Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
My wife works for an Basecamp.com and I work for wihphotels.com, we both work remotely, and online all day. Our lives and income depend on it. This is something I've been researching heavily, as we plan a lot of boondocking and visiting places like Glacier for the next year.
If you are on the East side of Glacier, there is no ATT service at all, phone or data. Verizon has a tower on triple divide mountain which gives service in St. Mary and Babb. There is no service at all in Two Medicine, or Many Glacier inside the park. The town of East Glacier and Marias Pass have Verizon service. I don't think any ATT, but not positive about that. Apgar campground on the West side has Verizon service.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I'm surprised to see I'm far from alone in working remotely while traveling full time and relying on having decent internet speeds for work. Great post to read!

I have a Verizon 4G MyFi hotspot which usually works great (but isn't cheap at the amount I go through each month) but right now in South Lake Tahoe, California (in the mountains) it has been completely useless. My cell phone through them also only has 2 bars on average.

Luckily, I only just purchased my AS and it's in the shop still so I haven't moved into it yet. I am staying in a holiday rental and can use the house internet but it's definitely a concern for future travel. I will invest in this booster thing for sure.

Has anyone been to areas they just cannot get mobile internet strong enough or work from?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also use Verizon. We use our phone as a wifi hotspot with the Foxfi app. When we have a two bar signal on the phone, we can usually get usable internet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
(snip)

Has anyone been to areas they just cannot get mobile internet strong enough or work from?
Lots of little areas here in the Northwest have limited cell/net service. For example, here at my home there is none at all. The closest place is about 5 miles away to the west, and that dark area continues for 120 miles East, on Highway 12 through to Lolo Montana. I use satellite internet here at home, and a land line. So, there is one 125 mile stretch of road and wonderful camping which has no service at all. And I mentioned above that service in Glacier National Park is spotty at best.

That said, even camping at some pretty remote places in Forest Service Campgrounds, I don't very often lack service using my Verizon Jet Pack. But there are no guarantees, ever.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
I'm surprised to see I'm far from alone in working remotely while traveling full time and relying on having decent internet speeds for work. Great post to read!

I have a Verizon 4G MyFi hotspot which usually works great (but isn't cheap at the amount I go through each month) but right now in South Lake Tahoe, California (in the mountains) it has been completely useless. My cell phone through them also only has 2 bars on average.

Luckily, I only just purchased my AS and it's in the shop still so I haven't moved into it yet. I am staying in a holiday rental and can use the house internet but it's definitely a concern for future travel. I will invest in this booster thing for sure.

Generally speaking, the more mountainous, the more spotty service can be. We just got back from ten days in various locations in the Western Sierra Nevada Range and were without service much of the time. If you get up high and can have a clear view your chances are better if within range of a tower. If you see pay phones, you can safely guess the cell service is bad!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Pretty sure if I try to go to another place like this it will require extensive research to try to be as close to the tower as possible
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You'll just need to plan your travels around your coverage for some areas. Like Glacier. The "Coverage" app mentioned earlier is a useful resource. I work project to project which makes it a lil easier for me, but my wife is help desk and needs to be one during the days. So we have to work around that.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Pretty sure if I try to go to another place like this it will require extensive research to try to be as close to the tower as possible
This website may help. LOTS of free information. It doesn't specify which carriers use the antennas or towers, but it is useful. Cell towers are generally owned by 3rd party companies that specialize in them. Cell phone carriers generally lease them, but can own them as well.
AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I really appreciate all the help everyone, bookmarking everything.

I'm actually driving over to San Francisco tomorrow to stay with some friends because at & t can't come and install a temporary internet connection in my apartment here until Tuesday and I can't work. That's how bad it's got. I would say the lack of reliable internet has been the hardest part of full time traveling so far.

Well that and packing, but the airstream will help with that!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We mounted the WiFi Range Extender and the Verizion MiFi external antenna on the refrigerator vent,. We install a 120Vac duplex in the rear street side roof locker to power the inside router of the WiFi Ranger which in turn powers the Verizon MiFi.

The Airstream body is similar to a Faraday cage in terms of blocking weak radio signals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panels-the rear 4 and Maxim skylight.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	216680  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I want your solar setup! LOL.

What antenna did you use with the mifi switz? We're working out the details of a dual setup. One for our truck and one for the Airstream.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Still in transit getting home from the UK.

It was the Verizon recommended external antenna for the specific MiFi model. Since I have had several, there are versions with suction cups for window glass as well as magnetic base. There is usually a 6 to 8 inch screw onto antenna lead adapter cord for the antenna fitting on the MiFi. I ordered them from Verizon. Careful selection on their web page is necessary to not get the incorrect cable.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am on the road again to the RMVAC get together in Gunnison CO. I have been staying at FS and BLM campgrounds that I have been in before. This year I am finding even better Verizon 4G service at the places I have stopped. Faster, and more reliable. As I write this I am in a BLM campground 20+ miles out of Pinedale WY and have super fast 4G tonight. The last time I was here, it was marginal service, barely working 3G. So, things are getting better in the boonies.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from most of ya'all. My job takes me to primarily metropolitan areas, so at most, I'm 10-15 miles outside of town and haven't had any trouble with my little ATT Unite box. Work provides it so I'm not going to ever complain, and right now, I'm about 8 miles from the little town I'm working in and getting 28 downstream and 7 upstream. There must be a repeater around here because I've got 4 bars.

I'm going on the same premise as most though, that the bandwidth they give you 'free' isn't all that great. If the company gave me Verizon, I'd love that too!

http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com
ratfarker is offline   Reply With Quote