Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You'll just need to plan your travels around your coverage for some areas. Like Glacier. The "Coverage" app mentioned earlier is a useful resource. I work project to project which makes it a lil easier for me, but my wife is help desk and needs to be one during the days. So we have to work around that.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
Pretty sure if I try to go to another place like this it will require extensive research to try to be as close to the tower as possible
This website may help. LOTS of free information. It doesn't specify which carriers use the antennas or towers, but it is useful. Cell towers are generally owned by 3rd party companies that specialize in them. Cell phone carriers generally lease them, but can own them as well.
AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everwhere , Traveling
I really appreciate all the help everyone, bookmarking everything.

I'm actually driving over to San Francisco tomorrow to stay with some friends because at & t can't come and install a temporary internet connection in my apartment here until Tuesday and I can't work. That's how bad it's got. I would say the lack of reliable internet has been the hardest part of full time traveling so far.

Well that and packing, but the airstream will help with that!
AussieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We mounted the WiFi Range Extender and the Verizion MiFi external antenna on the refrigerator vent,. We install a 120Vac duplex in the rear street side roof locker to power the inside router of the WiFi Ranger which in turn powers the Verizon MiFi.

The Airstream body is similar to a Faraday cage in terms of blocking weak radio signals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panels-the rear 4 and Maxim skylight.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	216680  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I want your solar setup! LOL.

What antenna did you use with the mifi switz? We're working out the details of a dual setup. One for our truck and one for the Airstream.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Still in transit getting home from the UK.

It was the Verizon recommended external antenna for the specific MiFi model. Since I have had several, there are versions with suction cups for window glass as well as magnetic base. There is usually a 6 to 8 inch screw onto antenna lead adapter cord for the antenna fitting on the MiFi. I ordered them from Verizon. Careful selection on their web page is necessary to not get the incorrect cable.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am on the road again to the RMVAC get together in Gunnison CO. I have been staying at FS and BLM campgrounds that I have been in before. This year I am finding even better Verizon 4G service at the places I have stopped. Faster, and more reliable. As I write this I am in a BLM campground 20+ miles out of Pinedale WY and have super fast 4G tonight. The last time I was here, it was marginal service, barely working 3G. So, things are getting better in the boonies.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from most of ya'all. My job takes me to primarily metropolitan areas, so at most, I'm 10-15 miles outside of town and haven't had any trouble with my little ATT Unite box. Work provides it so I'm not going to ever complain, and right now, I'm about 8 miles from the little town I'm working in and getting 28 downstream and 7 upstream. There must be a repeater around here because I've got 4 bars.

I'm going on the same premise as most though, that the bandwidth they give you 'free' isn't all that great. If the company gave me Verizon, I'd love that too!

https://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com
ratfarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Cellular and WiFi Service is difficult to recommend since it varies from place to place. In my area ATT rules but during 2004 and Hurricane Charlie, Verizon customers had continued service even after the other companies gave out- for some reason.

Cellular:

On my first trip with my AS I learned quickly about not having phone service inside. I was on an island and there was a weak signal outside to begin with. I read through the forum and found someone who did a great share of using different boosters and what they found to work- a wilson SLEEK. They were sharing about their experiences in the northwest. After that I prepared to buy a SLEEK but learned that a universal model was due out at any time. I waited and got that one which works with any carrier. It was called SLEEK universal. I do not know what they call it now. It comes with basically everything but you can purchase a more powerful antenna too. They have a specific kit and it is significantly more powerful. There are videos online that show what a difference a SLEEK makes and, it can be used in a car too as it is portable.

WiFi:

I have really toyed with this one. I originally purchased the WiFi ranger system mobile titanium RV kit with Go. It works when it gets a signal. I recently upgraded the antenna to a powerful whip-type. I pick up lots of signals but they area usually locked. I do not know the distance radius but I DO know that the new antenna is amazingly powerful. Regardless, though, you have to have access to a provider even if you can pick up the signal. During my last camping adventure, I was able to see many of my fellow campers' wifi signals and there was only four other RVs in my loop. The others were in other sections. I purchased one of those Sprint network Walmart Internet to Go mifi units and it has served me well. I can also put it in the SLEEK. The nice thing about that is that you set up an account with a balance and pay for what you need as you go without ever having expiration on the minutes. That way it is a true pay as you use it service rather than a monthly fee. Sprint is CDMA so it covers a great deal of ground as a signal-to-tower carrier. So far, I have been able to get a signal in every location I have used it.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #30
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I am on the road again to the RMVAC get together in Gunnison CO. I have been staying at FS and BLM campgrounds that I have been in before. This year I am finding even better Verizon 4G service at the places I have stopped. Faster, and more reliable. As I write this I am in a BLM campground 20+ miles out of Pinedale WY and have super fast 4G tonight. The last time I was here, it was marginal service, barely working 3G. So, things are getting better in the boonies.
I like hearing this!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had driven 4 hours into the middle of nowhere last year in the Rocky Mountains, halfway across this wilderness on logging roads.

Not a soul to be seen, no hookups of any kind at this forest campground, but it was surrounded by beautiful Aspen, and we decided to stay there for the night.

No sooner had we gotten parked and were setting up, but I got a phone call from my son in Illinois, and Doug received a text from his son in Iowa. Couldn't have asked for better.

No wifi thru the mifi, but things were coming thru the phone.

We are longtime, dedicated, Verizon users.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
And tonight I am at a FS campground on the top of Rabbit Ears Pass east of Steamboat Springs CO on RT 40. Excellent fast 4G Verizon service here too. I don't remember what service I got here two years ago but I am sure it was not 4G.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
For peace of mind, I always carry a satellite phone for any emergency in a remote area whether towing or riding a motorcycle or just driving cross country.

I also carry an emergency locator by SPOT that can summon emergency help and they know your location within about 75 feet. One can turn on tracking and a family member can know your current location at all times via a web page on their computer.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
For peace of mind, I always carry a satellite phone for any emergency in a remote area whether towing or riding a motorcycle or just driving cross country.

I also carry an emergency locator by SPOT that can summon emergency help and they know your location within about 75 feet. One can turn on tracking and a family member can know your current location at all times via a web page on their computer.
That emergency locator thing sounds interesting, switz. Got a link for that?

My kids worry about me out and about alone.....might be a good thing to have.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Here's an Amazon link to multiple choices:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1trddzchxk_b

Highly recommended if you travel in distant locations and need help. We have used one while crossing Lake Michigan in a 26' boat, as well as hunting in Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Here is the SPOT link.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

All major sporting good stores like Cabella's and BassPro etc and Amazon carry them.

The cost of the device is modest.

Grab your socks for the annual services, though. Buying longer time periods reduces the average cost per year to just indigestion level versus getting sick...

The MediVac option is important for truly remote areas.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
Gunnison

See you in Gunnison. We have been here a week. This is my wife's home town. It is getting warmer. I am going to miss the shade of a big willow tree we are under. My Verizon MiFi is working well here.
Dick Deam

Quote:
COLONEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, switz.

The costs are a bit daunting.

As I won't be doing any truly remote camping or traveling, may pass on this little toy.

Maggie
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The SPOT kept my family aware of my progress on my long solo rides I have taken on the GoldWing motorcycle. They have a close "last known" position if I did not report in. That is a passive way of activation for help in case I was injured and incapable of hitting the SOS button.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #40
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I've seen so many morons push the help button on their SPOT device when they didn't need the help. You will get fined and stuck with a search & rescue bill if you abuse those things, FYI.

Last time was in the Wind River Range. Guy pressed it because he was "tired" and didn't want to hike the 15 miles back to the parking lot. Heard he got fined and had to pay the $15000 for the helicopter they sent.