Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
They did tell me, if I would leave my Airstream (occupied or not) in the site until the end of the month, I would get my deposit back.
That makes no sense. Why not return your deposit and rent the site to someone else? They've already been paid for the two months.
I'm not sure what a deposit covers at a RV park anyway. In an apartment you could rip the carpet or punch holes in the walls. I guess you could knock over the power post and break the water spigot?

My experience with monthly rent was good, it was much less expensive than daily, and the only snag was I had to pay for the electric. However, they usually forgot to read the meter, and I rarely paid extra anyway.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Sorry that happened to you Peter.
Nice project by the way, I would have enjoyed spending so much time amongst that collection, reckon you enjoy them yourself.

And a question for the readers here.
Just so I understand why is it that folks that are not good for their word or are unethical in there way s of dealing with customers, are protected from exposure in a tight community that could well end up doing business with them?
Is there some sort of liability concern for our host?

The fact that people are shielded from exposure in a case like this just lets them continue the practice with no concequences.
And doesn't allow us to avoid them.

Thanks Richard
Richard, thank you for your kind words.

I am the one at fault, by trusting that they would offer me their best rate after explaining my situation. I went to the RV Park 3 weeks prior to my arrival to make sure it was suitable and clean. I read the rules, but never caught on to that line of occupancy and that it would violate the agreement and cause the loss of a 250.- deposit. I signed up for 2 full month, instead I just should have signed up for the first month and renew the second on different terms. ( I learned while waiting in the office, the rate would have been at a winter texan rate almost 30% below my price)
It makes no sense, since they gain by me not being there anymore, but it still does not give me the right to publicly slander them, nor put the host of this forum in a liability situation.
I hope that my experience will make others aware of similar situations, not just with this RV Park. Ask what happens if and when and get it in writing.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Though not feasible....

It would have been interesting to just drive away, pull out, without actually checking out. Then go back at the end of the month for the deposit.

Wonder what would have been different then.

Sometimes worker bees just have to go by the black and white rules and are not allowed to apply logic to the circumstances.

A Google review stating the honest information and a pre-emptive warning for other campers (not a bash or rant) might make the owners take note of how that policy is not working in all circumstances.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
Aspiring Airstream F/T'er

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Unhappy Read the Fine Print

Hi There,

I was just looking at your post about the park making you lose your deposit and was thinking "I am thankful that this guy posted about that! As a trusting person at heart I would have done exactly the same thing and just trusted what they told me just as you did." So you are not alone.

This just serves to remind me that I need to be sure to send the contract to my attorney before signing any agreement when we stay at an RV park. (At least I can have them do that for free!)

Sorry you had that trouble, man. I guess the take-away's are "buyer beware" and "don't trust any park manager at what they say" plus (as you said) "get any exceptions to the contract in writing" and lastly, send it to an attorney to review the document for these kind of traps.

I also agree with the other people who posted that it makes more sense to just let you go and re-rent the spot to someone else. PLUS why tick off a community of users who are likely to share the information and maybe stay away from their property?

Happy Thanksgiving, nonetheless.
Blessings,
Tim
radio-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
At least everyone was waving like mad when we left
Happy Thanksgiving everyone and Happy Trails !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Cartoon.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	299680  
AIR #13
Old 11-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
agree
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Sounds like they are more concerned about having empty spots than happy customers. None of this is logical. You didn’t ask for half your second month rent back, so what’s their loss?
Hi

When you look at the number of empty spaces at most of these places .... they aren't going to rent it to somebody else. They (obviously) don't get a lot of repeat business either ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
. . .
I hope that my experience will make others aware of similar situations, not just with this RV Park.
. . .
Still hoping you could at least post the city, so that others could be aware of possible risks, when passing through that area . . .

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #29
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Still hoping you could at least post the city, so that others could be aware of possible risks, when passing through that area . . .

Thanks,

Peter
My extended work vacation location is public knowledge and can be seen by anyone who looks at my recent posts.

Here is the legal issue:
You have to sign a non-disparagement agreement when you check in AKA you're not allowed to write a bad review about them.

Here is another persons experience and review:
>>The park itself is beautiful but the staff is awful and I think their policies are questionable. I was not refunded my deposit from the park because "I left before my time was up". I had to have my travel trailer towed away due to complete total from a flood. On top of that I was away for three days and no one notified me that my brand new trailer was no longer inhabitable. I understand the no refunds under any circumstances but I hardly think an act of god destroying it is something I should be accountable for. Did they expect me to just sit out there on the lot? The staff is rude and has no idea what they are doing. The office manager told me for 6 months I would be getting my refund until the owner told me I wasn't getting a cent back.<<
AIR #13
Old 11-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the leads. Some pretty bad reviews for a couple of RV parks in that city. Good to research ahead of time, I guess, is the take-away for us. Thanks again for the warnings.

Nice restoration work on that historical home!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Litchfield , Maine
Report them

When things like this happen I have found that a letter to the States Attorney General and as many consumer groups as possible can be every effective. Others many have complained and sometimes there is a tipping point where action can happens.
JDHinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
[QUOTE=PeterH-Airstreamer;2037614]I just completed an out-of-town job staying in an RV Park on a monthly rate.
Prior to signing the rental agreement, .

I would not have signed a rental agreement in the first place for that short of time, now you just have to chalk it up to unfair treatment because you signed an agreement and did not get everything in writing. About the best you can do is online in all social media what occured, file a complaint with BBB, State agency, but it is still going to come back to that agreement
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
CBS News December 20, 2017 story about a woman suing a hotel for a refund of a $350 charge for a bad review.
Interesting quote in this story:

[I]National consumer watchdog Jason Brown said many companies still aren't aware they can't retaliate against customers for reviewing their business.
"It is illegal, unethical for businesses to charge consumers or threaten legal action," said Brown. "Currently only Yelp warns consumers of this this practice. Consumers should continue to write truthful reviews."

One option would be to contact the Attorney Generals office in the state this took place and file a consumer complaint.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
The monthly fee in Redwood City just south of SF is 2500.00 to 3000.00 for a full hook up site
Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
In Colorado the state law is if you stay less than 30 days you shall pay the state tax We paid for s month the first time we traveled in Colorado and close to the end of the month told them that we were going to leave they then told about the law and if we left early the tax would have been over 200.00 more so we stayed. When traveling though Rome one must follow their laws. Or pay