Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A BIG ditto here!.... Hey, get AIRSTREAM to pay you for promotional photos. Carol, I understand that you need a dependable income - but you love photography and you're really really good. You owe it to yourself to at least give photography a try, even if you just do it part time.

I don't want to discourage you about the Amazon job - but be prepared to really invest in some good running shoes... 10 hours on a concrete floor on your feet running... can be rough if you're 25. Of course if you get started BEFORE Christmas rush starts and working your way up to those 10 hour shifts would help. We work with a lot of UPS drivers, and several tell us that the trick is to switch shoes at lunch. Just having a fresh (well? relatively) pair will help your feet a lot.

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Carole, don't sell yourself short. With your keen eye and talent for photography you should pursue options in that field. You should make a professional portfolio of your "best of the best" and submit it to all the travel magazines and to state departments of tourism, parks and recreation and even to the departments of trade for the states where you have traveled and photographed. Don't forget the National Parks/Dept. of Interior as a prospect. You should also look into being a free lance travel writer for publications like Trailer Life, Condé Nash, and others. You should also contact book publishers to see if they have writers that need additional photographs for the books they publish. With all the places you have camped and traveled in the U.S. (and Canada?) you might even consider writing a travel/camping book yourself or publishing a collection of your photos. Your experiences and beautiful photographs you have amassed really give you a multitude of options.

You know I wish you more than just good luck, but the very best of luck. Keep us informed of what you decide to pursue.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
One word: support hose...

Well, If one is good, two is three times better!

Stephen

Oh, I'm a Registered Nurse traveling in our Airstream. We've only had her for a couple of months, but its working out quite well so far.

S
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Check out the website Work for RVers and Campers

Tax Lawyer and Accountant, Martin M. Shenkman, Looks at RV Business Legal Issues

they list all sorts of job opportunities and have articles and guidance on what you can do. I write their tax column, often while sitting in our 19' Airstream!

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You remind me of an old fellow I used to know. He was about 70 at the time, he rented a room from me in the winter and traveled with a trailer in the summer.

He was a semi retired sign painter and house painter. I say semi retired because he still did a few signs and lettered trucks if someone asked but didn't seek out business. He had quit painting houses years before.

But here comes the good part. He had some interesting ways of making money when he traveled.

When he made a sign for someone it was usually painted on masonite. He saved the leftover masonite and cut it into pieces from a little under a foot to perhaps 2 feet. On these he painted landscapes of typical Canadian forests and lakes with pine and birch trees.

The whole picture was done it 2 minutes with a 2 or 3" brush and leftover house paint and they looked great, no kidding. First he would lay a few pieces of masonite flat on a table. He would draw a birch tree in white paint then add some horizontal streaks of black, fill in the leaves with dabs of green and black mixed together. Paint a lake with pine trees on the distant shore then drag the brush down thru the trees into the water to make shadows. The sky of blue paint with white clouds sort of smeared in. It was amazing.

He would knock out a dozen of these in half an hour. When he went camping he took a stack of them along with his easel and wooden artist's kit with tubes of artist paint, sable brushes, turpentine and so on.

On nice days he would set up his easel beside the lake and start painting a picture. Not like I described above, but little dabs and brush strokes with much squinting at his thumb LOL.

Pretty soon this would draw a crowd of kibitzers and someone would ask if they could buy the painting. He would say "this one won't be done for a couple of days but I happen to have one here I finished yesterday". He always happened to have one he finished yesterday LOL. Going price $5, $10, up to $20 depending on size and remember this was 30 years ago.

Ya it was a bit of a swizz but the punters got something for their money, a genuine oil painting and a way better souvenir of their trip than some cheap Japanese toy.
.................................................. .................................................. .................

He had other things he would do like go around rural areas offering to paint mail boxes and letter the family's name with a little picture to boot. He could do the name and a little decoration in a few minutes and charge $5, more than most people made in an hour back then.

If you are not an artist do you have any other skills? There are temporary employment agencies around the country where you can pick up work but of course, the better jobs require skills.

Tax preparers make good money but of course, this is seasonal. If you have a little accounting knowledge, the big companies offer free training every spring.

I suppose it is a matter of taking your skills and figuring out how to use them in new ways. Like anything else, once you get into it you will figure it out and get better and more confident as you go along.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Carol,

Pursuing a career in healthcare is a very good way to go. There are a number of jobs in every state as we all need healthcare. There are number organizations that look for people to fill temporary and permanent positions. Becoming a CNA is a relatively short program and can lead to immediate work. In some areas they will pay for your training if you in turn agree to work for them for a certain amount of time. Only down side is that you have to obtain a license for every state your work in. This is where a temp organization can be helpful. They sometimes will help you with this and in some cases pay the fees as they are interested in placing you in a job to fill a need.

I’m in healthcare and have worked for temp groups before. Richard and I are considering this and working on the road right about now. Thanks for starting this thread. It is very interesting and encouraging.

Robin
PS Stephenh2 do you work for a temp group? If so which one?

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch View Post
PS Stephenh2 do you work for a temp group? If so which one?
Hi Robin,

I work for an agency that has a department specializing in "travel nursing". They also recruit other health care professions besides nursing. Send me a PM and I'll send you the info on my agency and try and answer any questions you have.

Stephen
Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Maybe you can be an Airstream finder for me...lol

I am sorta land bound at the moment but still traveling. I have full timed and I ship Airstreams and vintage cars to the UK on my computer from wherever I am sitting

www.vintage-americana.co.uk

+44 (0)7984 662 532

Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
This year has been an interesting one for me with various duties in health care. I have been employed as an activities assistant at a long term care facility, a dietary aide, and a registered home health aide. Moving towards Santapalooza I am going to strike out now in a different direction and work at Amazon's Kentucky distribution center for the holiday season. Afterwards, the local school district has called to schedule an interview for food service and I may just follow up on that when I return to Michigan. However I am always keeping my eye on the cool jobs and destinations offered to work campers and dreaming of streaming and walking about with my camera.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The FDIC is hiring. My wife is working for them and we travel all over Texas , New Mexico and Colorado.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it, Wheel Interested.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank you Lisa. I think that right here on Air Forums there must be quite a few Airstreamers that do seasonal work or travel and find work on the road and not only the rich and famous but from all walks of life, or would that be all rides of life?? There's a lot to do out there and its nice to hear from others on just what they are doing and what the experience is like and take away tips, and energy, to help equip ourselves on the road ahead.

Jack that's a great area for traveling. I envy you two. How's the transition from stick and mortar to fulltime Airstreaming?

photography
Old 10-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
A couple of interesting opportunities from Bates RV in Florida;

People to hand out bags at Tampa RV Super Show, Jan. 12-16, 4 to 8 hours a day. Pay $7.25 per hours contact Frank Bates

RV sales school free, Tampa, FL Jan. 3rd to 10th. If you enjoy RVs or have good RV knowledge, we will train you in RV Sales. This is our 6th school held in 8 years. Graduates can make $10,000 plus a month. School held at Bates RV. Receive training from sales pros, factory reps, and previous graduates. Limited openings for school, men and women welcome. After school graduates will sell at nations largest RV show Tampa RV Super Show. Sales positions can be full or part time many graduates work seasonally, your choice. Sell in winter, travel summer. This is commission job. There is no pay for school and no campground sites provided. For more info on Bates RV see: BatesRV.com

photography
Old 10-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Selma , Alabama
This is a serious post.... ;-)

You can travel and do UXO work (that's my line of work). UXO stands for unexploded ordnance. The one catch is that you have to graduate UXO school, there are schools in TX,TN, and Colorado. School takes approx. 6 weeks and cost $6,000. Starting pay as a tech I is $22-$24 dollars, plus per diem and benefits-in-kind (around $3.60/ an hour now I believe). Per diem runs anywhere from $90 to $140 dollars a day. If anyone is interested drop me a note.

JDavid
JDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
WOW JDavid interesting work and that would certainly seem to fix anyone's money problems... one way or another. Just teasing, thanks for posting. You must have some real interesting stories and have nerves of steel!

I like that people are posting opportunities in this thread. There are things I have never even thought of before and all out there waiting for the right person(s.)

photography
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Selma , Alabama
Some work pics.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picresized_th_1226479572_Hand_Excavation_of_Dynamite_Case.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	112695   Click image for larger version

Name:	picresized_th_P8060013.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	112696  

Name:	picresized_th_Alaska_Pics-_All_1282.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	112697   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8100033.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	112698  

Old 10-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Selma , Alabama
A few more.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB190051.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	112699   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB190064.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	112700  

Name:	P3040029.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	112701   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190021.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	112702  

Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Selma , Alabama
And some more.... (Last ones ;-})
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3190061.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	112703   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110038.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	112704  

Name:	PB200117.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	112705   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2120040.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	112706  

Old 10-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Cle Elum , Washington
Wow! Awesome looking job, JDavid, but looks a little dangerous. Great pictures though. Especially the animal paw print ... looks like a very large bear!
denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
This is a neat thread.

A central personal question to bring to ground is really knowing what you want out of "working on the road" - do you want a full income? travel expenses? a little spending money? satisfaction of just being busy? satisfaction of doing something good?

Getting a professional income out of your work probably means doing a bit of homework - but your playing field is anything that can be done from a computer and telephone - or anything where your skills are needed in the field (and from your Airstream).

Supplementary income? - a little spending money?: maybe add some crafty items - that kind of stuff you can do on the road - or what about workkamping - most workkamping sites now have some sort of financial compensation as well as free accommodation - or then again - what about guiding some tours? - it's been several years since I looked but I seem to recall no shortage of tour services seeking trip leaders.

Something just to stay busy?: that doesn't usually seem to be a problem - and if it does - it usually means I really don't want to find something to be busy at on that particular day ....

Something to feel good about?: these are neat - Habitat for Humanity comes to mind - lots of projects in lots of places - but there are others - you don't need to go overseas to make a contribution.

Apart from all the activities that go along with Streaming - my own satisfaction on the road comes from being heavily involved with a large charity - the work that I do doesn't pay a penny - but it is enjoyable to take with me on the road - in fact I find it an incredible hoot to be "slaving" away while taking in the view of a great lake or mountain - or whatever .....

Lots and lots of choices .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #40
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Very good post Jay, I find that after retiring from a life time of miltary service just cant get into doing nothing not needing much to live on we have as worked home improvement contractors for a retail home improvement firm about 7 years of it and made a lot of cash which we put into our vintage airstream now we got all we needed to be more secure on the road so we are work campers at parks and loving it we are working 6 days a week 2 hours a day for site and around 1,300 cash great gig and lots of time to site see and play with our canoe and bikes. there are so much work to keep a person busy and add a little income best life I can think of for now. And JDavid great info on your job, done that with the 75th out of Lewis but in other countrys hats off stay safe
scorpiontimo is offline   Reply With Quote