Cellular, Satellite | Technomadia
Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
verizon MIFI

best available for reasonable cost and most availability
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
It is true, the aluminum skins do hinder wifi and cell phone signals. However, if you have a good wifi signal, it will work AOK anyway. I use my laptop in the kitchen dinette where I've got a nice window and it works fine, IF the place I'm at has good wifi.

If they don't have good wife, you will find that your's doesn't work but the guy beside you in the stick frame Prowler's does. As well, if the cell signal is iffy, it may work outside but not in the coach.

Contractor buddies of mine use a type of cell phone booster that attaches to the glass in their truck on both inside and outside. They bluetooth to it with their cellphones and it allows their phones to work where nobody else's will that's not on the booster. Something like that on one of your windows would do for the cell phone. You could run your laptop through cellular wifi.

But anyway, what you heard is no myth; it's true.

Best of luck,
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings From The Florida Panhandle

We travel in our Airstream extensively all over the country. We depend on internet access to run an on-line business.

We use a hot spot generated through our Verizon Android cell phones. We use an app called Foxfi. This system has worked very well for us over the last five years. We just put the phone in the window of the Airstream. We do carry a Wilson range extender for poor cell signal areas.

If you are going to travel extensively throughout the country, Verizon is the only carrier to have. We have tried AT&T. Their coverage was awful away from major metro areas.

Don't depend on campground wifi. It is very often as slow as molasses.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I need High Speed Internet access in my Airstream for remote work access, watching movies, streaming Pandora, accessing Dropbox files, or just plain fun. About two years ago, when we bought our new 30' FC, I decided to set it up correctly right away, and it has worked VERY well, and it's very inexpensive. See info copied below from the other thread:

================================================

Here's the link to the Wilson signal booster:

Wilson Sleek 4G Universal SmarTech III Cell Phone/Hotspot Cradle Signal Booster - 460107 [700/800/1900/1700/2100mhz], 132 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

NOTE: it is on sale through July 12 for ($139.99 $40 off!) and shipping is only $5.

I had the dealer mount the antenna to the roof with aircraft adhesive and drill/fill/seal a hole to run the coax into the interior of the Airstream (comes into the stereo cabinet). I then mounted the cradle to the cabinet just above the stereo faceplate (it comes with an adhesive swivel bracket). This allowed me to plug the DC power plug into the 12v outlet that is right above the DVD player.

Every time we are in the airstream, I just pull my Verizon Jetpack out of my briefcase and pop it into the cradle. Voila! Instant wi-fi throughout the trailer.

This works so well for two reasons:

1. It gets the reception OUTSIDE of the trailer by mounting the antenna on the roof.

2. The cradle boosts the signal from the cellphone/jetpack/etc.

I almost always have full signal now (4+ bars) and never use campground wi-fi. It allows me to use my laptop, iPad, phone, etc. all at the same time. My wife also usually has her laptop connected too. We are even able to use our AppleTV in the Airstream to watch movies from iTunes or Amazon Prime.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Interesting info on Verizon vs AT&T coverage.

In Deep East Texas at Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc (TAHI) Verizon service is nonexistent.

Likewise, in South Texas throughout most of the Eagle Ford Shale play AT&T is the only service to rely on.

Good info about the rest of the nation.

I would hate to have to pay for two major phone coverages, both Verizon and AT&T.

Anyone else in this conundrum?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
A range extender helps. I find the wi fi tower and put the extender in a window with a good shot at the tower. But the reception is only as good as the network in the campground.
The problem is that wi fi at many campgrounds is marginal at best and becomes over loaded when many users attempt to get on the system.
Unless you want to work when others are sleeping, you need your own cell phone system. Verizon has the widest coverage.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with Handn: If you rely on campground wifi for your life (i.e., your business), then you may be disappointed. There are times when these systems just get overrun with service demands and become practically unusable. Resort towns like the one I live in just make things worse: During holidays when the place is packed to the gills with tourists, service will be painful even if absolutely nobody is in the campground. (Our town, for example, expands by a factor of 10 during holidays, and it seems like every single one of them must be trying to connect with multiple devices.)

Lynn
Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
Ditto.

There are a few areas where Verizon is weak or unavailable, but overall it is highly reliable.

Have had it for years, and it is the only wifi we have. Use it at home, take it on the road.

Maggie
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I worked with AT&T at my former job. They had antennas on our building so I got to talk with many folks about their systems. While AT&T has the fastest 4G service, it hasn't been built out like Verizon's network is. So once you get out in the locales outside major cities, you will find Verizon really has the better service level, especially if you want a faster connection. I have a Verizon hotspot device for my service. Those devices are more conducive to supporting multiple devices than a hot spot that is part of a phone.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We have been on the road for a week in our 25FC. We have tried to use campground wifi but it is not reliable or very slow. The mobile hotspot we got from ATT has worked great and both of us are able to get on at the same time inside the AS. Maybe it is beginner's luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
If you're traveling to remote spots I'd go Verizon. For some of you older folks, more likely to be closer to urban areas, major cities and resorts, AT&T is ok. Verizon is still the fastest.

My wife works for an Basecamp.com and I work for wihphotels.com, we both work remotely, and online all day. Our lives and income depend on it. This is something I've been researching heavily, as we plan a lot of boondocking and visiting places like Glacier for the next year.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
My wife works for an Basecamp.com and I work for wihphotels.com, we both work remotely, and online all day. Our lives and income depend on it. This is something I've been researching heavily, as we plan a lot of boondocking and visiting places like Glacier for the next year.
If you are on the East side of Glacier, there is no ATT service at all, phone or data. Verizon has a tower on triple divide mountain which gives service in St. Mary and Babb. There is no service at all in Two Medicine, or Many Glacier inside the park. The town of East Glacier and Marias Pass have Verizon service. I don't think any ATT, but not positive about that. Apgar campground on the West side has Verizon service.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
I'm surprised to see I'm far from alone in working remotely while traveling full time and relying on having decent internet speeds for work. Great post to read!

I have a Verizon 4G MyFi hotspot which usually works great (but isn't cheap at the amount I go through each month) but right now in South Lake Tahoe, California (in the mountains) it has been completely useless. My cell phone through them also only has 2 bars on average.

Luckily, I only just purchased my AS and it's in the shop still so I haven't moved into it yet. I am staying in a holiday rental and can use the house internet but it's definitely a concern for future travel. I will invest in this booster thing for sure.

Has anyone been to areas they just cannot get mobile internet strong enough or work from?
AussieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also use Verizon. We use our phone as a wifi hotspot with the Foxfi app. When we have a two bar signal on the phone, we can usually get usable internet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
(snip)

Has anyone been to areas they just cannot get mobile internet strong enough or work from?
Lots of little areas here in the Northwest have limited cell/net service. For example, here at my home there is none at all. The closest place is about 5 miles away to the west, and that dark area continues for 120 miles East, on Highway 12 through to Lolo Montana. I use satellite internet here at home, and a land line. So, there is one 125 mile stretch of road and wonderful camping which has no service at all. And I mentioned above that service in Glacier National Park is spotty at best.

That said, even camping at some pretty remote places in Forest Service Campgrounds, I don't very often lack service using my Verizon Jet Pack. But there are no guarantees, ever.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
I'm surprised to see I'm far from alone in working remotely while traveling full time and relying on having decent internet speeds for work. Great post to read!

I have a Verizon 4G MyFi hotspot which usually works great (but isn't cheap at the amount I go through each month) but right now in South Lake Tahoe, California (in the mountains) it has been completely useless. My cell phone through them also only has 2 bars on average.

Luckily, I only just purchased my AS and it's in the shop still so I haven't moved into it yet. I am staying in a holiday rental and can use the house internet but it's definitely a concern for future travel. I will invest in this booster thing for sure.

Generally speaking, the more mountainous, the more spotty service can be. We just got back from ten days in various locations in the Western Sierra Nevada Range and were without service much of the time. If you get up high and can have a clear view your chances are better if within range of a tower. If you see pay phones, you can safely guess the cell service is bad!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
Pretty sure if I try to go to another place like this it will require extensive research to try to be as close to the tower as possible
AussieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote