Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Landing a Remote Job - Lessons Learned

I recently went through the long and arduous process of searching for (and landing) a remote job. I'm not a recruiting expert, but this is what I learned from the experience. I hope it helps some of you that are hunting for a remote job:

My new, remote, job is a regular job at a regular company with paid benefits, salary, and it's pretty traditional, aside from the fact that I can do it from anywhere.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I look forward to seeing your video when I get home today. I, too, have been searching for something I can do remotely. I have 7-10 years left until retirement and would so enjoy a change of scenery while I am working.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
explorer

Currently Looking...
Cool. I hope it helps. I sure wish I had that advice before setting out. Most of it is a mindset. In my experience, it's about 10x harder to land a remote job than a local job.

However, knowing what to expect will really help your attitude and ability to persevere.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
I recently went through the long and arduous process of searching for (and landing) a remote job. I'm not a recruiting expert, but this is what I learned from the experience. I hope it helps some of you that are hunting for a remote job:

My new, remote, job is a regular job at a regular company with paid benefits, salary, and it's pretty traditional, aside from the fact that I can do it from anywhere.
Congratulations!

May your travel life expand.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Steve and Tess congrats on the mobile job. You guys are doing well and your patience is paying off.

There's another thread here, something like "how you make a living on the road" and it might be another good place to post this.

Hopefully Tess will keep her shears sharp and maybe there's a multi state licencing or donation jar and she can be the Boondock Barber Beautician Photoshoot Stylist.

Enjoy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
explorer

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Steve and Tess congrats on the mobile job. You guys are doing well and your patience is paying off.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
There's another thread here, something like "how you make a living on the road" and it might be another good place to post this.
Cool, I'll search that thread out. I believe it was started by Boldadventure? I'll check it out and add the video there too.

Quote:
Hopefully Tess will keep her shears sharp and maybe there's a multi state licencing or donation jar and she can be the Boondock Barber Beautician Photoshoot Stylist.
Hah, you crack me up. She'll be bringing her shears and gear to do hair on the road. We're looking into legalities right now regarding licensing in different states. It looks like she should be able to get reciprocity in a bunch of different states. If not, she can always do haircuts for free with a tip/donation jar.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Panhandle , West Virginia
Love your vids - glad to see you posting! I'm saving the link so my wife and I can watch this evening over dinner
Resolute_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I can't believe you are not happy with the American dream of owning a house, paying property taxes, maintenance, commuting 5 days a week, then having to spend the weekends on the honey do list to keep your American dream from falling apart and planning for that 2 week vacation that will not come for another six months. Working remote? That doesn't sound like fun.

Kelvin
Old 05-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
explorer

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I can't believe you are not happy with the American dream of owning a house, paying property taxes, maintenance, commuting 5 days a week, then having to spend the weekends on the honey do list to keep your American dream from falling apart and planning for that 2 week vacation that will not come for another six months. Working remote? That doesn't sound like fun.
I know, right!?!