Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I am a national sales manager for a manufacturer of image sensors. The wife is a part time PT. I travel around the country about 1/3 of my working life. When I am not doing that I work from home.

We kitted out the airstream so I can use it as an office and we tend to go away on a Thursday night and come home on a Monday once every 3 weeks.

So we don't do to bad!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #42
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I'm getting good at trading stock options. I hesitate to mention this as I am not ready to discuss methodology yet. There are ways to get a better return on your investment money if you educate yourself.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #43
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
I'm getting good at trading stock options. I hesitate to mention this as I am not ready to discuss methodology yet. There are ways to get a better return on your investment money if you educate yourself.
We do index fund dividend investing ourselves to supplement.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #44

for those who haven't explored Technomadia's world, there is also their site RVMobileInternet.com, which I find very informative. I wonder how much has changed since this thread was initiated? Connectivity has improved in a lot of areas in California.
Suzabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I saw a website the other day that looks to link RV parks up with people who are willing to work at the park for free rent basically. I'm not sure how well it works but might be worth looking into. Has anyone tried Workamper?
thelongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #46
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I just landed my first remote job, which will allow us to become full-timers.

I just landed a job at a big company that you've heard of, doing what I've been doing for the past 10 years. Only now I get to do it remotely, from wherever I want that has a strong internet connection.

I have certain financial goals, and I wanted to make sure I was able to save enough for retirement in the future, so I was extremely picky in my remote job search.

I'm an instructional designer. I design and build learning/training for internal employees. I love my job, and I'm excited to be able to have a regular, salaried job with benefits and the option to roam.

Someone suggested I post my video here. Mike, if it's off-topic and you'd like me to remove it, I'd be happy to. I figure it may help someone here, so I might as well share it. It covers my experience searching for a remote job, and lessons learned from the experience.

explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm happy for you, and think posting it here is an excellent idea.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Thanks for the video Explore More. I've been following your YouTube channel for a while, and it's great to see you are now on your way. I will follow your tips, starting with a better resume. Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Excellent video and suggestions. Glad you were able to find the job you were looking for.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #50
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
It's tough out there. I'd say it's 10x tougher to land a mobile/remote job. The competition is so tough, so you really have to go above and beyond.

It was so frustrating applying for jobs where the application process took 45 minutes alone. I stopped creating cover letters. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not, but if my portfolio and resume don't speak for themselves, no cover letter is going to get me in the door.

It was crazy the hoops I had to jump through for some of these companies. I did a 50 minute phone "intervie" where a robot was reading pre-recorded answers to me and it recorded my reponses. It didn't even feel like I was talking to a human, and it threw me off so bad. It was ugly.

The hirevue interview videos weren't bad, I liked those. For a couple companies I had to create projects, where I pretty much handed them free work. That was frustrating.

I probably spent 10-15 hours a week applying for jobs for a few months. Granted, I was picky, and I was looking for a very specific type of job/company, so your results might be better.

If the CEOs of these companies had to go through the application process themselves, like the rest of us, they'd be appalled. I really appreciate the jobs where you just send them your resume and answer 5-10 questions max.

The hiring process really reflects on the company you're working for. I believe if they have a good hiring process, they probably have other good policies/processes. If it's a mess with endless hoops to jump through and red tape, I took it as a sign of things to come. If you think about it, the application process is really the first impression you give a potential employee. It blows my mind why some companies make you put in every single job you've had line by line, with references, etc. One online college I applied to had at least 15 pages to fill out, which took nearly an hour, then it would time out when you'd get to page 14 and you'd have to start over. SO FRUSTRATING!
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm glad I'm at the last company I'll work for before retiring. I worked for a company for 21years and before it went bankrupt I was laid off. Welcome to the world of online resumes and applications. I was like you, spending hours perfecting one online job application after another. After about a year I got a job in my field. That job lasted about 7 years and got laid off again. This time I was 62 and decided I would look for work for 6 months and if nothing come up I'd start collecting Social Security. My wife still worked and could provide health insurance. So instead of spending a lot of time on each application I just slammed them through. After I got enough resumes and applications sent out for the week to satisfy the unemployment insurance requirements I would relax the rest of the week. About 3 months into the job search the company I work for now called me. I remember submitting my information the first week of my job search but had forgotten all about it.

Worked out well, as we were attending my daughter's graduation from nursing school and on the way back home I stopped into the company's headquarters to have the personal interview and a week or so later was offered the position.

We moved from Texas to Missouri. I like the job enough to work past 66 if required.
Kelvin
Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #52
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Great video, and excellent pointers. Applying to 100 jobs is a go-getter attitude when you mentioned that in Slack I knew you'd land it in time. Congratulations Steve.

I know too many who are looking for that perfect job and don't try as hard as you did. To touch on your point about making sure the job isn't stressful and the hours are what you want, is really important.

When I started this thread, JorDanee had been at Basecamp for only a few months working remotely. That job turned out to be miserable for her. And I told her she had to quit this Christmas. The job interfered with our dreams and what we wanted to do on the road for the first year. My wife is a bit of a work-a-holic, and she couldn't step away from the computer for a single minute.

I did not realize I started this thread in 2014. Today, I work remotely, and both the wife and I are working towards moving back into the entrepreneurial space. I left my business behind in 2012 burned out. It's been great the past couple of years just not having to wear all the hats, having kids, traveling. But the itch is back, and we are working this summer towards launching our own business. Actually, more than one.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
exploremore......I liked your video and thank you for posting it! I am in the process of starting up a company in the RV industry that will allow me to work in a mobile environment and I also support small companies with accounting and can do that work remotely as well.

I agree....it's difficult to get the "attention" of a company and show them who you really are when it's all so automated. I haven't found flexjobs to be that helpful either. I am glad you mentioned them in the video.

Congratulations on landing a great job and on your new Airstream. Your video documenting when you picked it up is great as well!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Grand Junction , Colorado
Awesome to read so many making it work out on the road. We sold our Winery and are hitting the road as winemaking consultants, general business consultants, and travel writers. New business let's hope it works out!

www.tinsheets.com
www.tinsheetstothewind.com
TinSheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #55

1972 Argosy 22
Dallas , Texas
I operate one of only a couple of remaining Carnival Wall of Death Thrill Shows left in America. We live on the Road from March until October.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianut View Post
I operate one of only a couple of remaining Carnival Wall of Death Thrill Shows left in America. We live on the Road from March until October.

Just had to share this song. By Richard Thompson, who is arguably one of the finest living guitarists in the world.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Huge kudos to Indianut for keeping a tradition alive and to Piggy Bank for an absolutely perfect tribute by one of the greatest to ever tell a story in song! Dang I love this community! 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
Awesome! I hope I get to see your show someday. Kudos to you and thanks for sharing that great photo (also thanks to the member who posted the youtube video, too). I am enjoying this thread a lot.

87 Argosy 33 F since April 2010
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianut View Post

MY PEOPLE!

Save
fairtheewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #60

Currently Looking...
Brighton , Michigan
I am new to this site and I am a nurse and interested in travel nursing 3-6mo contracts. i will be purchasing an Airstream. Do you live full time in your Airstream? How far is your drive to work usually? How many hospitals do you rotate to? Do you have more than 2 state licenses? Thank you!
lmileto is offline   Reply With Quote