Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I used to see a retired husband and wife who team up to do inspections of cellular antenna locations across the county. Their work amounts to reviewing the locations of the towers, verifying that the proper exposure warning signs are posted and then they take some radiation readings around the tower and transmitter equipment to verify that radiation standards are being met. They have a motorhome and enjoy the work. I would see the guy every couple of years when he would inspect the AT&T antenna's that were mounted on our building and inside. Only downside of the job is that the access to some antenna's are out on roof's which in our case required him to climb up a 25' ladder to the roof top hatch. His wife stayed down below and handled the paper work. I used to go up with him just to understand what he was looking at and to see the readings for myself. My building maintenance folks used to have some trepidations about the warning signs so I knew exactly where you could walk and where you couldn't.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
If I wanted to go full time and work some this would be the job for me. I have 35 years of pin pointing gas leaks digging them up and fixing them here in Ohio.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #23
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Kevin I hear you on the taxes. I work for a large software company with lots of consulting resources that travel to work at a customer site. Never came up until last year. Rumor is that one of the west coast states did an audit. It was not pretty. And most states, while they may not ever catch it, want their pound of flesh from folks that work in the state.

Interesting side note is just last week there was a Supreme Court decision on just this type of topic where Maryland was involved in multi-state income tax credits and lost. Maryland prepares for $200 million hit from Supreme Court tax case - The Washington Post

And thanks for your contribution to the forum. Great information.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
bet it was the bankrupt state called calliefornia. Cant get enough money for the poor citizen so lets ambush the out of state works that come here.. Dam shame how they try to screw over everyone else.

I did not read the article.

OK just read the article.. looks like the practice of states trying to take your money from out of state employment are limited or reduced at least.

wonder how callieforina will react to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Kevin I hear you on the taxes. I work for a large software company with lots of consulting resources that travel to work at a customer site. Never came up until last year. Rumor is that one of the west coast states did an audit. It was not pretty. And most states, while they may not ever catch it, want their pound of flesh from folks that work in the state.

Interesting side note is just last week there was a Supreme Court decision on just this type of topic where Maryland was involved in multi-state income tax credits and lost. Maryland prepares for $200 million hit from Supreme Court tax case - The Washington Post

And thanks for your contribution to the forum. Great information.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
you worked for the gas company there in OH? sounds like the deal for you if you wanted to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
If I wanted to go full time and work some this would be the job for me. I have 35 years of pin pointing gas leaks digging them up and fixing them here in Ohio.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Hiawassee , Georgia
Let's see. I'll answer and comment in the order of posts below my last one.

We went full-time in June 2013.

Margo does work at the KOA now. She's a retired dental hygienist and is working now for extra $ and something to do. The survey thing isn't her cup of tea. She likes outside recreation but not working outside full time and that's a point I want to make. This job isn't for everyone. If you don't truly like being outside in good weather and crappy then you won't like the job. I think it's really important to like what you do and I tell people to really think about it before jumping in. Heaven for me is walking a country road in the morning with the cows and it's those times I feel lucky to have found the job.

Future projects may be known 6 months ahead but not necessarily staffing so unfortunately you can't really expect them to give you a lot of lead time on your next job. Typically you'll know a few weeks in advance from one to the next. To be fair though, I will mention that I've gotten a phone call on a few occasions asking if I could leave for a new assignment almost immediately. When that happens it's due to an emergency somewhere and the company reimburses you for any unusual expenses like prepaid RV park rent, etc. The more travelers we hire the less likely that will happen.

The techs that take the winter off actually leave the job and then are re-hired. I guess from an HR standpoint they have to do it that way. Every one that wants to come back is hired back.

Training is done at the closest ongoing project to where you are when they hire you. I was hired from Florida and chose to go to HQ in Georgia for my training because I wanted to meet everyone and see the building etc. We have projects all over so it probably isn't a very great distance for anyone to travel. You do have to be mobile at that time. The $500.00 bonus is paid to you 4 weeks after you're hired - after 2 weeks training then after the first 2 weeks you are working. That bonus is meant to pay you back for getting yourself to your training assignment and it IS taxable income. They used to pay it up front but got ripped off a few times so changed it.

As for income taxes. I trust they they're doing the right thing. I guess just like with any other employer you would work for. It was important to me to check this out really good when I got started which is the main reason I actually went to the main office and met everyone. I didn't look for any diplomas on the walls but I trust the HR people I talked to are skilled. They outsource the payroll portion to a company called Oasis. Never miss a check and never had any problems with filing my taxes. Interestingly, we don't do any work in California. From what I've heard it's a union state and the labor costs are too high so our company doesn't look for contracts there. There may be more to it than that but I'm not privy to that info - at least until I take over and run the place myself :-)
Pepthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Hiawassee , Georgia
Oh yeah, Car.

Thanks for checking out the blog. We've had a lot of fun with it over the years and both write posts. Mine always start with "Hey folks" and her's usually end with "In-Joy as a salutation.

Message me your e-mail address and I'll put you in my G-mail list for future posts.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
thanks guys..

i did sign up on website already. I understand about this not being margo "cup o tea". when talking with my wife she feels the same way a bit, but time will tell on that. I work out doors myself.. i own a chimney service business and carpet cleaning (have tech for that) so we are on ladders and roofs a bit. Now when it get hot its hard to be slogging around in the heat but it not all bad.

In reading the blog it looked like you are going to the same locations a couple of time, Nashville, and Salt Lake city Provo area and the out of the blue deal like Virginia Beach..

When you are the lead tech do that come with a bit more money or just a fancy title?? also in your two ish years have there been pay raises.. for all stuff, the pre diem and traveling rates? also do you find the .82 rate when moving covering cost like fuel etc.. ( what is MPG with Hank towing vs non towing.) and does everyone get the nice door placard i see from the flood pictures.. man i bet that was hairy..

sorry for so many questions.. I am trying to formulate a plan to get us on the road in 3ish vs 6ish years from now.

carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepthedog View Post
Oh yeah, Car.

Thanks for checking out the blog. We've had a lot of fun with it over the years and both write posts. Mine always start with "Hey folks" and her's usually end with "In-Joy as a salutation.

Message me your e-mail address and I'll put you in my G-mail list for future posts.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that a good deal,, working at the KOA, she get to be out of the unit interacting with other humans, dogs can only do so much, and make a bit a cash for the cause. Does that give a discount on the space and such..?? I guess when it comes time to leave she will be unemployed for a while.. how about other locations and other KOA, wonder if that gives her a leg up if they need help..

My wife comes from a executive secretary/ small business owners background so running a campground would be right up her ally..

I do appreciate your input and posts on this deal.

Do you know the areas the company has contract in.. I see that california is out, no big deal to me. any idea how many other guy do the same thing here. and why the big hire need.. business getting better or folks dropping out.

one more thing.. on the days the weather is bad and you have to say in do you get paid or not and who keep up with your hours, miles, miles to new locations . you do direct deposit..

happy memorial day !!!

ps how many hours a week you average.. is you don't mind my asking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepthedog View Post
Let's see. I'll answer and comment in the order of posts below my last one.

We went full-time in June 2013.

Margo does work at the KOA now. She's a retired dental hygienist and is working now for extra $ and something to do. The survey thing isn't her cup of tea. She likes outside recreation but not working outside full time and that's a point I want to make. This job isn't for everyone. If you don't truly like being outside in good weather and crappy then you won't like the job. I think it's really important to like what you do and I tell people to really think about it before jumping in. Heaven for me is walking a country road in the morning with the cows and it's those times I feel lucky to have found the job.

Future projects may be known 6 months ahead but not necessarily staffing so unfortunately you can't really expect them to give you a lot of lead time on your next job. Typically you'll know a few weeks in advance from one to the next. To be fair though, I will mention that I've gotten a phone call on a few occasions asking if I could leave for a new assignment almost immediately. When that happens it's due to an emergency somewhere and the company reimburses you for any unusual expenses like prepaid RV park rent, etc. The more travelers we hire the less likely that will happen.

The techs that take the winter off actually leave the job and then are re-hired. I guess from an HR standpoint they have to do it that way. Every one that wants to come back is hired back.

Training is done at the closest ongoing project to where you are when they hire you. I was hired from Florida and chose to go to HQ in Georgia for my training because I wanted to meet everyone and see the building etc. We have projects all over so it probably isn't a very great distance for anyone to travel. You do have to be mobile at that time. The $500.00 bonus is paid to you 4 weeks after you're hired - after 2 weeks training then after the first 2 weeks you are working. That bonus is meant to pay you back for getting yourself to your training assignment and it IS taxable income. They used to pay it up front but got ripped off a few times so changed it.

As for income taxes. I trust they they're doing the right thing. I guess just like with any other employer you would work for. It was important to me to check this out really good when I got started which is the main reason I actually went to the main office and met everyone. I didn't look for any diplomas on the walls but I trust the HR people I talked to are skilled. They outsource the payroll portion to a company called Oasis. Never miss a check and never had any problems with filing my taxes. Interestingly, we don't do any work in California. From what I've heard it's a union state and the labor costs are too high so our company doesn't look for contracts there. There may be more to it than that but I'm not privy to that info - at least until I take over and run the place myself :-)
Old 05-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Hiawassee , Georgia
The KOA work experience is a good thing. She can pretty much work at any KOA now since she has the computer system down pat. They give you an option of working for a break in the rent or paying a regular hourly wage. We decided on the hourly wage since she's the one working the hours and we felt that was more fair to her.

Business is booming which is the reason for the new hires. We need more, more more. It's hard for me to say where the contracts are at any given point - not being in the HQ office. I do know we have had long standing contracts in Nashville, the Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kansas, the Dakotas and Utah. It changes from year to year. I've been back to TN twice and Utah twice but different parts of the states. Both occasions because the gas company I worked with asked for me back. That's a good thing in my mind. If I REALLY want to go somewhere different I would probably be able to.

I work 40 hours a week all year. We can't work in the pouring rain or real wet conditions so I do lose a day occasionally to rain. Not passing showers, we just take a break in the truck and wait for them to pass. Weather systems that prevent us from working for the whole week do happen (TN ice storm and VA hurricane to name a couple). In this case the company pays a weather guarantee of 24 hours if you get rained out for the week. Granted, it's not a full weeks pay but I think a good compromise. You still get the $200.00 per diem so still a great deal in my opinion.

I'm glancing up to your post for your questions.. We have direct deposit and we keep up with our own mileage. We submit an expense report every week and it's paid on the next payday - each Friday.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
you worked for the gas company there in OH? sounds like the deal for you if you wanted to do it.
Yes I did. It was a great job while it lasted. The last ten years or so ago more and more college educated people came in that never had to work in the field and thought they could run the company from a computer keyboard, what a joke. Anyway, our three kids and their families live within 150 miles of us. My wife likes cool weather so northern Ohio in winter and farther north in summer is her preference. Beside all that we both really like retirement.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
SO kevin,,

it been a couple weeks now and it appears the weather has gotten HOT up there in UTAH.. i know it hot here in NC as well. Guess you dont have the 72 dew point we have to deal with and the 95 degree days..

With this project starting to wind down any idea where you might be heading next?

have you heard any more from HQ about needing more people in the field? man i wish we could jump in an RV and head your way.

anywho hope all is well and happy.. sounds like utah was a hoot.

You are not a big blogger like some of the guys i follow.. its like twitter sometime with 3-4 post a day.. I'm thinking they should get a job or take a walk.

thanks again
Carl

ps does the foreman title get you a raise?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
come on dude where are you.. you hit it hard for a while now nada. lacky..
Old 08-14-2015, 05:15 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Hiawassee , Georgia
Man! Talk about being called out. I'm still here. Still in Utah, where it hasn't been that hot actually. Easier to work in than the humid south. I do need to post on the blog though, getting behind there. Since I posted here I've gone from supervising my 3 man crew in Provo to the whole project in Utah and Wyoming. Field supervisor promotion so yeah, a little extra cheddar.

I believe I'll be headed east come October. This new job requires me to do field evaluations during the winter so I'll be moving around a bit then heading back here come March. I plan to visit my Mom in Johnson City TN and my brother in Havelock NC so may be passing through Raleigh. Maybe you can recommend a good Carolina BBQ place we can meet up.

We are still hiring. Right now most of the winter work will be in the southeast and possibly near Dallas but not positive about that. I should know more later on the new projects.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
hey man...

glad to hear all is well. nice to hear you are a "super" now.. quite the deal for sure and i am sure the extra cabbage is not bad either..

I can understand when you are working and living life stuff get pushed to be back burner so to speak and now with all your responsibility and all it no wonder we have not heard from you guys..

have a good one and hope to see you on the flip side.

carl
Old 08-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
SOOO ..

just to update here a bit..

Kevin, aka Pepthedog is or was made the travelers (field inspectors) manager in I beleive March of this year. They, him and wife, are or were living in atlanta.

I sent him a email in march or so and they were looking for appz 10 new people at that time. When we got back in contact later they had only hired about 7 or so. (trying to get people to go to certain places at certain time is hard for retired people it seems.. )

When i was taking my AS to a local storage place to get weighed in april I missed a turn and wound up in the local natural gas utilities companies parking lot where there we two van with southern cross door magnets on them..

it is a small world..

not sure if he has filled the jobs, need more folks or what is going on. He was traveling more on airplanes vs the airstream so posting is a low priority.

I am sure if you are intrested in this type deal he would be willing to talk to you.

I know he still keep up with the airforums so shoot him a message.

ps: hope you are well my friend and doing good.. see you soon..
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
guess this thread is dead now.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
if anyone is interested in this job they are still hiring folks. they run ad in the workamper magazine on the regular.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 11.24.25 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	405384  
Old 10-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
This looks like a great opportunity, we're currently workamping until July/Aug 2022 but you can bet I'll be looking into it when time comes. Any idea on the lead time (time from hire to actually starting?).

Thanks!
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
they typically do the most work in summer up north and then you head south for the winter.. but from reading the post Kevin, (pepthedog) used to do, they would be in tenn and have cold and snow, then head to NC and sometimes south.

if you go online to check they may have more info..

the pay structure is quite good.. you get like $200 per person (working) per week for RV spot.. plus you get around .85 cents per mile when you move and .55 cents if or when you use your truck to move around during the day.. its not a bad deal if you like being outside, walking around with a gas detector that weighs maybe 5-8 lbs, good with people and dogs and not afraid to go on people property .. my understanding is the company does notify the neighborhood that folks will be out checking gas line.