Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Employment Opportunities from the Road

Many successful Airstreamers are making a living on the road today. What I would like to know is what are the employment opportunities for people traveling in Airstreams and how do they find them or are they all self employed? In that case, what education or fields are best suited for working from the road and can you offer success stories or perhaps opportunities? I have some productive years ahead but no particular place to go. Help!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
im self employed, i own a web design and internet marketing company.i don't full time, but could if hubby found a way to 'work from home'.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
As an unskilled senior trying to reinvent herself does anyone have ideas that I could employ to make an income to sustain myself living in an Airstream? I am not young and though I get interviews from my resumes I do not get chosen, which I can thororoughly understand from an employer's prospective but does not negate the urgency for me to procure employment as an unskilled senior. Perhaps very late to the party and hopefully a late bloomer I need workable solutions.

photography
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Wheel,

Things like Account Reps, Accountants, Nurses, etc... can be done while traveling.

Here's an idea, work for Airstream as a factory sales rep. going around to all the RV shows.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ewwee I like that! Actually anyone have a need for a body I am a body in need of a situation, call me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Wheel,

Things like Account Reps, Accountants, Nurses, etc... can be done while traveling.

Here's an idea, work for Airstream as a factory sales rep. going around to all the RV shows.

photography
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Send a message to Daisy on the Airstream List. She full-times and Work camps all over the place.
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Workamper news lists many jobs and camp hosting opportunities
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Carol, our son's in-laws own a campground, and could use a work camper or two. There are some jobs to be had in the area, though they are relatively low-paying, but unskilled. You can check the Asheville Craigslist employment ads to see if there's anything you'd like to do that's available.
Even if you don't want to go to that area, you can get a job as a work camper elsewhere for the free site rent, then get a job in that area to cover your other expenses.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Lots of good ideas here. I got a call today about funding for CNA training and I'm on a waiting list for that. I am on the Michigan Quality Care Council Registry for a home health care provider without a client presently. I have volunteer experience at a long term care facility in activities.

Going to RV shows as my job! WOW I would pay them to go if I had a job! Now I would love that.

We do get Workkamper magazine and last summer work camped in Wisconsin. I applied to the campgrounds in nearby Michigan this year. Daisy and Hunter are my idols. I don't think I am anywhere as sharp or saavy as they. I need to bring it down a notch or three or four. And there is Paula successful as a business owner! I have thought of learning the reservation system online to give me some experience for resorts or campgrounds.

It's the various fields that I am wondering would be appropriate and any areas.

Sales might be a good option since I wouldn't need to be hired. I just can't find the product yet.

You read about internet jobs and that I think I would like but then I also read they are mostly scams and you earn only pennies.

This was a very nice outpouring from you all. Sometimes I get in such a panic and think I can or should just be able to fix it like yesterday and its just taking a lot longer than I would have expected. Attainable sustainable and available, that's my criteria. It's been suggested that one make their needs known. It never hurts to ask and I have some things to think about now with your help. Thanks

Terry I'll pm you.

photography
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
There's workcamper and also one called 'caretaker.com' I think. We are airbrush restoration artists who are working on getting word out about traveling to worksites...so far it is working out. And I am banging at that door as hard as I can. Here's you all a motivation music video... luck, your airstream is going to open many many many doors for you....you will see, with a little prayer and a lot of belief you can do everything.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I LOVE Annie Lennox! Thanks for the video link.

As for a job, the only thing that crossed my mind is as a lightning rod sales person, as in the 1983 movie "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

Actually, I'd stick to being an RV show groupie...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You do amazing work redhawer! I have seen pictures of your wall murals. I love them! But that's cheating, you have talent. and I love this song. I have just downloaded it so I can listen to it often. A BIG thanks for the encouragement.

Latest on my quest an application to a dude ranch in Northern Montana. I wanna be a cowgirl! or a housekeeper and server as it is listed...

At any rate I am loading up the Airstream and fixing up a few things to become road worthy. Before long I hope to be all dressed up with or without any particular place to go and then head out for awhile.

Anyone else actively looking for seasonal work another good source is

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

Oh if anyone loves You Tube videos as much as I do you might want to get the you tube clip extractor. www.youtubeclipextractor.com You can even save as mp3s.

photography
Old 07-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If your so inclined....

My mother worked as an American Red Cross "Volunteer." in disaster services area. This actually translated into a paid, nearly full time job. Whats great was that it involved work all over the US
with some very nice folks. I always thought it would be a career that fit an Airstream lifestyle. I think FEMA has similar paid jobs available for on call employment. It keeps you on the move and varied activities....not to be bored. Probably not for the timid either.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I did forget to mention the CORPS of Engineers...I will see if I can stick a link in here. These folks are everywhere!, and they provide living places of various degrees, but it's all professional. And you trade out the space for some hours of your time. Once your hooked up, and they like you, you might be going all kinds of destiantions...here you go....www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway also this one to look at... Volunteer.gov/gov-America's Natural & Cultural Resources
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Luis Obispo , California
I work with a guy living in his TT here in Yellowstone at the Yellowstone Park Service Stations who is retired and gets jobs seasonally in different parks....i know last summer he was in the Tetons, this summer he is here with us, and he is looking at working in Yosemite next summer......its only seasonal, and i dont know whether or not he has any other income, but he is having a great time.
joelreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
This is very intertesting - I am 56 - widowed and thinking about semi-retiring in a couple years - This will be right up my alley. I will need some type of supplemental income though (unless I get my house sold). Right now I am the IT guy for an office equipment retail company. I am a Certified Canon copier technician and Certified Canon/Sharp Fax technician. I also work on computers and printers. I do just about everything there is to do with computers. I think I can get a job, hopefully. My girlfriend is a Manager of a convenience store and she is ready to move on. Stress is getting to her. She also used to be a nursing assistante but would need to be recertified. We will both need to work two more years to get the bills right and then off we go. This looks really great to me.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I don't have the link here...but I have a good friend who travels in a large motorhome and does door to door sales of aireal landscape/peoples homes photography by a company called 'Airphotoink.com' ...they fly helecopters over particular nice homes/ businesses etc. Then they send a 'proof photo package' to you. Then you make a commission on your sales. if I come across their link I will post it. The money is supposed to be pretty good. http://www.airphotoinc.com/oh here it is...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Carole, don't sell yourself short. With your keen eye and talent for photography you should pursue options in that field. You should make a professional portfolio of your "best of the best" and submit it to all the travel magazines and to state departments of tourism, parks and recreation and even to the departments of trade for the states where you have traveled and photographed. Don't forget the National Parks/Dept. of Interior as a prospect. You should also look into being a free lance travel writer for publications like Trailer Life, Condé Nash, and others. You should also contact book publishers to see if they have writers that need additional photographs for the books they publish. With all the places you have camped and traveled in the U.S. (and Canada?) you might even consider writing a travel/camping book yourself or publishing a collection of your photos. Your experiences and beautiful photographs you have amassed really give you a multitude of options.

You know I wish you more than just good luck, but the very best of luck. Keep us informed of what you decide to pursue.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Photography

Carol, here are a few thoughts to follow-up on what Minnie's Mate started. Along with a good strong portfolio (or several portfolios to target different audiences) get a web site up and going with a gallery of your photographs. Also, a separate gallery of stock images that are for sale. Remember to protect your work with copyrights that have been filed with the Library of Congress. Write up a sample article on some trip/rally/etc. so you can pass out samples of your work.

Lead a week long photo expedition - say Fall color in Michigan starting in the UP and working South?

Depending on where you will be traveling, COSTCO does a very good job of color printing. This can save you the hassle of hauling a professional quality printer in the trailer.

Airstream Life is another publication to target.

Best of luck and remember that the first sale is the hardest. F/8 and be there.

Howard

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
So many great ideas here and thank you for being so supportive and kind. Photography with or without an article and photo expeditions sound absolutely the things I would love to aspire to. Yet I seem to be leaning towards the plain garden variety of pay for hours worked and repetitive tasks verses creativity as far as a money maker at this particular point in my life. However an eye to the goal is that spoonful of sugar helping the medicine go down and hopefully, in the most delightful way.

WHA! I couldn't be a cowgirl and bring Oreo and I was seriously doubting I could step it up to that level with my first baby step. But wow what a gig! I have learned that the anxiety response is not bad but is a good one to help examine if the risk is worthwhile and then help to prepare for the likelihood of possible scenarios and problems to become better equipped to meet the challenge. As it turns out I don't think I could take a pet and subject him to the long Amazon shifts either, unfortunately for me. But Oreo could stay on at home and have the company of Koa and Kee Kee and roam his territory at will. My campground host inquiries were for couples and that settled that.

So now I am considering working in shipping for Amazon in either Kansas or Kentucky. The Kansas location season starts earlier, another month of employment. Kentucky will give a substantially higher bonus for completing the season, if you do, though at slightly lower wages. Full or part time opportunities exist and there is a need for 1000 workers. I hear it gets crazy after Thanksgiving with possible 60 hour weeks and even to start work days are 10 hours. One seasoned work camper of Amazon said to think of the work as free, even paid personal training on your way to walking (12-20 miles daily) into a better shape. Which I totally could use if I didn't die trying first, which would remain to be seen, but I prefer the optimist's approach...

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_4026_56292_large.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	108656 Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_4026_56291_large.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	108657

For an interesting and very descriptive look at Amazon work camping read this blog and follow the other articles at the end... And for fiberglass I really think their small camper is decked out very well for function and comfort in all seasons. It's really cute!

OH HEY and if you want to work at Amazon let me refer you and I might get $$$ or a chance at a Kindle! I actually just downloaded Kindle for PC and they have Kindle for IPod and some free classics to give it a spin. Adding on WordWeb gives dictionary features and all of this is absolutely free!

Peak Season Workamping at Amazon.com - Was it Worth it? | Tales from Technomadia

2009 Oliver Travel Trailer - Legacy Elite - 17' Fiberglass Egg | Tales from Technomadia