Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Some one point me in the right...

I have been shopping around....and shopping around ...and around and around...looking for the best way to get the internet to the tow truck without paying a fortune..and be able to travel.
Verizon has a deal called a jet pack. But we do ALOT of interneting -- Netflix and photos. I know there are topics about this, - my eyes are tired but if someone would tell me the very best without a question- the kind of provider they use? ...or something?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
WiFi Ranger Mobile with a USB Aircard of your choice.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Where have you been Bill?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thankyou...I will read up on it now. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Where have you been Bill?
...working my AS off! ha!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I have been doing airbrushed stained glass --so far two churches and one recent restaurant about to open. Check out the video...sorry about the elevator music.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Nice! and creative. I like. Hows the food? I missed seeing you on my trips to Boise City and Copper Breaks.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
They are not open yet, but there are several Mexican food joints here in Altus...so I have no idea about this place.
Going back. This wifi Ranger deal is like a ipod touch where you get wifi options, but alot of them are locked and you have to get a password. Unless you find one that is unlocked and you can join.--Like McDonalds right?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
I have been shopping around....and shopping around ...and around and around...looking for the best way to get the internet to the tow truck without paying a fortune..and be able to travel.
Verizon has a deal called a jet pack. But we do ALOT of interneting -- Netflix and photos. I know there are topics about this, - my eyes are tired but if someone would tell me the very best without a question- the kind of provider they use? ...or something?
No one can tell you the "very best without question". For them, yes, for you, no.

I use Verizon and have since 2007 and overall have found it works very well for me. I tend to use in the range of 3 to 6 GB a month and until this year, when they eliminated it, had unlimited service. Now in the winter when I use it most, the 5 GB for $50 a month may or may not get me through. I may have to curtail my use some.

The mifi from Verizon is a nice little unit. Great range, had an antenna input which I find to be critical in the remote areas I go into in the summer in Montana.

So, that works for me, for you... who knows.

Decisions, decisions, I made 1000 today, probably all wrong.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"Millenicom.com" is a Verizon and Sprint reseller. Some of the plans use the Verizon network and others use Sprint, so you need to ask them which devices use which networks.

We have the 20Gb Hotspot plan for $69.99, which uses the Verizon network and has no contract. However there are some upfront device purchase and setup fees.

There are a couple of "unlimited" plans, but I think those are on Sprint; and I believe they throttle usage at 50Gb's.

We went with Verizon, because we have Verizon phones and they seem to have the best nationwide coverage. However, if you camp mainly in Sprint areas, one of those plans may work better for you.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I'm cheap....I travel with a laptop and use the wifi at McDonalds, ChicFilA, Paneras, local libraries, etc

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
I'm cheap....I travel with a laptop and use the wifi at McDonalds, ChicFilA, Paneras, local libraries, etc
I am too! Use an iPhone and iPad for GPS, voice, e-mail and whatever. Never have a problem.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Free WiFi for WAN works in commercial campgrounds (e.g., KOA) and in town near McDonalds and Starbucks, but there is no free WiFi When boondocking.

Also, tethering to a smartphone works in remote locations, for short periods (e.g., annual two-week vacation, or occasional long weekends); but costs skyrocket with heavy usage. That's when a mobile broadband plan works best.

Probably, the best thing to do is try free WiFi to see if it fits your needs (see note below). Then, if necessary, upgrade to tethering if you have a smartphone or cell modem. And, if all else fails (especially, if you boondock frequently), investigate a mobile broadband plan (e.g., Millenicom | High Speed Wireless Broadband).

Note: As a starting point, SEARCH this site for "WiFi for WAN" to locate recent posts regarding WiFiRanger, CradlePoint, PepWave Surf-On-The-Go (SOTG) and other WiFi solutions that will improve WiFi reception in commercial campgrounds, etc.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I have mounted a Wilson 4G-v Cellular Signal Booster in the Airstream, and instead of putting a cellphone in the cradle, I put my Verizon Jetpack in it. Works WONDERFULLY! I have also installed a WiFi Ranger Sky for whenever there's a free wifi hotspot nearby that I can tap into...

The Jetpack is 5GB and then $10 per gig over that each month ($50 base monthly fee). I can even leave it on while I am towing and pickup full wifi signal in the tow vehicle. 5GB is a lot, but not if you're streaming videos from Netflix.

I just spent a week in South Dakota pheasant hunting and was able to work remotely with ease for three hours daily, no glitches. The Wilson improved my signal from three bars to five bars.