Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
Great info guys, again a big thanks!

Maybe this was meant to be by divine intervention, a Craigslist add put up exactly 3 almost new Mich LTX M/S2 tires that I was in need of for the trailer! So I purchased them tonight on the way home from work. I run LT245/75/16Es, instead of old bias ply sizing, granted ST225/80R16 would be close.

The travel "journey" has been approved, but they neglected to address any form of mileage or "rent"... So like everyone else I guess it ends up as a donation to Uncle Sam for the convenience of having my own TT instead of planes,trains, and automobiles.

... I did end up with a few weekends at the beach, so no complaints. Gotta love FL!

FWIW for Veterans, Active Military, or Federal contractors (CAC holders), there are multiple military sponsored campgrounds that are a screaming deal $ wise! Some are part of bases (can be restrictive if you are loud or drink sloppily), but others are set aside MRC (Military Recreation Center?) that are all about family fun for soldiers. Worth checking out if you have the option, because the location and value are unparalleled.

M.Hony, seems like your employer would put in something! That just doesn't seem fair if you aren't using any hotel allowance. That is saving them a bundle.

We used to have a traveling cable crew for running copper and fiber network infrastructure throughout CONUS. A few rolled RVs, but mostly to keep the wives and/or family with them. Sadly, they got per diem for food and campsite fees paid, but no mileage between sites and only one paid "travel day". So the long runs were tough. Then again the young guys owned nothing and banked it all.

I'll keep you all posted in the next week as this plan comes together!

Other: 1979 Porsche 911 SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the bottom line is that he didn't want me to have too much fun or he didn't want to pay for my trailer but me own it...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
It's a very common practice out here in the oilfields for companies to pay an individual for using their trailers or RVs on the job site. The drilling consultants, directional drillers, fishermen, and gate guards are some that benefit from this policy. I originally bought my Airstream to use in the oilfield but after consideration bought an SOB for the job. The environment in the oilfield can be very detrimental to travel trailers.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
SStar, housing for the roughnecks in ND is crazy $$$! From an employer perspective they are way better off having people in trailers than spending for hotels or apartments. I spent some time in Minot ND and that was a unique experience seeing a modern boomtown.

... I don't think I would drag anything I cared about for an extended stay up north either!

Other: 1979 Porsche 911 SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote