Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
aireseneca's Avatar
 
1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Images: 6
Pets and Grooming

Greetings! I am a first time owner and a professional dog groomer and 30+ year dog show enthusiast. I wondered if in my retirement at a camp ground if there would be interest in having fresh air bath/trims done under the awning of my camper? I can set up with professional portable equipment and do great work even "al fresco." Would this cause a problem with campground management or is there a way to go about setting this up?

BTW, I use equipment that vaccuums the hair as I clip, so no mess-very clean!

Nancy
__________________

aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
I don't know what the camp ground would do but owning 2 Schnauzers I sure could use your services.

I have seen various vendors offering various services at camp grounds, don't know if they asked or not.
__________________

__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,414
We have seen these vendors at campgrounds as well.

Lots of pet owners like professional grooming services. Sounds like a good way to make some money.

I would think the campground owners would need to be consulted.

Good luck!

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
aireseneca's Avatar
 
1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Images: 6
I specialize in terriers!
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 751
Images: 2
Grooming

I would love a groomer in the campground. #7 for a Springer cut!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
RangerJay's Avatar
 
2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 819
Images: 44
Can't say that I have ever seen a dog groomer in a campground - but we sure have had need of their services after camping underneath pines dripping sap!!


Jay
__________________
Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
RUMSHIP's Avatar
 
1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 325
Images: 16
I would think most campgrounds would want a cut of the action. You would be doing a business on their property.
__________________
Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher Johnson McCandless
2/12/68 - 8/18/92
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 904
at our last camping trip there was a mobile RV wash; yet the rules explicitly said 'no RV washing'. I understand the idea might be not to use the parks' water, but i had been hoping it was to preserve the ($50/night) scenery and ambiance and natural atmosphere.

Not to sound stuck up ... but where does it end? RV washing, dog washing... Can I cut hair outside my trailer? Operate an open-air nail salon? A mobile yard sale? Can I set up my portable metal recycling business? Paint your vehicle?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
Not to sound stuck up ... but where does it end? RV washing, dog washing... Can I cut hair outside my trailer? Operate an open-air nail salon? A mobile yard sale? Can I set up my portable metal recycling business? Paint your vehicle?
Do you have a interesting in doing any of these things? I feel you can do anything you want as long as the park rules allow it. If I don't want to be parked next to an open-air nail salon I won't go to that park. I don't think you are anymore stuck up than me, I just don't go to areas where actives are allowed are practiced that I don't care for are illegal. This applies to my daily life also, I don't drive by the corners where the crack dealers are hanging out. I do my best to avoid the panhandlers. The free market will dictate where it ends.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
aireseneca's Avatar
 
1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Images: 6
It takes a village....

I know that there are always bad apples out there. When you go camping, you get the attitude that your site will be left messy, dirty, littered--and all because the opposite of the Good Sam is out there. Roaring generators, smoky fires, screaming children, trashed sites....the list goes on.

It happens in pets also. There are the good responsible folk and then there are the ones you read about in the paper.

Paint me a naif, but I like the idea of an RV "village" with many talents and skills represented by the wide range of people camping. I only hope that my experience could be of help to the group. It's also a great way to start a conversation. Everybody likes to talk about their pets!
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
It's also a great way to start a conversation. Everybody likes to talk about their pets!
Well since you asked, back from the groomer yesterday.
Brothers, Blitz and Wolfgang


__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
herrick51's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 85
We have used mobile groomers for our Havanese while camping. In a Ca state park, the groomer had to pay for a site to cover the cost of water/power that she used. I would think that you might need to work out those issues with the campground management. That said, I think many owners would love to have the service available and convenient!
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
I know that there are always bad apples out there. When you go camping, you get the attitude that your site will be left messy, dirty, littered--and all because the opposite of the Good Sam is out there. Roaring generators, smoky fires, screaming children, trashed sites....the list goes on.

It happens in pets also. There are the good responsible folk and then there are the ones you read about in the paper.

Paint me a naif, but I like the idea of an RV "village" with many talents and skills represented by the wide range of people camping. I only hope that my experience could be of help to the group. It's also a great way to start a conversation. Everybody likes to talk about their pets!
Honey, if you want to do this Go For It, I say!

I have seen mobile dog grooming vans in campgrounds, too, with everything self-contained. Kind of like the mobile RV washer folks you see sometimes,

I think it would be a great way to travel and make a living. You also sound like you have some good sense, and that would help,


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
aireseneca's Avatar
 
1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Well since you asked, back from the groomer yesterday.
Brothers, Blitz and Wolfgang
How good looking! I want to put a balloon over their smug little faces that says, "My daddy takes us out in the Airstream!"
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,846
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Pet Groomer.

Hi, probably not a bad idea, but I think a pet sitter might be better; Or maybe you could do both. My dog gets groomed before a trip and after. Sometimes gets a bath during a trip. [in our trailer]

(1.) Dusty / Boo-Boo after being groomed a few days ago.

(2.) Boo-Boo in our trailer on our Alaska trip.

(3.) Boo-Boo's pet sitter in Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006-25.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	183107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210RS.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	183108  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5209RS.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	183109  
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 621
Love your idea. We have a Havamalt that needs regular grooming. Now that we are retired and spending more time on the road, Sadie gets a little "orphan" looking after a few weeks out. She does get bathed and brushed, but trimmed is a little out of our league. Go for it.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
Schools Out's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 275
Images: 12
I also love your idea. Lizzy gets her "rag-a-muffin" look going after 2 months away from home & her groomer. I would have welcomed a dog grooming service while on the road. Here are our before & after shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	183119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	183120  

Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
aireseneca's Avatar
 
1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Honey, if you want to do this Go For It, I say!

I have seen mobile dog grooming vans in campgrounds, too, with everything self-contained. Kind of like the mobile RV washer folks you see sometimes,

I think it would be a great way to travel and make a living. You also sound like you have some good sense, and that would help,


Maggie
I wouldn't be trying to make a living at it. It is just that I don't do well with nothing to do.... The professionally outfitted groom vans cost $$$$$ and I would just be doing 1-2 pets in a day as supplemental income and as a service.

Folks just LOVE their pets. I just finished watching the Caravan to African last night. Would you believe that one couple took a Min Poodle on this trip? I think it was about the third segment...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...ml#post1285782

At the moment my trailer is at P&S, Helena OH, getting a few post purchase tweaks, one of which includes the exterior shower option in one of the curbside hatches. That would come in handy for bathing pets, esp. with the recirculating bather to minimize water use and ClipperVac Tote to vacc up hair as it's cut to minimize mess. I've got several $400 scissors and all the stuff to do a professional job.

If you love what you do....
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
I wouldn't be trying to make a living at it. It is just that I don't do well with nothing to do.... The professionally outfitted groom vans cost $$$$$ and I would just be doing 1-2 pets in a day as supplemental income and as a service.

Folks just LOVE their pets. I just finished watching the Caravan to African last night. Would you believe that one couple took a Min Poodle on this trip? I think it was about the third segment...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...ml#post1285782

At the moment my trailer is at P&S, Helena OH, getting a few post purchase tweaks, one of which includes the exterior shower option in one of the curbside hatches. That would come in handy for bathing pets, esp. with the recirculating bather to minimize water use and ClipperVac Tote to vacc up hair as it's cut to minimize mess. I've got several $400 scissors and all the stuff to do a professional job.

If you love what you do....
Sounds like you are good to go.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
My travel buddy is half Walker Treeing Hound and half Jack Russell Terrorist. Outside of having to hose him off on a regular basis due to his penchant for wallowing in mud we don't do much in the grooming department.

However I think there would definitely be a place for your services and agree that it would be worth the effort to make it work. My specialty is bicycles, and I almost always have a complete set of tools with me to take care of just about everything.

Aaron
__________________

__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.