Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Does anybody work serial part time jobs while full-timing? What I mean is...

I'm wondering if anybody here full times, but travels and spends long enough in one place to just get a part time (or full time) job, like at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc, in between moves? I'm getting close to retirement, and I want to full time. But I don't necessarily want to be constantly moving. I was thinking more along the lines of:

1. Pick a destination and go.
2. If I like the location, then find a job (any job), stay a few months until I'm tired of it, and then refer back to step 1.
3. If I don't like the location, then refer back to step 1.
4. Repeat.

Does anybody here approach full timing like that? If so, how successful are you at finding a job when you get somewhere and decide to stay for a while?

I don't really need the income, but whatever income I do get would just be extra savings/rainy day fund/spending money/etc.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Chris and G Travels on YouTube - they work in the winter and the summer and travel spring/fall. Mostly hospitality industry.

Mortons on the Move on YouTube have mentioned doing short jobs. He's very handy so I think they are handy person type jobs.

At the RTR (Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Quartzsite) they have people come who are specifically looking to hire seasonal workers - Amazon, National Parks, etc.

(I work for the same companies I worked for in a house - I had set up some remote content management / content writing work and I do a few other specialty tasks in my field.)
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
I'm wondering if anybody here full times, but travels and spends long enough in one place to just get a part time (or full time) job, like at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc, in between moves? I'm getting close to retirement, and I want to full time. But I don't necessarily want to be constantly moving. I was thinking more along the lines of:

1. Pick a destination and go.

2. If I like the location, then find a job (any job), stay a few months until I'm tired of it, and then refer back to step 1.

3. If I don't like the location, then refer back to step 1.

4. Repeat.

Does anybody here approach full timing like that? If so, how successful are you at finding a job when you get somewhere and decide to stay for a while?

I don't really need the income, but whatever income I do get would just be extra savings/rainy day fund/spending money/etc.

We work at Adventureland amusement park for the season and take the winter off. Working ok for now. No matter what you do find an area and stay for a month or two. So many small festivals and other things to do that you would never go to if traveling.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Attica , Michigan
I've been thinking about trying this with the wife in a few years when I can retire. Basically supplement my pension. Wife is a Vet Tech with lots of bar tending exp, and I'm a sheet metal guy(Journey man Tinsmith) working on a culinary arts degree in baking and pastry arts. Thinking with our training/ work experience we will be able to find at least part time jobs just about anywhere. Still debating whether we want to sell everything and do it, keep the house and maybe rent it out, or just do like month long trips and try to maintain part time jobs in our current town. Fortunately we have a couple years to figure it out.
Myelfself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Atoka , Tennessee
Very interesting thoughts and comments. While I can't contribute, still working full time and restoring my AS, I am very interested in just this plan. I hope by now you've discovered some perfect solutions that bring you the goals you seek. Thanks for the post.
DDFran is offline   Reply With Quote