Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Deep South , Texas
Born Free U.S.A just up the road...

I have been oil field gate guarding going on two years and full-timing going on 4 years. We moved to a new gate two months ago and slowly we are finding out information about the gate 100 yards up the dead-end road we are working on. The image below is the sign on the gate. My German Shorthaired Pointer Chelsea and I took a walk up the road and Chelsea stopped and pointed. Whenever she points and her tail points way up, I know it is something more than a lizard. I looked up the road at the gate and there stood 8 red-faced baboons. They ran off the road or jumped in the tree at the sight of us. I turned and walked back to the trailer because I didn't want to disrupt their evening (I didn't have my camera anyway). The next day, I talked to a rancher from up the road and he informed me of the packs of apes that sometimes get loose and roam the area. They ate 150 lbs. of corn from his deer feeder the other night. They always return back to the sanctuary because of safety and food. They are smart enough to lay a dead tree over the electrified fence that holds them in. This is a sanctuary that houses 696 apes...from baboons to Japanese snow monkeys. They are brought to the sanctuary from laboratories, unsuitable private ownership and other places that just can't treat them like they ought to be treated. They are free to roam around the hundreds of acres in packs like they would in nature. Sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust. There stories can be found at the websites below. Anyway, thought it was something that might interest some of my fellow ASers. You can go to their website @ Welcome to Born Free USA or on facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/BornFreeUSA .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4454.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	194141  

Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!