Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

APPLETON , Wisconsin
I'm diggin' your blog, Sarah!

"Simply waiting for tomorrow to live our lives is not a bargain we want to make..."

Ditto and YES, to this!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I have a very narrow modest niche - I restore headlights (H1's and H4's) and turn signals for concours and museum level vintage Porsches (the longhoods from 1965-1973). I don't full-time but can be out for several months at a stretch. I'm able to bring along the tools I need, sit under the awning, and do my work.

My wife and I also volunteer as interpretive hosts at National and State Parks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	225482  

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGAL View Post
We have been "grounded" by medical and family issues, but are getting back into the Argosy next week for a 5 month stint in an Amazon warehouse up in Coffeyville. I also work as a search engine rater for a company called LeapForce, that's all done online. I write for bubblews.com - that's more fun than money, but the money is always welcome. Hubby is retired, so we have that income, but I'm still a few years away from any sort of retirement income, so I have just worked a lot on finding things to do that don't tie me to a single location. Well, Amazon does that for a few months, but it's a way to earn enough in a short time to move on and do something else when it's over.

I've heard the Amazon gigs can be very physically taxing. Does the pay offset that?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
An interesting prospective and well done blog!
As a working photographer you will know that making a living at it is not as easy as it seems. That said, it looks to me like you always have the ability to go to a "plan-B" if needed. So have fun with your new adventure and remember it's the photograph that no one else has that is worth taking!

Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
We are in our mid-thirties and will be starting to be part-time full-timers in about a month (just waiting for the dealer to make an upgrade on a 2011 25FB that we are purchasing). This will be our second stint of part-time full-time travel (last time we did it from an SUV, I continued working but my partner took three years off and lived off savings). This time, we want to take along our cats and both work from the road, which is why we are buying the Airstream.

Our situation – he is a software developer who is 100% remote. I am a nonprofit consultant with a few long-term clients. I have a busy spring and fall but can otherwise control my schedule and have created my business with the goal of being able to work remotely a lot of the time. I am not ready to give up my consulting practice and our house yet, which is the main reason we are part-timers for now.

We are also landscape photographers and publishing three e-books last year helped pay for a substantial part of our Airstream. I am slowly giving up more and more of my consulting practice to work on building our photography business because then we could be entirely remote (even though I still do not think I want to be on the road 100% of the time). We have found a lot of opportunity in self-publishing and it is probably where I will focus most of my energy.

During our last travel stint, we never had an issue with connectivity. I was always able to find enough of a signal to do my job. With Ron needing to have constant connectivity during work hours, I think we are in for more of a challenge. Still, I recently had full 3G in the backcountry of Death Valley National Park, on a remote Olympic Coast beach (backpacking in), and deep in the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument in Arizona. These improvements in service at these kinds of places gives me hope that we will be able to do a lot of wild camping like we have been doing.

Best wishes in finding an arrangement that will allow you the opportunity to work remotely and get on the road!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
This thread is a good start! There has to be many more thoughts on how to make a living from the road or at least part time. My wife and I are in our mid-30's with a 4.5 year old. Our 23' International Serenity is en route to Orlando from Albany and we can't wait to get on the road. This will replace our 1207 Jayco Popup which we've enjoyed immensely for the past 2 years. I'm a homebuilder so am having a hard time coming up with ideas on how to work remotely. I certainly don't have any IT skills... Initially we will accept (2) 1-week trips per my company's vacation policy. We'll also hit the beach spots on the weekends.

I'm confident that our first Airstream in the driveway will inspire me to figure something out! Looking forward to joining the club!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I worked construction for a number of years. Cut expenses, and save cash. Then find a way to take your skills and your passion and combine them. One thought, if you're a homebuilder, you're probably handy.

rvrepairstream.com comes to mind, he's a mobile RV/Airstream/Travel Trailer mechanic/repair guy.

I don't think he full times, but it's just one more idea.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I worked construction for a number of years. Cut expenses, and save cash. Then find a way to take your skills and your passion and combine them. One thought, if you're a homebuilder, you're probably handy.

rvrepairstream.com comes to mind, he's a mobile RV/Airstream/Travel Trailer mechanic/repair guy.

I don't think he full times, but it's just one more idea.
Definitely sound advice. Cutting expenses and saving cash definitely are a start. More to follow. Enjoying the various threads on this site.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
I've heard the Amazon gigs can be very physically taxing. Does the pay offset that?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Better a gate guard in the oilfield. Not easy but some seniority makes for good pay. I've met many and some of them do well based on their demeanor. Andy Jones has a blog and forum worth looking into. Their are season types and those riding it for a few years. The latter can genuinely bank money.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Funny to return to this thread several months later. I still work for the same company, but they finally let me, and a number of others go remote. I've been working remote since February and I've been working fulltime on the road for 9 days now.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Congrats BoldAdventure! I must have missed that momentous day. It's great your company has approved of remote work - hey, as long as the work gets done, what's the problem? Obviously the onus is on you while in the field. I don't have the online marketable skills you and others have. We have a property income that helps and we haven't seriously looked for work while on the road because we're due back home in CA to help our youngest get settled but will do so afterward so as not to drain the nest egg. I think in our case, we've found that we like to find a small town that has the essentials for us: a great disperse camping spot, a dump and drinking water, post office, library, good cafe, good grocery store. We've found that one can find a job in these small towns because often they can't find reliable workers or the younger people are moving out. I can't help you with your connectivity needs but we're more confident now that there are jobs out there in small town western USA and we just have to find a good dry camping spot to stay away from the crowds and obviously, save on camping fees. Good luck on your great new adventure!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
For a slight detour, I'm interested in finding seasonal employment in the non camping months... other than the Amazon gigs, just wondering if anyone had found part time employment that is short in duration but allows you to supplement your retirement income? Not retired yet, but hopefully one day..... really just want to work enough to have camping money the rest of the year

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #26
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Funny to return to this thread several months later. I still work for the same company, but they finally let me, and a number of others go remote. I've been working remote since February and I've been working fulltime on the road for 9 days now.
Good for you!

Maggie
Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Our church denomination has an organization called Laborers For Christ. We are mostly retired guys who help Lutheran congregations with their building projects. We are paid whatever the minimum wage is in the State we're in so that we are covered by workman's comp. The congregation also provides a FHU site for each RV. Usually that is on-site, but sometimes it is some distance away. Projects generally run a couple of months to a year.

Once our place sells we're planning on working 1/3, volunteering 1/3, and relaxing 1/3.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #28
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
Airstream PhotoBooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysemmens View Post
<snip>
I have a Photo Booth company so we're thinking of building a small open booth to take with us and run it at festivals/markets etc for some extra cash <snip>
I've heard of an Airstream PhotoBooth! Is that you?