Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Ocala , Florida
Full time work inspecting natural gas lines

The company I work for is hiring gas line inspectors. This is a full time position, not an independent contractor, but a great company with full benefits. We travel country wide. Below is a link to my blog for a post that describes what I do. It's how I make my living AND get to live full time in my airstream. I feel that there are a lot of you on the forums who may be looking for something just like this so wanted to spread the word.

Airstream Tales and Trails: Walkin' The Line

Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Thanks for posting this. How long are you usually in one area?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Ocala , Florida
Usually 2 to 4 months at a time. Just long enough to get to know the locals and the community but short enough to still move onto another locale and keep the adventure going. We all stay south or southeast in the winter then head to the Northeast, Dakotas and Utah in the summer.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Great Blog! How about a bit of info on the company you work for? Unless i missed it...
I'm a bit interested now. I've kind of "hit a wall" so to speak, in my 20th year as a technician with Coca-Cola. Maybe a career change is in order. We already full time in our 34' Limited, the least we could do is put a little more travel in with our work!

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Ocala , Florida
The company is called Southern Cross Corp. They're headquartered in Norcross, GA just outside of Atlanta but work in 38 states. You can find them on the Google. The careers tab will fill ya in much better and easier than I can here. Feel free to message me with any questions.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Ocala , Florida
Yes Tru. I assume you're on a route. It may be a nice change, and not as hurried. We intentionally slow down to do a thorough job. The best part is the variety, from residential to transmission lines - my favorite. Basically being paid to hike or ride an ATV through the woods over the gas line and power easements. I'm in rural middle Tennessee right now and lovin' it.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
field technician

There is a lot about the company on google and not a lot is good. Doesn't look like pay is great either. Am not seeing the whole picture here?
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Streamdream, not sure why you are trying to rain on the OPs plans. To me the major benefit to the OP is the ability to travel and not be stuck in one place. Sounds like a good vagabond gig to me.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Streamdream, not sure why you are trying to rain on the OPs plans. To me the major benefit to the OP is the ability to travel and not be stuck in one place. Sounds like a good vagabond gig to me.
He posted about the job opportunity and I was following up on it checking it out to see if it was a viably option for me. Didn't see a lot of good and was asking for more details about the job. If you would read his original post you would see that. He already works for them. If it works for him how am I raining on his parade?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamdreamn View Post
He posted about the job opportunity and I was following up on it checking it out to see if it was a viably option for me. Didn't see a lot of good and was asking for more details about the job. If you would read his original post you would see that. He already works for them. If it works for him how am I raining on his parade?

New guy, it was a joke and you go and get all serious, lighten up.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
That might be a fit for me in a couple of years.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Ocala , Florida
I wanted to update the thread. The company's spring and summer contracts are coming in. I was told by my project manager earlier this week that we will need 10 new technicians as soon as possible. Check out my blog post below about the job and if it's something that's up your alley let me know. I'll message you my phone number and give you the details then get you in contact with our recruiter.

http://airstreamtalesandtrails.blogs...lkin-line.html
Old 05-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
here is a link i found to Southern Cross application. It has pay and per diem info as well..

https://southerncrossjobs.clickandhi...ions&jobNo=174

Sounds like a good opportunity for the right person (s). Not sure how this works say for a couple, do both get hired and work in same location or not?..

more question that maybe PepTheDog could shed some light on.

what are work hrs.?

Are you sorta like a independent person and can work when you want, ie start at noon and go to evening or start early and stop at noonish to avoid heat is some areas.

OR is it more a normal work day 8-5, M-F or can you do more longer hrs less days.. do 10 hr days 4 days week etc.

When you get an assignment how long do you have to get there and other than pay are they, SC, helpful in securing RV parking locations. (some areas can be popular and spots hard to find.)

I see from the blogs it appers you work southern area winter, go north summer time for the most part is that correct.?

I read another article with a guy and his wife that do hearing test for companies and they travel around in a MH and the company tractor trailer for testing.. They boondock at the company's location just needing some power and maybe water. Is something like that possible if needed to wait for a spot.

Are you walking doing this mainly in residential areas?? You drive personal vehicle to location and walk around checking lines in street and up to house?

PS love your blog.. i went back to start and it a great story.. still not all the way through.. at the point where you just got truck and AS.. i forget blogs are newest first so i have seen the "spinning date" story which is cool.

thanks
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Glad it works with your goals!