Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Pets and Grooming

Greetings! I am a first time owner and a professional dog groomer and 30+ year dog show enthusiast. I wondered if in my retirement at a camp ground if there would be interest in having fresh air bath/trims done under the awning of my camper? I can set up with professional portable equipment and do great work even "al fresco." Would this cause a problem with campground management or is there a way to go about setting this up?

BTW, I use equipment that vaccuums the hair as I clip, so no mess-very clean!

Nancy
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I don't know what the camp ground would do but owning 2 Schnauzers I sure could use your services.

I have seen various vendors offering various services at camp grounds, don't know if they asked or not.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have seen these vendors at campgrounds as well.

Lots of pet owners like professional grooming services. Sounds like a good way to make some money.

I would think the campground owners would need to be consulted.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I specialize in terriers!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Grooming

I would love a groomer in the campground. #7 for a Springer cut!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Can't say that I have ever seen a dog groomer in a campground - but we sure have had need of their services after camping underneath pines dripping sap!!

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I would think most campgrounds would want a cut of the action. You would be doing a business on their property.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
at our last camping trip there was a mobile RV wash; yet the rules explicitly said 'no RV washing'. I understand the idea might be not to use the parks' water, but i had been hoping it was to preserve the ($50/night) scenery and ambiance and natural atmosphere.

Not to sound stuck up ... but where does it end? RV washing, dog washing... Can I cut hair outside my trailer? Operate an open-air nail salon? A mobile yard sale? Can I set up my portable metal recycling business? Paint your vehicle?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
Not to sound stuck up ... but where does it end? RV washing, dog washing... Can I cut hair outside my trailer? Operate an open-air nail salon? A mobile yard sale? Can I set up my portable metal recycling business? Paint your vehicle?
Do you have a interesting in doing any of these things? I feel you can do anything you want as long as the park rules allow it. If I don't want to be parked next to an open-air nail salon I won't go to that park. I don't think you are anymore stuck up than me, I just don't go to areas where actives are allowed are practiced that I don't care for are illegal. This applies to my daily life also, I don't drive by the corners where the crack dealers are hanging out. I do my best to avoid the panhandlers. The free market will dictate where it ends.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
It takes a village....

I know that there are always bad apples out there. When you go camping, you get the attitude that your site will be left messy, dirty, littered--and all because the opposite of the Good Sam is out there. Roaring generators, smoky fires, screaming children, trashed sites....the list goes on.

It happens in pets also. There are the good responsible folk and then there are the ones you read about in the paper.

Paint me a naif, but I like the idea of an RV "village" with many talents and skills represented by the wide range of people camping. I only hope that my experience could be of help to the group. It's also a great way to start a conversation. Everybody likes to talk about their pets!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
It's also a great way to start a conversation. Everybody likes to talk about their pets!
Well since you asked, back from the groomer yesterday.
Brothers, Blitz and Wolfgang

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
We have used mobile groomers for our Havanese while camping. In a Ca state park, the groomer had to pay for a site to cover the cost of water/power that she used. I would think that you might need to work out those issues with the campground management. That said, I think many owners would love to have the service available and convenient!
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I know that there are always bad apples out there. When you go camping, you get the attitude that your site will be left messy, dirty, littered--and all because the opposite of the Good Sam is out there. Roaring generators, smoky fires, screaming children, trashed sites....the list goes on.

It happens in pets also. There are the good responsible folk and then there are the ones you read about in the paper.

Paint me a naif, but I like the idea of an RV "village" with many talents and skills represented by the wide range of people camping. I only hope that my experience could be of help to the group. It's also a great way to start a conversation. Everybody likes to talk about their pets!
Honey, if you want to do this Go For It, I say!

I have seen mobile dog grooming vans in campgrounds, too, with everything self-contained. Kind of like the mobile RV washer folks you see sometimes,

I think it would be a great way to travel and make a living. You also sound like you have some good sense, and that would help,

Maggie
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Well since you asked, back from the groomer yesterday.
Brothers, Blitz and Wolfgang
How good looking! I want to put a balloon over their smug little faces that says, "My daddy takes us out in the Airstream!"
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pet Groomer.

Hi, probably not a bad idea, but I think a pet sitter might be better; Or maybe you could do both. My dog gets groomed before a trip and after. Sometimes gets a bath during a trip. [in our trailer]

(1.) Dusty / Boo-Boo after being groomed a few days ago.

(2.) Boo-Boo in our trailer on our Alaska trip.

(3.) Boo-Boo's pet sitter in Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006-25.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	183107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210RS.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	183108  

Name:	IMG_5209RS.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	183109  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Love your idea. We have a Havamalt that needs regular grooming. Now that we are retired and spending more time on the road, Sadie gets a little "orphan" looking after a few weeks out. She does get bathed and brushed, but trimmed is a little out of our league. Go for it.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
I also love your idea. Lizzy gets her "rag-a-muffin" look going after 2 months away from home & her groomer. I would have welcomed a dog grooming service while on the road. Here are our before & after shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	183119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	183120  

Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Honey, if you want to do this Go For It, I say!

I have seen mobile dog grooming vans in campgrounds, too, with everything self-contained. Kind of like the mobile RV washer folks you see sometimes,

I think it would be a great way to travel and make a living. You also sound like you have some good sense, and that would help,

Maggie
I wouldn't be trying to make a living at it. It is just that I don't do well with nothing to do.... The professionally outfitted groom vans cost $$$$$ and I would just be doing 1-2 pets in a day as supplemental income and as a service.

Folks just LOVE their pets. I just finished watching the Caravan to African last night. Would you believe that one couple took a Min Poodle on this trip? I think it was about the third segment...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...ml#post1285782

At the moment my trailer is at P&S, Helena OH, getting a few post purchase tweaks, one of which includes the exterior shower option in one of the curbside hatches. That would come in handy for bathing pets, esp. with the recirculating bather to minimize water use and ClipperVac Tote to vacc up hair as it's cut to minimize mess. I've got several $400 scissors and all the stuff to do a professional job.

If you love what you do....
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I wouldn't be trying to make a living at it. It is just that I don't do well with nothing to do.... The professionally outfitted groom vans cost $$$$$ and I would just be doing 1-2 pets in a day as supplemental income and as a service.

Folks just LOVE their pets. I just finished watching the Caravan to African last night. Would you believe that one couple took a Min Poodle on this trip? I think it was about the third segment...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...ml#post1285782

At the moment my trailer is at P&S, Helena OH, getting a few post purchase tweaks, one of which includes the exterior shower option in one of the curbside hatches. That would come in handy for bathing pets, esp. with the recirculating bather to minimize water use and ClipperVac Tote to vacc up hair as it's cut to minimize mess. I've got several $400 scissors and all the stuff to do a professional job.

If you love what you do....
Sounds like you are good to go.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My travel buddy is half Walker Treeing Hound and half Jack Russell Terrorist. Outside of having to hose him off on a regular basis due to his penchant for wallowing in mud we don't do much in the grooming department.

However I think there would definitely be a place for your services and agree that it would be worth the effort to make it work. My specialty is bicycles, and I almost always have a complete set of tools with me to take care of just about everything.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote