Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Working on the Road
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #21
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It sounds like a good retirement gig, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. My husband and I are still younger working people with jobs. Our time is not our own.
So, the crux of the issue is you don't own your time? You do live in America, yes?

. . . so you want all the other taxpayers' tax dollar subsidies to pay government agencies to make it as easy as possible for you to find an "unpaid" FHU parking spot (~$600 - $900 value), possibly with a stipend, since your taskmaster of choice won't let you have the time to do your own research?

You don't seem to have chosen well who owns your time. I'd recommend starting with a mirror to find the owner and ditch the victim mask; it'll make your life better and retirement more fun.

IMO, the folks that will actually work at these types of jobs are the ones who will work at finding them. I've seen the other kind "at work", enjoying the benefits, "entitled to the handout", without effort in-kind.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
No, we actually do have to work at our jobs and maintain incomes - we realize that not everyone does, but we are not in that socioeconomic class. My husband is an aerospace engineer, a flight controller for the International Space Station, a job that routinely requires after hours and weekend work at Johnson Space Center. I've run my own small business profitably for the past 11 years. Anyone who can make the same business ownership claim knows that such a gig is far more demanding than the typical nine-to-five.

So no, we have existing commitments that prevent us from taking on large-scale volunteer projects. It sounds like YOU, on the other hand, have time on your hands, so maybe you would be a good candidate to make headway on what we're talking about here.

I would warn you, however, that the world will not be so easily fooled into thinking that FHU host sites have an effective value of $600 - $900 per month. If that were true, people would be flocking to them and we wouldn't be seeing so many vacant host sites. As a point of reference, I believe our closest private Airstream community charges $300/mo, and that's for FHU in a well-kept waterfront facility.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Guest hosting

If you want to guest host at a state park. Suggest contacting the state you are interested in. We guest hosted at Cloudland Canyon (Ga), will be at Black Rock Mtn (Ga) this coming summer.
Good luck
Jerry lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Work Camping

I am into my 8th month of work camping for the same property owner in a different state. I started at their campground in Michigan in April and worked thru Labor Day.

Went south to deal with elderly parents and then rejoined the same owner at their Florida campground near Inverness in November. Planning to be here at least till May.

All of the private owned campground are looking for quality people to work in their operations in exchange for site rental + utilities. Sometimes they will pay a stipend and or hourly wage for anything worked over 25 hours per week. If you have a favorite campground, reach out to the owners and share your experience and areas you might contribute too. Housekeeping and guest service areas (crafts, sewing, painting, biking, dance and cooking classes are always popular)

Personally I started as an auditor then expanded to reservations, now covering a shift on the front desk and might be leading some bike groups on the nearby trails. Remember to network....everybody who owns an RV has a story. Just ask them
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We've done a few stints as campground hosts at two Missouri State parks. Last summer we were at a commercial campground for the birth of our third grandchild. The owner of the campground noticed how we acted and how we dealt with some of the neighbors. As we were getting ready to leave he came out to talk to us and told us that the next time we were going to be in the area he'd like for us to cover some shifts in the office in exchange for a free site. We'll keep it in mind the next time we're headed that way.

BTW, many State parks are in need of campground hosts. Check what's involved in getting signed up at each State's park system page.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #26
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I "fell" into my current Camp Host gig by camping here, and in conversation the ranger made me an offer. It's been a great experience, and this position will be available in April, when I must leave to transit back to Tennessee.

Here in Sandy Beach County Park, we have 42 pull through sites with 30 amp and water (Host site has sewer), a dump station, boat launch, and day use area. Daily duties are extremely flexible - you do as much as you feel like doing. The position is mainly here for safety, as an off-hours presence for emergencies.
The camp is halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, right on the Sacramento River. Rio Vista is the nearest city. Walmarts and wineries within 25 miles, it is the perfect spot to save money on camp fees for a few months. IF you are interested, send me a message, and I can give you more info and perhaps send an application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	331487  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Just an added update.....for those who are retired military or carrying some type of ID card....most of the FAMCamps on military bases will have a host on duty position. If interested its best to reach out to the Manager directly. Some places like Key West NAS are packed each winter but will need 6-8 hosts.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI this is a fairly old thread. Good "camp host" search results disclose good food for thought in a variety of other disparate threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...com&gws_rd=ssl

Peter

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Since my post in January, 2018, we've been busy. We're at our fifth Missouri SP now, and next month will find us at the sixth. We've also hosted at a Tennessee SP.

Can you host year-round? Possibly. You would probably have to have a fairly small travel area, since you would basically drive from one park to the next. Not all parks have hosts all year long, so that would have to be figured in as well.

One other possible issue: the longer you stay in any one State, the more likely you are to trigger residency issues. Those vary from one State to another, but basically you are considered a resident after being in a State for a certain period of time. That would mean that you would be required to license your vehicles there and get a driver's license there. You would also be subject to their various taxes. Of course, if you are hosting in your own State none of this applies.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote